How will NVidia counter the release of HD5xxx?

What will NVidia do to counter the release of HD5xxx-series?

• GT300 Performance Preview Articles

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • New card based on the previous architecture

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • New and Faster Drivers

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Something PhysX related

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Powerpoint slides

Votes: 61 41.5%
  • They'll just sit back and watch

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The rebrand is fine and dandy until people find out that some G300 cards are not DX11 compatible while some are. If this happens, then Nvidia just one upped themselves in messing up their line up.
:no:

Not much ;) What if someone visiting you would like to play at the same time as you, and your wife needs to do some eBuying?

2xGame capable PC's, 2xXBOX360, NintendoDS, Laptop and Nettop are enough for me :cool:
But I have few brothers and sister who can visit me anytime, so I need to be well prepared!

Sorry for OT, but this thread is funny anyway ;)

this is what I may do : a HTPC/server rig with atom 330 or low power Athlon X2 (you don't have a server PC? :p ), maybe the 45W Athlon II X3/X4 to come, used for VPN/game server/whatever/ file, printer scanner sharing etc. + movie, music playback + PXE boot server.. and will serve a desktop for additional thin clients (junk pentium 2 with junk 15"/17" CRT + junk keyb/mouse)

(I'll live with 4 or 5 co-renters)

No consoles. they suck, and I will use a Sega Megadrive + 14" Atari monitor.
No portable shit for me, except a Dingoo A32011 I will get : a chinese handheld which like a mix between a GBA, a PSP and a GP32 for 65€ :);

Recent rumors of GTX 275s flooding the market makes me think yet another price drop is in the works. Sub-$200 GTX 275s would be attractive to a lot of users that still think Nvidia is synonymous with PC gaming and wouldn't give an ATi card a second glance, no matter how fast or what features it brings to the table.

I second that. with a slight price drop on the 285.
I voted "nvidia sits back and watch", thinking they'll use their current stuff ; as for the 40nm offerings I believe it will be something like, 80% for laptops, 20% for OEM, none for retail.

Silly season. It's better to have a few threads to let people vent in rather than have it spilling all over the board. :yep2:

I respectfully submit that this topic serves no purpose even with the cleaned up list of poll answers.

And it is clearly not doing a thing in keeping people like Neliz spilling the anti-Nvidia bile all over the board. It's almost like WaltC is back, minus the elaborate wording.

Pot, kettle, black.

Why is this troll topic even open?
Woah, slow down.

1. Your sarcasm meter is broken, neliz is one of the good posters here and with very good sense of humor. (See sig ;))
2. Why is this a troll topic? You can openly participate and hold your own opinion. Its only you who's having a problem with this thread.

Would someone plz spell things out for me. This is my impression of what's going to happen soon.

ATI: 256-bit GDDR5 supposedly 1600 SP GPU coming very soon. ~2x RV770
NV: 512-bit GDDR5 very huge GPU. >2x GTX 285. Coming far off?

I don't keep up on the streaming rumor threads enough....

Now, how extraordinarily evil is that?? :eek:
Rebranding before product launch!
This is only half of the GT216 story - if the GT216-based adapter will be called GeForce GT335, somebody could wonder, what is under the heatsink of GeForce GT230...

Surprise - it's not a DX10.1 GPU, it's not even a 40nm GPU... it's old G92 again:

(thanks to Krteq for photos)

So... GeForce GT230 is in fact GeForce 9600GSO with 4-times more VRAM (1,5GB vs. 384MB) :D

And it is clearly not doing a thing in keeping people like Neliz spilling the anti-Nvidia bile all over the board. It's almost like WaltC is back, minus the elaborate wording.

Thank you too!

Maybe you should read this?

I hope it's obvious for you that the marketing department of Rebrandopolis is not ready for DX11 and WILL push DX10/10.1 parts out to make sure the adoption rate of DX11 remains low until nVidia deems it the right time for DX11. We've seen this before and YOU as an enthusiast should feel bothered by this too. We have it all but in writing from Jen-Hsun that they won't have a DX11 part on the market before 2010. (well.. at least you don't)

It caught nVidia Marketing completely off-guard that they were actually still producing DX10.1 parts (after GT212/214 were cancelled) so their whole routine "meh dx10.1" had to be thrown out the window. I don't know if you've registered his latest statement about how DX11 games are probably two years out. So .. when the Geforce 380 launches.. oh.. say between January and march 2010, will DX11 games still be 1,5 years out by then? Or will they have some nice games to run on it, demos to show and benchmarks to perform, all in DX11?

They have spent the best part of this year trying to produce GT216/8 in quantity, they have failed, miserably.. it's trickling into the market now. GT215 is up for December to combat Redwood . This situation will "not be favorable" at best.

I'm also sorry for not being a native English speaker, I simply lack the skills to transcribe my thoughts into a proper technical English scripture as I belong to the Germanic race.

So, when you're looking at the latest set of rebranded G92 benchmarks in October or hear about how great DX10.1 is in Win7 and how nVidia allows you to finally enjoy the true power of WDDM 1.1 thanks to the extreme power of GT218 on your add-in card. We will still be here wondering what the hell went wrong after G80.
edit: Thanks no-X for making the above paragraph as visually clear as posible

If you're wondering what the function of this thread is, do you ever fish?

(and neliz isn't written with a capital N either)

There's guesses, educated guesses and there's "Cor Blimey! He actually knows some things I don't!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I respectfully submit that this topic serves no purpose even with the cleaned up list of poll answers.

I find that in keeping with tradition for traditions sake can be cathartic in and off itself. Indeed with Beyond3D's rich history of product launches generally excessive fanboyism seems to be unavoidable, thus it seems most prudent to attempt to alleviate its detrimental effects by allowing the more blatant outbursts an outlet which will hopefully allow those that do not care to partake in the excessive histrionics of corporate partisanship a brief respite from said behaviors when perusing the threads that actually pertain to the false rumors/hopes of the actual product release.

My analysis could be wrong, I could be talking entirely out of my rear end when I attempt to justify such threads as I must admit I have a personal bias. I find the emotional reactions of many enthusiasts to be fascinating in the extreme, and the more extreme it seems the more fascinating. What could possibly motivate some of these people I wonder, and even if their feelings are so strong what possible justification is that for some of the vitriol and falsehoods that they'll most fervently put their hopes into somehow thinking that it will have the slightest affect on either corporate mentality or the finished product before it reaches market. I make no claims to either clairvoyance nor any other seer-like abilities, but it seems common sense is more than sufficient to make that conclusion.

If I am wrong I gladly welcome your correction. Please point out where in my position I failed to either make myself clear or my logic or facts are faulty in some way, I will gladly correct myself or restate my position more clearly.

this is what I may do : a HTPC/server rig with atom 330 or low power Athlon X2 (you don't have a server PC? :p ), maybe the 45W Athlon II X3/X4 to come, used for VPN/game server/whatever/ file, printer scanner sharing etc. + movie, music playback + PXE boot server.. and will serve a desktop for additional thin clients (junk pentium 2 with junk 15"/17" CRT + junk keyb/mouse)

(I'll live with 4 or 5 co-renters)

No consoles. they suck, and I will use a Sega Megadrive + 14" Atari monitor.
No portable shit for me, except a Dingoo A32011 I will get : a chinese handheld which like a mix between a GBA, a PSP and a GP32 for 65€ :);

No Server as such due to crap network over power (renting at the moment).
But yes, one of my PC's is HTPC with BlueRay, Athlon II 250, HD4670 512MB, 640GB HDD, 2GB of RAM all in Thermaltake Bach case milking 78W idle, 90W during HD movie and 110W gaming.
I'm really happy about that build!

Back OT!

I hoped nVidia will save rebranding this time.
I voted for GT300 previews, but it looks less and less probable.

no-x,
Frankly, I don't know, what your point is.
What's the connection between a GT216-called-Geforce-GT335 and a GT230?

no-x,

He made it quite obvious, the GT335M will be GT216 based, the desktop part will be G92 based.

The desktop part of what exactly? GT335? That he deduced by posting pictures of a card (supposedly a GT230) which carries a salvaged G92-part?

no-x,
According to leaked info, GT230 had to be based on GT216 GPU, DX10.1/40nm part. It seems, that nVidia changed mind and used old G92 instead. Seems, that GT216 new destiny is to confuse as much as possible. Calling this part "GT300 series" is simply juggling.

I have no idea if nVidia wants to make people feel, that GT300 is closer, or they want to create as much confusion as they can, but at all events this is part of the answer to "How will NVidia counter the release of HD5xxx?" question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back