Househunting, part deux

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
My wife was up all night looking at houses again, and she told me of her master plan finally....

She wants to buy a new house. Bigger, nicer, with a huge backyard for all the dogs.

PROBLEM: I hate moving, and the thought of moving out of this house flat-out scares me.

SOLUTION: She wants to buy a new house, but not sell this one.

She wants to fix this one up a bit and rent it out, either that or fix it up and sell it...but she knows we ain't gonna be able to do that until we get out of here.

I just had no clue we were in a position to do that, but I kind of like the idea. I could handle moving over the course of a month or something, just taking what we want with and leaving the rest as a "furnished home" to rent.

Thoughts?

digitalwanderer said:
Thoughts?

My sister and parents do this, and if you want the hassle of effectively running and looking after extra houses, it can make you a decent living. Ideally you want to sign a long-term contract (couple of years) with some big company (or their agency) that will want to use it to house execs and managers on medium/long term visits to the area, as that's the least hassle and guarentees income whether the place is occupied or not. To do that you need to spend some money to make sure they whole place is in top flight condition.

Short term lets (especially if you want to rent rooms to multiple people ie flat shares) are usually a lot more hassle, as everytime something needs doing or goes wrong, you'll be the one getting the phone call to fix it. You will be the direct landlord. You also have to be a lot more strict with getting the rent paid, as there are a lot of people out there that will try to con you given the chance. If people want to misbehave, you can quite easily find you rented house on a credit blacklist.

If you've got a mortgage, bear in mind there are ususally clauses about this (mortgage companies want their cut of any business they are paying for) and there may be issues about sub-letting you want to look into.

There's probably lots of websites out there you can Google for that may give you more information on the regulations for your part of the world.

digitalwanderer said:
...PROBLEM: I hate moving, and the thought of moving out of this house flat-out scares me.

SOLUTION: She wants to buy a new house, but not sell this one.

Thoughts?

Are you saying you will rent the old house while she moves into the new one? :p

Nike encourages you to "Just Do It!"

No, no...the whole family moves into the new house and we fix up the old house whilst empty.

I'm not sure about the rules/laws/contract with regards to renting, but that's one of the things we'd check out....I think I'm leaning more towards her plan but then selling our old house.

You guys must be better off financially then you were thinking you were, because the loan standards for doing what you are talking about are higher. The bank is going to assume you have two mortgage payments to make for calculating whether you can afford this.

digitalwanderer said:
I think we're a LOT better off than I'm thinking we were, but I still can't buy PC stuff. :(

"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission". ;)

Besides, you've been married how long? This is all the better your negotiating skills are? She wants to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a house you don't really want? You deserve a $3k allocation for a new top-end PC with all the goodies. I mean, really!

Last edited by a moderator:
hey dig!

funny enough, i just moved today! I'm in total pain, moving house in London is hard work. But the flat is freaking amazing, you'll all be seeing pictures soon enough! ;)

Renting will really depend on your location and market. Tenents can vary from being really good, to a royal pain in the ass. Just make sure you know what you are getting into.

btw it's what I do for a living. Buy/fixup/rent.

digitalwanderer said:
I already have a pretty-much top-end PC, I just want a new monitor now. ;)

Think bigger, my friend. This is may be a once in a lifetime opportunity to trade her a 6 figure thing you don't want for a 4 figure thing she doesn't want. How can she say no? The deal is you both then have to smile and be cooperative about the others project (tho you can come here and kvetch all you want). And if you forget and kvetch around her, she gets to say "How is the picking out the new pc parts going, dear?" to bring you back around.

In addition to the tippy-top high-res monitor, you should be looking at a new sli or crossfire mobo and the dual-goodness to go in them. Not a big fan of sli/crossfire? So, you never had a super high-res monitor to drive before either; you can play with the tech and come to a first-hand conclusion. . .and worse case the following gen you now have two mid-range (by then) cards to sell to buy your next single high-end card.

Really, you're doing her favor buying your cooperation for something that big for this cheap! It's a steal! And there's no way in God's green earth that y'all can afford and qualify for two mortgages yet $3-4k for new PC goodies is some kind of threat to the family finances. No way. And the kicker is she gets her thing first; you get yours once the new house is closed and you're moved in (so for one thing it doesn't show up on the credit card balances or reduced bank accounts). This also gives you time to plot/scheme/dream over what you're going to buy, and helps distract you from the icky house stuff in the meantime.

;)

Nah, I'll be too busy moving to play with it. If anything I'll try and get a laptop out of it for us... ;)

I like this one:

Loads of updates in this meticulously maintained Bi-Level on quiet dead-end street. Interior has been freshly painted. New laminate floor(2005) in living and dining room areas. Full bath updated with new vanity, tub and stool; new 3/4 bath in lower level offers corner shower and pedestal sink. Hardwood flooring and ceiling fans in all bedrooms. Lower level features 2 entertaining areas, office and utility room. Rec rm. has new berber carpeting (2005). Family rm.with corner masonry fireplace. Outside you'll enjoy a private sanctuary from your 17x12 covered porch/deck w/ceiling fan & electric to the lower deck and above ground pool(2001) and privacy fenced yard(2003). Wide open spaces to the north and west of the property offer beautiful views. Large heated 2.5 car garage with additional 8x12 storage shed. Roof 1997. New vinyl windows and siding(2002). Sump pump and gel battery back-up(2001). New furnace, air and HWH(2004). Nothing to do but move in! Pre-approved buyers only, please.

Ah-HA! Found the one I fell in love with yesterday, 2122 Teakwood Cir:

The Carrington model with optional Florida room and second floor bedroom. Additional upgrades include: trayed ceiling, upgraded carpeting, maple cabinetry, 3 sided fireplace, hardwood flooring and a lot premium for a cul-de-sac location offering spectacular open views to the east, south, and west. You'll appreciate the open view when you see it. Step inside to discover a host of decorating highlights that flow nicely from room to room. Double French doors lead to an enormous bedroom. Wall sconces provide nice accent lighting in the hall to the front bath. A Cathedral ceiling and 3 sided fireplace are nice touches to the Living/Dining room area that's painted in a deep earthy tone that feels cozy. Enjoy the custom stenciling in the Kitchen/Breakfast area and step into the sunroom where a panoramic vista awaits your inspection. Patio area is accessible off the Sunroom and Living Room. Upstairs bedroom would make a nice office. Master bedroom has a great bath and good size walk in closet.

plant a forest or something..

so how many square meters is that?

200euro /m2 over here... :D

hey69 said:
plant a forest or something..

so how many square meters is that?

200euro /m2 over here... :D

You sure you aren't missing a decimal place? Thats pretty damned cheap.

digitalwanderer said:
I already have a pretty-much top-end PC, I just want a new monitor now.

Nothing $900 and Dell wont handle... Unless you want -2- new monitors. :D

Back