How can we save Core Gaming?

Best way to keep core gaming alive is to keep buying games. Sony/MS/Nintendo/Steam etc. will invest money where they expect a healthy ROI.

How are you measuring the board games industry to claim it's larger than the video game industry?
I'll have to find the source back, I think another way is to compare the amount of money spent on kickstarting video games vs board games and the latter is bigger AFAIR.
A lot more people buy board games (that includes titles such as Monopoly, mille bornes in France, ...) than video games. (And board games fans have as many board games as video gamers ^^ (before indy explosion likely), except they take a lot more room)

Very debatable. In terms of hours spent played, I'm certain VG would win. In terms of people playing, I'm sure VG wins (factoring in mobile). In terms of revenue per year I'm certain VG wins. Something like $1 billion spent on hobby games last year in US versus $10 billion spent on VG last year going by some quick Googlage.

Even anecdotally it's a landslide victory for video games. Families get a new board game once or twice a year, typically for Christmas, and pull out the board games only on rare occasions. But all of them play video games if you include mobile, with little Jonny spending a few hundreds a year on COD, FIFA/Madden, etc.

One random graph
https://www.statista.com/statistics/323943/average-time-spent-gaming-weekly-uk/

What would a graph of board games look like? Y axis would need to be in double precision float to record numbers that small. :p

Can definitely believe Kickstarted board games is way bigger than Kickstarted video games because you basically need Kickstarter for board games, whereas there's many revenue options for video games including self financed for tiny indies. There's no way I could create a board game solo, for example.

I am reviving this thread because I think a greater threat exists. We have our Xbox/PS/PC kingdoms fight little feudal wars about which platform is best, but our entire continent of core gaming itself is getting in some rocky waters. Konami semi-exiting, many great titles this year underperforming, the eastern developers doing poorly, Crytek struggling, Bioshock 3 barely being profitable, console sales starting to decline, etc. Entire swaths of our glorious gaming continent are being conquered by the smartphone mongol hordes. 10s of Millions upon 10s of millions of casual gamers left console games for smartphones.

Instead of arguing which console is better with your friends/ nerd coworkers/ and message boards, we need to advertise the awesomeness of core videogames. Discuss and even argue with nongamers everywhere just how awesome it is. At the bar, in the club, at the gym, at church, during a wedding, etc. We are the champions that will retake our sovereign lands and free the casual citizens that the evil Samsung and Apple empires took from us. We will do it for Gaben, for Miyamoto, for Spencer, for Kutaragi, for Don Mattrick, for Team Red, for Team Green, and for YOU!

ARE YOU WITH ME!!!!!
I don't think core gaming is dying, it might need maturing though. Through the giant and deep pockets of many of the actors involved, foremost
in the console market, the market has been quite significantly distorted. The risk/ROI is off for the actors involved. On the other hand costumers expectations are out of control wrt the prices they are willing (and can) to pay.
Simply put the market as to adapt to reality which on many topics our contemparies seem to have an issue with.

An issue of funding comes from competition and simply how many games there are. Too many games. Too much everything these days with global competition only low barriers to entry. Recently read a report about the number of films exploding and it becoming financially unsustainable. People aren't going to read every book, watch every film, play every game. There's a limit to people's time and money. All these industries need to balance towards what people can sustain, which likely isn't going to happen until we have lots of failures and people giving up. Which in itself is unlikely given millions of young folk entering the market every year wanting to make games for a living.

True, but I've found myself buying cheap, relatively short indie games more than I buy £40-£50 life-consuming blockbusters. And I don't anticipate my habits changing.

Maybe that's a wider buying pattern to which the industry needs to adapt?

Not every game needs to have photorealistic graphics, voice actors, online multiplayer, or last the lifespan of the average field mouse. Give me a charming game, with soul, that I can buy for a tenner and clock within a weekend.

That's enough to tell a story or have an experience, and I don't have to throw away swathes of my life grinding. I already do that at work.

True, but I've found myself buying cheap, relatively short indie games more than I buy £40-£50 life-consuming blockbusters. And I don't anticipate my habits changing.
Precisely. So every man and his dog is wanting to be an Indie Dev, leading to countless numbers of games, competing on price, driving prices down. Consumers then come to expect more for their money. I think we're seeing over-competition in every creative market.

I'll just say one amusing thing here, the video game industry is much smaller than the board game industry.

The size of the board game industry isn't larger than the Video game industry. However, it's growing at a much faster rate. Both unit growth and revenue growth.

For example, CAGR (compound annual growth rate) for board games is in the ~30% range, while for the video games market it's in the ~13% range.

I think some confusion may be caused by the fact that board games generate far more Kickstarter revenue/investment than do Kickstarters for video games. However, games publishers dwarf board game publishers. IE - Hasbro while large has multiple non-gaming related divisions.

One benefit that board game creators have over video game creators, however, is that it's far less costly to develop a board game while at the same time the price of board games is allowed to keep up with inflation, unlike video games. While video games are now significantly cheaper than they were 10-20 years ago due to mostly stagnant game pricing, the same cannot be said for board games.

Regards,
SB

One benefit that board game creators have over video game creators, however, is that it's far less costly to develop a board game while at the same time the price of board games is allowed to keep up with inflation, unlike video games. While video games are now significantly cheaper than they were 10-20 years ago due to mostly stagnant game pricing, the same cannot be said for board games.
I think games generate more money through their lifetime than before thanks to DLC. Compared to PS2 era and before, there's definitely more than $60 got from a game. It also mitigates some of the resale value when a second-hand game then convinces a player to buy a couple of $5 DLC packs.

I'm with Silent_Buddha: casual gaming is just growing faster than core gaming.

I don't have the figures to hand, and can't be arsed looking them up, but the games industry has gone from strength to strength, core games included. It's a multi billion dollar industry, and became huge before churned out smartphone games besmirched the medium with their JoeCartoon level of quality and depth.

Plenty of people just want a quick fix, a ball attached to a paddle. Many of us here (probably all of us... how many casual gamers visit forums?) have grown up with the medium and seen it grow into an art form that is gradually being accepted as such. Therefore, it makes sense to feel that it's under threat of regression or elimination when shit like Pokémon Go overshadows genuine artistic achievements. But it isn't.

Maybe smartphone games have matured in recent years, maybe they haven't yet, maybe they never will. They will always reach people more easily due to the ubiquity of the platforms. But that doesn't inherently make them worthwhile, and it doesn't generate loyal customers that truly love the medium.

Much in the same way that a cheap, formulaic horror film may generate enough revenue to justify shitting out another, it doesn't make it a work of cinematic art, and it won't keep people talking and thinking about it for years to come. It will fade into the ether like so much dross.

Meanwhile, quality content is still created and can be highly profitable when it stands out enough. This chance of high profits ensures that bean counting gamblers will continue to take risks and keep funding such content. And when a great horror film, or great core game, has been created, it stands a chance of converting a casual follower into a true fan. In which case, increasing the number of casual gamers - as the number of non-gamers dwindles - is only a good thing.
That's actually good. The casual of today are the core -some of them the quad cores- of the future.

As per the OP title..Maybe an English native knows this, but...core and hardcore are the same term? I see those as two different terms.

i mean, core is more like someone who is interested in games, and hardcore pays to win, plays to win.

E-sports players are athletes

Last edited:
It's the dark hole of B3D, located just beneath the veneer of respectability that is the General Discussion forum

To get into the sub forum you need to click to agree to Holodeck safety protocols being off.

Precisely. So every man and his dog is wanting to be an Indie Dev, leading to countless numbers of games, competing on price, driving prices down. Consumers then come to expect more for their money. I think we're seeing over-competition in every creative market.

Agreed, but an awful lot of games (e.g. Broforce) are no better than proof of concept demos. At a certain point, there will be so many of those games that they can't compete on price and, instead, will have to compete on other grounds.

Given that the last generation essentially did away with mid budget titles, I'm hopeful that this abundance of indie developers is their re-emergence.

Uncharted 4 sold gangbusters at £40-£70 (depending on the version,) and the likes of Supergiant Games are flying the flag for well crafted £20 games. If we have those two tiers as well as some £5 shovelware, I'm personally very pleased with the direction of the industry.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the way to improve the health of the industry, along with most others, is to increase the wealth and expendable income of the majority of people.

Productivity has massively improved over recent decades, but wages have largely plateaued for all but the ultra rich, who have seen their wealth explode by an order of magnitude. Consequently, I'm sure the luxury yacht industry is doing rather well, but retail and entertainment are both fighting a troublesome war. It's just a pity that they don't make improved wage parity one of their battles.

Back