HORI recharging station for SIXAXIS

Pretty nice bit of kit for the PS3 from HORI. And only about $12 too. I'll probably pick one up. I don't like wires just dangling around.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070528/hori.htm

hori01.gif

hori02.gif

thats nice! currently we can only charge sixaxis with PS3 turned on... it should charge the sixaxis when its in standby (its when i dont need the controller in my hand)

that station is a nice thing to have

It's bowered by USB? Then, what's the point :???:
How could it charge the controller differently than if it were connected by a plain usb cable. I don't think it'll charge when PS3 is in standby.
Unless the charge station is connected to some other device where USB ports are powered even in standby...

Well, it's got nice lights anyway.... which the supplied USB cord sadly is lacking

I bought two of those to go along side my 4gamers ps3 stand with blue led lights that surround the base, they really compliment each other get them in gamestop for 10 pound a touch.

The point is you can charge the controller with those USB wall socket adapters so the PS3 doesn't need to be on.
That still questions the point of the HORI recharger. Why spend $12 on a fancy USB cable with controller-holder, instead of spend that money on an AC>>USB adaptor that actually serves a function? The HORI thing is purely a style thing. The actual recharging is still dependent either on active hardware or a USB power source.

That still questions the point of the HORI recharger. Why spend $12 on a fancy USB cable with controller-holder, instead of spend that money on an AC>>USB adaptor that actually serves a function? The HORI thing is purely a style thing. The actual recharging is still dependent either on active hardware or a USB power source.

Some people (like me) like to have a charging cradle instead of fiddling around with cables. I have a desktop charger cradle for my cellphone, it's more convenient, it has NOTHING to do with style and everything to do with convenience. If you don't see the point then don't buy it, but don't knock it because you THINK there is no point to it. Ever wonder why wireless home phones use charging cradles instead of a cable? I don't think it's because it looks teh coolz and sh*t.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't see the point then don't buy it, but don't knock it.
I wasn't knocking it. What you call convenience I called style - it's nicer to have a cradle than a bare USB wire. Personally I wouldn't call that convenience as there's very little difference in use, but hey, if 2 more seconds plugging in an USB cable is an inconvenience for you, that's fine. My point was, the HORI thing doesn't provide the recharge itself, which you said was the point of it. To make it worthwhile as a standalone charger like the USB adaptor, you need a USB adaptor. It can't do that on it's own. In which case it's a USB cable, with a nice cradle attached. For those that want that, it's cool. For those that don't mind a controller sat on the side with a USB cable plugged in, the HORI provides no functionality beyond a USB cable.

I wasn't knocking it. What you call convenience I called style - it's nicer to have a cradle than a bare USB wire. Personally I wouldn't call that convenience as there's very little difference in use, but hey, if 2 more seconds plugging in an USB cable is an inconvenience for you, that's fine.

It's nicer because it's more convenient same as my home phone recharging base. The appearance is a completely separate matter.

My point was, the HORI thing doesn't provide the recharge itself, which you said was the point of it.

Actually that wasn't what I said or my point. My point was that being based on USB allows you the added option to use those USB AC adapters which in turn allows the added convenience of placement of the charger across the room. It would be pretty redundant to try and turn on/off the console remotely while standing right in front of the console.;)

By basing it on USB, you can use it the standard way by plugging it into the console or you can use a separate USB AC adapter. If it came with a standard AC adapter and no USB interface, then you would lose the option of plugging it into the console.

By basing it on USB, you can use it the standard way by plugging it into the console or you can use a separate USB AC adapter. If it came with a standard AC adapter and no USB interface, then you would lose the option of plugging it into the console.

Yes, the charging by USB thing is just super, and I now consider it a huge selling point if a device supports this standard (for choosing my bluetooth headset for phone and PS3, this was actually the number one factor). I also already have a number of USB AC Adapters from other devices that I bought, and a car USB AC adapter as well. It's just great.

Another option from Nyko, one I've been following for a while. Holds four controllers and is not USB powered. Although, looking at their site, it may be possible to charge through USB as well. At least, I think that's what they're referring to:
Utilizing Nyko’s patent pending technology, all 4 controllers will be charged simultaneously through the Mini USB ports, leaving 3 of the console’s USB ports free while eliminating the need for cumbersome wires.
This is something that's closer to what I'm looking for, as it could help me organize multiple controllers without having to buy separate charging stations. Should be available soon for about $40. Not sure about build-quality, though. I'm more apt to trust Hori before Nyko in that regard.

ChargeBasePS3.jpg

It supports how many controllers? I only though it supported 4

It supports 7, the current limitation of Bluetooth (7 + 1 Hub, the PS3). Assuming no other BT devices are connected. If you have a BT headset active (as in on and connected to the PS3), it will be limited to 6.

Another option from Nyko, one I've been following for a while. Holds four controllers and is not USB powered. Although, looking at their site, it may be possible to charge through USB as well. At least, I think that's what they're referring to:

This is something that's closer to what I'm looking for, as it could help me organize multiple controllers without having to buy separate charging stations. Should be available soon for about $40. Not sure about build-quality, though. I'm more apt to trust Hori before Nyko in that regard.

Thanks Grad, preordered it on Amazon for $30.

I just ordered the Hori charger from play-asia for ~$18 shipped. I'll let you know if it's any good.

Back