How much PSU?

Well, the Seasonic experience suggests otherwise, doesn't it? That's been my understanding --that often its just a faster fan to remove more heat with the same guts. Heat hurts efficiency.

Responding to highlighted portion..

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Oddly enough under a certain wattage draw, the Seasonic S12 LOSES efficiency which is why it's not considered to be a 80 plus model (they make a model for this particular lower draw situation). I got this nugget from some review..maybe linked earlier in the thread. Efficiency for PSUs might have some other factor than just heat. /shrug.

Yes, this is true (PC Power & Coolings are 83%, some Seasonics at 85%) but not sure how it speaks to what I was referring to in the case of a 1KW PSU vs. a 550W PSU.

If the load asked of them is the same, then the former PSU does NOT automatically mean heat is generated. It simply depends on the load required AFAIK.

Do you have the PowerPc Silencer 750?
Yes, and the 600 now in another comp. My pair of 1950xt is the same as the PSU in the sound department. that would be default idle on the cards. It is quiet for a big psu. no real voltage drop on the rails, awesome PSUs PC&PC. The m12 seasonics are the same topnotch PSUs.

FSP (Fortron/Sparkle) makes quality PSUs, AFAIK. Can't go wrong with them.

Here's the PSU i brought to replace my 250w PSU, it cost me £39.99 and im extremely happy with it :D

dsc00022ao2.jpg

I'll give a nod to and add OCZ's GameXtreme 700W psu to that list as well (virtually silent, uses a single 130mm fan). Think its about the same price as the Aerocool but has more robust independent 12V rails that the multiple cards and HDDs might appreciate more.

+3.3V: 36A
+5V: 30A
+12V1: 18A
+12V2: 18A
+12V3: 18A
+12V4: 18A

vs

+3.3V: 32A
+5V: 36A
+12V1: 20A
+12V2: 18A

I should add however that Xbit didnt like the OCZ at all for some reason. Most reviews (from purchasers as well) i've read have said it was a very good PSU. Xbit just finished a pretty extensive PSU roundup so maybe you'll find some useful info in it.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/
Then again, when are you ever going to need 4 12v rails? Are you planning on running quad top of the hill GPUs? Otherwise, it's just wasted.

Then again, when are you ever going to need 4 12v rails? Are you planning on running quad top of the hill GPUs? Otherwise, it's just wasted.

Can a single rail feed the 2 PCI-Express connectors on 1 8800GTX? If not, then to go 8800GTX you'd need at the four rails.

Can a single rail feed the 2 PCI-Express connectors on 1 8800GTX? If not, then to go 8800GTX you'd need at the four rails.

Many times these multi-rail 12V lines come from a single trunk so it could just be some marketing-speak going on.

Thanks guys, I'm going to go with this one http://www.home2000.net/client/fspgroupusacom/proddetail.asp?linenumber=221
I think it's actually the original version of the OCZ mentioned above.

I'm finding that I don't want all of the seperate power rails. The PSU you describe has >4< at 18a each. Just from what I see out there now, I would want a minimum of 22a per rail for multi-rail, thus I'm choosing a single-rail solution.

I'm inclined for this PSU:

http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S61EPS

It has a single clean rail at 49a on 12v! This will accomodate any video card.

Thanks,
Steve

Back