How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Oh yes, it was “We won’t force you to upgrade to Xbox Series X at launch to play Xbox exclusives”.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/23/21335984/microsoft-xbox-series-x-exclusive-next-gen-promise

Wow, because that's not a clickbait title by the Verge. :oops:

Fortunately, they do actually include the quote from Phil Spencer (even though most people won't get past the title). He was specifically talking about games from Xbox Game Studios titles for the "next couple of years":

You won’t be forced into the next generation. We want every Xbox player to play all the new games from Xbox Game Studios. That’s why Xbox Game Studios titles we release in the next couple of years—like Halo Infinite—will be available and play great on Xbox Series X and Xbox One. We won’t force you to upgrade to Xbox Series X at launch to play Xbox exclusives.”

So which Xbox Game Studios games aren't coming to X1? I might have missed the news.

anyone know the power consumption on these consoles yet ?

I don't care about power consumption as such. What matters is properly matched cooling that is not too loud. 3080 shows that it's possible to have high power consumption while not making cooling solution loud.

Wow, because that's not a clickbait title by the Verge. :oops:

Fortunately, they do actually include the quote from Phil Spencer (even though most people won't get past the title). He was specifically talking about games from Xbox Game Studios titles for the "next couple of years":
There were loads of articles, I just picked one. But the message from MS has been about supporting last gen and not making people upgrade.
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/x...rather-than-exclusive-games-says-phil-spencer

So which Xbox Game Studios games aren't coming to X1? I might have missed the news.
Not sure how legit, my Xbox nemesis sent this to me lol

There were loads of articles, I just picked one. But the message from MS has been about supporting last gen and not making people upgrade.

That's not an answer.

Which of those games are developed by Xbox Games Studios, coming out in the two years following this summer, and not also in development for Xbox 1?

[Edit: Sorry, that sounded a bit rude. I'm more perplexed than anything :) ]

That's not an answer.

Which of those games are developed by Xbox Games Studios, coming out in the two years following this summer, and not also in development for Xbox 1?

[Edit: Sorry, that sounded a bit rude. I'm more perplexed than anything :) ]

You're perplexed!? I have no idea what your question is lol

"Which of those games are developed by Xbox Games Studios"
Well, I'm not 100% sure, but aren't a good chunk 1st party? Fable, Forza, Hellblade, State of Decay...

"Coming out in the two years following this summer"
Erm...what?

"and not also in development for Xbox 1?"
My understanding is none of the games in the list are developed for X1?

Edit - I reiterate that I'm not 100% sure how legit that list is...

There was a big survey more than 138k people and 12.8% wanted to buy the PS5 DE much less than PS5 standard edition.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...-fewer-digital-edition-systems-for-pre-order/

12.8% Looks like Sony made Too many DE versions available judging by the following quote
Ars was able to confirm the initial PS5 preorder allocations for nine separate GameStop locations. All told, roughly 24 percent of the stock available at these locations was taken up by the Digital Edition, with the remaining 76 percent for the Standard Edition.
They also bring up a point I didnt think of
"In GameStop's case, though, there may be extra incentive not to sell a console that can't play discs. GameStop still makes most of its money on physical game sales, after all, including the high-margin business of buying and reselling used discs. When a GameStop customer buys the PS5 Digital Edition, that could very well be the last time that customer ever buys a game from GameStop."
Yes I can see that having digital only version of a console is not attractive to some physical stores

You're perplexed!? I have no idea what your question is lol

"Which of those games are developed by Xbox Games Studios"
Well, I'm not 100% sure, but aren't a good chunk 1st party? Fable, Forza, Hellblade, State of Decay...

"Coming out in the two years following this summer"
Erm...what?

That was the maximum possible time window that MS gave for cross gen XGS games. You know, the claim you said was a lie and that they have reneged on. Maybe they will renege, I don't know, but which game has actually done this at this point?

"and not also in development for Xbox 1?"
My understanding is none of the games in the list are developed for X1?

But most of them aren't XGS, and the ones that are don't have release dates. Unless you've found one, in which case please share it.

XGS, and coming out in the next two years. Shoot.

Edit - I reiterate that I'm not 100% sure how legit that list is...

The list is probably okay, but you're not comparing it to what MS actually said, you're comparing it to what morons and click baiters "said they said". That's why I keep asking for a game, or hoping for a direct quote from MS, because all the links so far are editorialised sensationalism based on wilful misrepresentation, or about another subject entirely.

Basically, and to repeat myself (again): MS said that their Xbox Game Studios games for the next couple of years (as of summer 2000) would come to X1 also. That's all they said. That's all they ever said (initially they said XGS games for 1 ~ 2 years last December, now it's "a couple of years" as of earlier this summer so lets go with that as the most extreme case). So XGS only, and for a couple of years at most.

They explicitly stated that third parties, whoever they were, and whoever published them, could do whatever the hell they wanted.

So which game - and please name it specifically - has been revealed to go against this (once again: XGS, and released in the next two years)?

??
Forza, Fable, Hellblade 2, Avowed, Everwild, SOD3

And these are launching before 2022, or mid 2022 at very very latest?? Could I ask where you got the release dates from?

They may end up releasing before 2022, but where have you got that info from at this point?

Dude, that's another awful 'article' from someone who should focus on understanding words before writing shit-tier sensationalist editorial. Please provide me the XGS game and the release date instead of links to articles that damage my few remaining brain cells! Details rather than unsupported notions would be welcome.

And the guy that wrote the article you just linked to is definitely either a moron or (optimistically) a crap stirrer. And that's his doing and no-one else's.

"Microsoft has decided that developers can make games just for the Xbox Series X, including those from first-party studios."

MS explicitly stated long before this that third parties could do whatever the hell they wanted. Additionally, MS never said first party couldn't make next gen only games, they only said they wouldn't be releasing any in the next couple of years (at most).

This is becoming tiresome. Being able to hold two pieces of conditional information in one's mind at the same time is a real life skill. It's worth developing. Xbox Game Studios and for the next couple of years.

I don't know if they'll go back on this the future but so far they haven't afaik. But you claim otherwise, so I'll ask one last time: which game?????

Wow, never heard of developer-tech.com (hopefully its not an tech onion site)
They announced Xbox one series S a week ago and now it looks like they are starting to abandon support for it already

That's before Xbox Series S was disclosed. So don't take that statement to mean games can exist on Series X but not Series S. The date on that article is July 24, 2020.

Wow, never heard of developer-tech.com (hopefully its not an tech onion site)
They announced Xbox one series S a week ago and now it looks like they are starting to abandon support for it already
Shortest lived console ever.
Though it prolly is the wisest choice, unless they upgrade its memory to also 16GB

I don't think XSS needs 16GB, but 10 GB is ... well ... a bit of a squeeze.

Textures fair enough, you can make XSX / PS5 lod 1 your new XSS lod 0. But with models and environments I think you're probably going to need to put more effort into making lod 1 look good enough to act as lod 0 for XSS (if that makes sense?). My experiments with Blender have shown me how easily I can destroy my already bad work with lower levels of detail.

But maybe something like nanite can help if it allows memory consumption to scale naturally with resolution? *shrug*

XSS is a big mistery. Can be a success or a big fail... Well it has 8 gigabyte of full performing RAM (like old gen consoles) and the CPU of the new gen consoles (even slightly better of the one on ps5). A sort of hybrid [emoji1]... it's gonna be priced really low.... or even given "for free" or almost bounded to gamepass.... I don't really know. First times of gen are bright for the enthusiastic console owners that want to spend both in games and hw... but then ??? Then XSS can find it's place.... Will it hold XSX back ? Well also XSX has 10 giga of full performing RAM and the rest less....

That's before Xbox Series S was disclosed. So don't take that statement to mean games can exist on Series X but not Series S. The date on that article is July 24, 2020.
OK thanks I didnt see the date, I assumed it was a new article. Yes you're prolly correct,

Well it has 8 gigabyte of full performing RAM (like old gen consoles)

That 8GB is all available to games, unlike current gen.* That's a bit of a boost, before you get into the radically improved streaming situation.

Whether it's enough so allow scaling from PS5/XSX is the great debate happening in other hot, hot threads.

*The OneX has more, but that's to scale current gen engines to 4k. It's a brute force solution.

That was the maximum possible time window that MS gave for cross gen XGS games. You know, the claim you said was a lie and that they have reneged on. Maybe they will renege, I don't know, but which game has actually done this at this point?

But most of them aren't XGS, and the ones that are don't have release dates. Unless you've found one, in which case please share it.

XGS, and coming out in the next two years. Shoot.

The list is probably okay, but you're not comparing it to what MS actually said, you're comparing it to what morons and click baiters "said they said". That's why I keep asking for a game, or hoping for a direct quote from MS, because all the links so far are editorialised sensationalism based on wilful misrepresentation, or about another subject entirely.

Basically, and to repeat myself (again): MS said that their Xbox Game Studios games for the next couple of years (as of summer 2000) would come to X1 also. That's all they said. That's all they ever said (initially they said XGS games for 1 ~ 2 years last December, now it's "a couple of years" as of earlier this summer so lets go with that as the most extreme case). So XGS only, and for a couple of years at most.

They explicitly stated that third parties, whoever they were, and whoever published them, could do whatever the hell they wanted.

So which game - and please name it specifically - has been revealed to go against this (once again: XGS, and released in the next two years)?

And these are launching before 2022, or mid 2022 at very very latest?? Could I ask where you got the release dates from?

They may end up releasing before 2022, but where have you got that info from at this point?

Dude, that's another awful 'article' from someone who should focus on understanding words before writing shit-tier sensationalist editorial. Please provide me the XGS game and the release date instead of links to articles that damage my few remaining brain cells! Details rather than unsupported notions would be welcome.

And the guy that wrote the article you just linked to is definitely either a moron or (optimistically) a crap stirrer. And that's his doing and no-one else's.

"Microsoft has decided that developers can make games just for the Xbox Series X, including those from first-party studios."

MS explicitly stated long before this that third parties could do whatever the hell they wanted. Additionally, MS never said first party couldn't make next gen only games, they only said they wouldn't be releasing any in the next couple of years (at most).

This is becoming tiresome. Being able to hold two pieces of conditional information in one's mind at the same time is a real life skill. It's worth developing. Xbox Game Studios and for the next couple of years.

I don't know if they'll go back on this the future but so far they haven't afaik. But you claim otherwise, so I'll ask one last time: which game?????
I’d be extremely surprised if Forza isn’t out in the window, but I guess we’ll have to see on that an all the other listed games that you might have previously expected to be able to play on XBO but now it’s clear you can’t.

I’d be extremely surprised if Forza isn’t out in the window, but I guess we’ll have to see on that an all the other listed games that you might have previously expected to be able to play on XBO but now it’s clear you can’t.

MS should be offering the best S|X BC possible for all their titles. It's not like any of MS's studios are actually delivering anything for launch. :D

I have no idea where to ask this one so mods feel free to mover or del

When pre ordering the Series X I am unsure if I want to go All Access or straight up purchase.

If I pre order via game as All Access, can I convert to just buying the hardware outright. If not I may place an Amazon order as backup, but when can I cancel the All Access, is that times from order or from recipient of hardware?

I've emailed game but do not expect a response before pre order opens tomorrow.

I have no idea where to ask this one so mods feel free to mover or del

When pre ordering the Series X I am unsure if I want to go All Access or straight up purchase.

If I pre order via game as All Access, can I convert to just buying the hardware outright. If not I may place an Amazon order as backup, but when can I cancel the All Access, is that times from order or from recipient of hardware?

I've emailed game but do not expect a response before pre order opens tomorrow.
you probably want to call game and go through all the details with them before tomorrow.

Back