How to bind uTorrent to wireless adapter

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
Hi there............

I'm at work and my laptop is hooked to the the network using a standard network cable.

Is it possible to enable the wireless adapter and bind uTorrent to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there............

I'm at work and my laptop is hooked to the the network using a standard network cable.

Is it possible to enable the wireless adapter, connect to any private and open wireless network around (there are many) and bind uTorrent to it?

There's been a spate of arrests both here and in the states of people wardriving onto other people's open wi-fi. You'll be seen as a hacker and bandwidth thief.

People might be stupid for not securing their wireless, but you've got no more right to grab it than you have to go into their homes if they've left their doors open.

Since you're admitting to entertaining the notion of committing immoral and/or illegal actions I doubt you're going to get an answer out of anyone here. :cool:

In any case I've had poor luck myself with multiple internet connections on one single PC. Windows only seems to want to use one and becomes confused or disables one when I enable another. And I know of no way whatsoever of steering an application to any one particular connection.

My highly amateurish position is it can't be done. Or at least not without heavy tinkering and/or a server edition of windows..

So in conclusion don't be an ass/selfish prick. Use your own connection tfor file sharing alright?

Peace.

In any case I've had poor luck myself with multiple internet connections on one single PC. Windows only seems to want to use one and becomes confused or disables one when I enable another. And I know of no way whatsoever of steering an application to any one particular connection.

My highly amateurish position is it can't be done. Or at least not without heavy tinkering and/or a server edition of windows..

that's what I thought too. Maybe Linucs is more flexible.

was it so difficult to answer? :)

peace

Last edited by a moderator:
that's what I thought too. Maybe Linucs is more flexible.

was it so difficult to answer? :)

peace

I'll tackle the technical part:

You don't want two internet connections on one PC unless you really, really ,really know what you are doing. I can and have done it on Linux (load balancing between two connections) but you'll have to get really friendly with the advanced routing tools. 99.9999% of the time it's not what you want to do.

I'll tackle the technical part:

You don't want two internet connections on one PC unless you really, really ,really know what you are doing. I can and have done it on Linux (load balancing between two connections) but you'll have to get really friendly with the advanced routing tools. 99.9999% of the time it's not what you want to do.
Agreed. It's hard enough to keep Windows from using your WiFi as the primary one on occasion in the first place. And it's much easier to simply dedicate multiple connections than to get load balancing working reliably, but even that is hard on Windows.

Windows always knows best, especially when you just spend an hour setting it up just right.

Agreed. It's hard enough to keep Windows from using your WiFi as the primary one on occasion in the first place. And it's much easier to simply dedicate multiple connections than to get load balancing working reliably, but even that is hard on Windows.

Windows always knows best, especially when you just spend an hour setting it up just right.

Yeah, there's nothing better than a windows box finding a encrypted WiFi access point and deciding thats a "better" connection than the cellular link you have. Deal with that one all the time at work.

To answer the original question, you can force utorrent to bind to a specific ip using the net.bind_ip and net.outgoing_ip parameters under the Advanced section. I messed around with those settings when I had multiple network cards in my server, and it seemed like it worked just fine.

As per above, for binding to NIC. A firewall is your best bet for load balancing/QOS from multiple WANs. I particularly like BSD and pfSense is very good...

Back