Home Theater - Frequence Response

None of those is real. Human ears can hear anywhere between 20Hz and 20KHz (or rather 15-16KHz for anyone out of the teens). But the one with up to 41 KHz should give you crisper highs, while I doubt you'll be able to hear anything below 35Hz anyway.

Hear?..No......But FEEL?.....Yes.. ;)

Hear?..No......But FEEL?.....Yes.. ;)

Really depends on how good the sub is. If it's super crappy you won't hear or feel much below 35Hz.

While we can only really hear frequencies above 20Hz, all but the very best subs will produce some audible output when reproducing a 20Hz sine wave, just because of distortion.

All told that would run in the $500-$600 range. Don't be fooled by the cheap prices on the speakers, every review of them is excellent. They aren't the best speakers ever, but you get much more than you pay for.

I've got a 7.1 setup that consists of a Denon 3803, Fluance SX-HTB+ (plus 2 extra speakers), and the older model PE sub. I've yet to find anyone that wasn't shocked by the fact I paid less than $1K total, it sounds that good. And yes, it sounds very good even at ear-bleeding levels with the bass shaking the house :)

Thanks for the review of the Fluance speakers. I was considering them myself.

Frequenecy response is honestly one of the very last things I'd be concerned with.

Sound signature probably being the first. Crisp highs, clean lows, and impactful lower mids and fun upper highs, whatever you like to hear.

Honestly, audio is far to subjective to have someone point out a good setup.

Sound signature probably being the first. Crisp highs, clean lows, and impactful lower mids and fun upper highs, whatever you like to hear.
This reminds me one demonstration of a B&W 800 series large towers I listened.
Unbelievable.

I'd build a set of these: linky to 5 speakers below 100$.
Use your HTPC as a preamp/processor (an X-Fi costs about 90$) and build some digital amps. For the above speakers you'll need one AMP3 (25$) for two speakers.
For about 200$ you can get a nice matching DIY transmissionline sub too.
:)

edit:
Opps, I forgot you'll need a PSU for your amps.
Also a good update would be adding a second sub.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back