Howard Stringer keynote speech @ CEATEC

Ssome sony products are so overrated and overpriced imo. Eg: the pioneer Plasma Display Panels's (specially the 435XDE) and a few of the Fujitsu's piss all over the Sony ones.

Ims

ims said:
Ssome sony products are so overrated and overpriced imo. Eg: the pioneer Plasma Display Panels's (specially the 435XDE) and a few of the Fujitsu's piss all over the Sony ones.

Ims

Agreed, although the Pioneer isn't exactly cheap either. Not sure what the price of the Fujitsu is.

Today it's better to go for Samsung, Hitachi or Toshiba, they make very affordable sets of medium to high quality.

london-boy said:
But SED is basically CRT-by-pixel, so it looks like a plasma or LCD but u get CRT-like images, more or less... u do know that... right? ;)
Yeah, SED's are FED's, only Toshiba's solution doesn't use carbon...

So far, some of the biggest proponents of this approach could be Canon and Toshiba. The two manufacturers have formed a joint venture to make surface conduction electron emission (SED) panels, and Toshiba will produce large-screen SED televisions in 2006. Although Canon and Toshiba's description of SEDs is very similar to that of FEDs, the two companies are using a different particle than carbon, industry analysts said.

SED's can't be bad if Canon's involved. I've a Canon 35mm SLR that's very cool so I have an afinity for Canon as a company. But without a technology equally geeky sounding as Carbon Nanotubes they just can't get me excited enough to care.

I'd recommend 2-Dimensional Vortex Nanoprojection Technology. That'll sell SED to me.

SED, next-gen plasmas, LCD, OLED - there's plenty on the horizon to look forward to in display technology.

As for Sony, I think the move towards all HD sets is a good one; they need to re-barnish their image as a maker of high-end electronics, and to me that means all high-end, all high-quality. Restore the brand luster. From there, they can move back downmarket with some lower priced offerings. But if Sony doesn't rebuild the value of it's brand name, then the price premiums it charges based on such will be forever diminishing, and as one knows in the modern CE space, if you can't charge more based on brand, then you're going to lose out to commodity players.

I agree. I also knew Sony as the more expensive, high-end product. You paid more to get more. For cheaper tech you bought cheaper brands.

Shifty Geezer said:
I agree. I also knew Sony as the more expensive, high-end product. You paid more to get more. For cheaper tech you bought cheaper brands.

I think the point i was making was that Sony were overpriced (imo) in that PDP market compared to some of the rivals. I mean some of the Fujitsu panels are absolutely superlative. But yeh in general you get what you pay for. Just with Sony I feel that you pay more for the badge name than the quality of the product nowadays (imo). I dont think it used to be like that 5 years ago

Ims

ims said:
I think the point i was making was that Sony were overpriced (imo) in that PDP market compared to some of the rivals. I mean some of the Fujitsu panels are absolutely superlative. But yeh in general you get what you pay for. Just with Sony I feel that you pay more for the badge name than the quality of the product nowadays (imo). I dont think it used to be like that 5 years ago

Ims

As of today, that's the case yes. I'm sure they'll fix up. Their Wega Engine is quite promising, they have Samsung panels on their flat screens. It's just a matter of getting the right technology and price it competitively.

Simply put, there are better flat screens than Sony's, and at a cheaper price to boot!

Exactly. Where Sony needs to go is to have the best flat screens out there, or at least equivelent, and then go ahead and charge more for them. They need to go back to being the Louis Vuitton of electronics, to use an analogy out of left-field. People will willingly pay more for perceived quality, and it's imperetive that Sony rebuild that brand luster... because it's been sliding a little of late in the consumer electrnics space.

Can anyone offer any insight as to what's in use in the TV media industry? It used to be the case that every monitor and bank of screen used Sony Trinitrons. Do they still command this space or are other companies making inroads? That's always been one of the strong points of the Sony home brand, that they service a lot of professional equipment too. Whether you're filming a home movie or a multi-million dollar Hollywood epic, Sony cameras are an option and used to be the option of choice for most that could afford it.

Of course, kudos to other companies for catching up and overtaking in the technologies. I'd like to know how these rivals compare in pro space though.

Back