How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by steveOrino, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Rangers

Legend

i expect the real ratio is anywhere from 10-20% DE. Just pulled that from my butt but it feels about right, based on how fast each was selling out of preorders and just common sense.

I dont see any reason to bash Sony for it, I'm a free market capitalist. Shortages only happen when something is artificially underpriced. The PS5 non DE is underpriced relative to demand too, but less so. So basically it's Sony's way of raising the ASP. For now, who know what happens later on. In six months or a year when costs lower and demand settles the DE could be a important part of their strategy. It's interesting to note, though.

I kind of wonder if it's true MS loses more on the XSS if MS might do the same with limiting XSS supply, albeit it feels like it would be to a lesser extent. They probably aren't that smart though :lol:

2. GuestLV

Regular

How I understood here in Eastern Europe ,triple A games will cost 80Eur. And I mean disc versions ,because poor Sony still have no time to make PSN Store available in all EU countries ,lags behind MS ,Apple ,Google etc.
    I'm wonder, how i could buy Pascals Wager on Android for about 4eur and have so much fun.

#1742 GuestLV, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    PSman1700 likes this.
  3. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

I find it funny that you posted the PC reviews for the games while all the Sony games are clearly console. Flight Sim is not releasing on console afaik. Gears Tactic isn't out yet for XBONE from what I see.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/gears-tactics

4. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

Yes it makes sense to minimize the loss

Also This may be a far out thought but its an idea, I dont know if it makes sense but bear with me

Perhaps, the early adopters are also the more hardcore gamers, that generally will want the best machine
    Does this sound plausible?

Now if this is the case why would a company produce more of the shittier machine?
    The demand at the start is for the better machine.

How many people here want the xbox one S over the xbox X?
    (crickets) one hand slowly goes up in the back "well ive only got $299"

egoless likes this.
  5. chris1515

Legend Regular

There was a big survey more than 138k people and 12.8% wanted to buy the PS5 DE much less than PS5 standard edition.

6. HBRU

Regular Newcomer

If the delta between sale price and today's BOM is big (and negative) is normal that product doesn't come so easily to customers... TMSC has different customers that wants the 7nm+ production... so it's not cheap.

7. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Spencer's comments on the One launch from the Fast Company design article were interesting.

This probably holds true this time around as well (for both Sony and MS).

https://www.fastcompany.com/9055121...soft-unveils-affordable-design-for-the-masses

Johnny Awesome and HBRU like this.
  8. liams

Regular Newcomer

Gears tactics is a xbox launch title and flight sim is coming to console at some point but we don't have a release date for it yet

9. Daozang

Veteran Regular

The good thing about all this, from a PC guys perspective, is that I don't need to buy a console at launch. :p
    The only thing that will determine if I need to spend money will be the 2080 performance in Cyberpunk!
    Sony could have had me, with a few PS5 exclusives that leverage the hardware.
    I'm sure they'll manage to convince me down the line.

10. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I said xbox platform. I played all those games through xbox . I played some on my phone , some on my surface , some on an xbox and some on my pc. All though xbox. Flight Sim is releasing on console in the future https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/microsoft-flight-simulator-console/. Gears tactics is nov 10th for console https://www.xboxachievements.com/ne...ing-to-Xbox-Series-X/S-as-a-Launch-Title.html

Oh I can add age of empires 3 to the list since its coming out in Nov also. playing the beta was so much fun. we keep moving foward

Sorry that was from the first post i quoted. THe generation is long and things change. At the start of the generation Ms had a lot of ip while sony released little and in the middle of the generation sony started to release a lot of content while ms slowed down. Now we are seeing a year in which ms has already released a ton of content.

There is so much available on the xbox platform and yet we get the same tired speil about the xbox being a forza , halo , gears box. Meanwhile the big thing from the playstation show the other day is god of war 6 . Thats 6 god of war titles. People don't complain because they enjoy games. Just like fans of those xbox games don't complain either.

#1750 eastmen, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    egoless, Johnny Awesome and HBRU like this.
  11. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

You and me...Same boat. This may be the first generation I don't jump into in the first year since SNES.

12. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I'm not bashing. I just amazed if its as low as 10%. It makes sense on sonys end you get to advertise the $400 price point while not loosing money or as much money on it. Its what MS is doing with the XSS. People will see the new xbox at $300 and head to the store and either buy it or see the higher end xsx and jump to that price point

13. goonergaz

Veteran

Does it matter? It’s a pre-order, you can cancel.

Why? Sony are saying they have a big game coming out, it’s coming out on their current and next gen consoles...surely you only need to specify if there’s a limitation in what the game will play on?

Conversely we have “no one gets left behind” leaving people behind.

DSoup likes this.
  14. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

I have my gripes with MS, but that's a different topic. I'm only addressing whether people were misled and thus entitled to those feelings. It's not about whether it's the right thing to do or not.

Sony could have said nothing really, presented things as is, and it would have been fine. Was there an advantage to doing it this way that I'm missing?

PSman1700 and BRiT like this.
  15. goonergaz

Veteran

No advantage because (as I said) we’re still 2 months out so plenty of time to change minds

16. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

When did MS say that about next gen consoles? I know they said it about the X1/S when the X1X came out, and it turned out to be completely true. But when did they say it regarding next gen?

17. AbsoluteBeginner

Regular Newcomer

I can see MS introducing DE verison of XSX in a years time, once supply chain and prices go down, and then drop XSS to $249 by the mid 2022 at latest. PS6 will come with its on "Polaris".

18. goonergaz

Veteran

19. Barrabas

Regular Newcomer

Pre order and pre payed a PS5 disc version today here in Norway for 5899 NOK (about 650$). Stock was ripped away shortly after. Both versions nowhere to be found now.

20. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

anyone know the power consumption on these consoles yet ?