Howard Stringer keynote speech @ CEATEC

He had a lot to say about the CELL microprocesser. Indeed half of Sony's future is banking on the CELL technology and it surely is the de facto standard for all the future products that Sony will be bringing out in the coming years. How Sony will implement the CELL into general consumer products isn't clear yet. What's obvious is that Sony has decided to make it's move towards the high-definition era and it sees CELL technology as something that can guarantee Sony a major leap ahead of it's competitors. Stringer's words were more than a proof of this observation.

Wow half of Sony's future. I hope it works out for them.

"The PS3 is only the beginning for CELL. That's why industry analysts called CELL a monumental technological advance. In our new CELL development center, we have a team dedicated to developing new applications for CELL technology. Currently customers directly communicate and share images and videos with eachother through portable devices. In order to enhance the customer experience we'll look for ways to integrate intelligence into our devices. New intelligent devices will be powered by smaller and more powerful processors and will be directly connected to one another or through the internet."

I'm starting to believe that they are really thinking about using CELLs to work through the internet. Interesting.

"The adoption of HD technology will lead to enormous opportunities for sales of high-definition devices and content. That's why we're increasing the percentage of Sony products supporting HD from 35% today to 75% in fiscal year 2007. High-Defintion will be the center of the digital living room and so will Sony."

Expect other companies to follow. This is how more people will buy HD sets. The companies will basically force it on them. Great.

"We're currently testing discs in our labs with a capacity to store 22-23 hours or more of high-definition video. And because of its superior storage capacity we have obtained broad support for Blu-ray from the IT industry and the majority of major film studios". Quoting paramount's official statment, Sony's boss said that one of the key factors for Paramount joining the Blu-ray association was Bluray's inclusion as a standard disc player inside the Playstation 3 game console.

WOW!!:oops:

Link http://www.ps3portal.com/?view=article&article=193&PHPSESSID=6fc7b63a78bc4fcc60469ae6724276d5]LINK
Care to discuss.

AlphaWolf said:
If sony is banking that much on HD they'd be best to bring down the price of their units.

Agreed, otherwise they will never become mainstream and that will only benefit their competitors that will not try to "force" consumers the HD era. Somehow I feel everyone or atleast many are really rushing to this "HD era", why?...

Platon said:
Agreed, otherwise they will never become mainstream and that will only benefit their competitors that will not try to "force" consumers the HD era. Somehow I feel everyone or atleast many are really rushing to this "HD era", why?...

Of course they would still go mainsteam, all people have to see is that " Sony " badge on the machine and bam....they buy it. That was always the case when i worked in a electrical store, people ALWAYS wanted Sony even if the prduct was not as good as others.

People trust the Sony badge, and that is what Microsoft and Nintendo are fighting, not the PS3 but the Sony name.

scatteh316 said:
People trust the Sony badge, and that is what Microsoft and Nintendo are fighting, not the PS3 but the Sony name.

Perhaps that instead of fighting the Sony name and Brand recognition ,they sould improve their own ?

scatteh316 said:
Of course they would still go mainsteam, all people have to see is that " Sony " badge on the machine and bam....they buy it. That was always the case when i worked in a electrical store, people ALWAYS wanted Sony even if the prduct was not as good as others.

I don't know if tha is so valid anymore. Sure, people might have the perseption that Sony=quality and prefer them over many competitors but then you also have the cold harsh reality where not everyone has the $ to buy the latest stuff and the most high end stuff. Actually that is the reality for the absolute majority of people, it is the pocket that dictates your purchases most of the time. And I think that is a bit that Sony is realizing as it seems that their other divisions except the PS are not doing that great and have a really stiff competitions from cheaper companies...

_phil_ said:
Perhaps that instead of fighting the Sony name and Brand recognition ,they sould improve their own ?

By now I would say that the Playstation as a brand is bigger than Sony, by that I mean that people are bying it mostly because it says Playstation on it, not Sony...

Platon said:
By now I would say that the Playstation as a brand is bigger than Sony, by that I mean that people are bying it mostly because it says Playstation on it, not Sony...
I agree, I know at least two people that have a PlayStation (not hardcore players obviously) and they've been surprised when they've learned that a Playstation is indeed a Sony device :).
On the other hand, one of them is the same person who thought the xbox is a new PlayStation... PlayStation Xbox :D

AlphaWolf said:
If sony is banking that much on HD they'd be best to bring down the price of their units.

Man your word is The Truth.

SONY STOP RIPPING POOR SONY-BUYING-FREAKS LIKE ME OFF! Dammit i had to resort buying "cheaper" electronics from other companies, that's just not right! ;)

Dr Evil said:
Cell is not small..., but it could very well power psp2 in few years.

I think it is very very possible. Cell is not necessarily "the Cell in PS3". Being a very scalable processor, PSP2 would just need a smaller version. Definately not a 3.2GHz chip with a full double core PPE and 7-8 SPEs which would just be a total waste, and carbonise our hands in 2.43 seconds! But a smaller version could very well make it there.

london-boy said:
I think it is very very possible. Cell is not necessarily "the Cell in PS3". Being a very scalable processor, PSP2 would just need a smaller version. Definately not a 3.2GHz chip with a full double core PPE and 7-8 SPEs which would just be a total waste, and carbonise our hands in 2.43 seconds! But a smaller version could very well make it there.
1 GHz 1:4 Cell would be very fast for a handheld and I imagine very do-able.

Just started reading that article and in the beginning I read this...
Sony's PSP, only 9 months after it's launch has sold "Six million" units. Most successful portable game console in history.
Huh?! How is PSP the most successful portable in history? What on earth is their criteria?

Platon said:

Because Bill Clinton, FCC, and the 911 Commission said so…

Well, since every single piece of console has or will be "the most succesfull ever"...at least somewhere, sometime, in some analysts opinion.... what did you expect ;)
Standard PR talk, nothing that hasn't been heard countless times before.

Shifty Geezer said:
Just started reading that article and in the beginning I read this...
Huh?! How is PSP the most successful portable in history? What on earth is their criteria?

Well.... It IS the most successful one among all handhelds that use UMD and are called PSP!

I stopped reading this article proper when I relaized it was all postd before on this forum. Things about 'high-definition and high-drama' and 'twice the power of XB360' and the imprtance of Cell have been covered elsewhere already. Nothing at all of interest in the thread.

Back