Holiday Gaming Madness

Johnny Awesome said:
I thought you didn't care about Splinter Cell Teasy? :rolleyes:

It'll never go to PS2 or GCN though. You may as well forget about it.

Do not say never. We are talking about Ubi Soft. If a wonderswan version of Splinter Cell can sell, they'll find a team in China to to the port.

If I were them, I'll keep SC exclusive on xbox. I'll sell more just with the "only for" on the box.

Over all this Christmas looks awesome for games....

wazoo said:
If I were them, I'll keep SC exclusive on xbox. I'll sell more just with the "only for" on the box.

What? If the games good, then the port to the other 85% of the gaming market is inevitable

I fail to see how it'll sell more as an XBox exclusive catering to perhaps 7M console base this winter than a ~40M PS2 and GC base.

wazoo said:
Johnny Awesome said:
I thought you didn't care about Splinter Cell Teasy? :rolleyes:

Do not say never. We are talking about Ubi Soft. If a wonderswan version of Splinter Cell can sell, they'll find a team in China to to the port.

i would to the same too.. but only during the biggest part of the sales. then release ports for other plateforms. temporary exclusivity seems to be generalized...

perhaps that in exclusivity deals there is a clause like this: if no more than xxxx units sold on xbox 6 months after the release date, you can publish the game for the other plateforms ?

given the fact that the title was first announced for PS2 and GC, i suspect the development was started for these plateforms. do you think they would scrap the development they made ?

Magnum PI said:
given the fact that the title was first announced for PS2 and GC, i suspect the development was started for these plateforms. do you think they would scrap the development they made ?

the leading platform was the PC (and not the DC :D )

I thought you didn't care about Splinter Cell Teasy?

No I don't care about it after trying it in the shops, I may give it another go but my initial feeling on the game was one of being quite bored by it. If it does turn out to be any good why would I even need the GC version?, I can get it on PC just like allot of the rest of the XBox "exclusive titles" :p

What does caring about the game have to do with this? I don't care about you but that doesn't mean I can't argue with you, so why shouldn't I argue about this game just because I don't care much about it?

Both Burnout 2 and Splinter Cell are timed exclusives only AFAIK. Yet one goes on your multi-platform list (Burnout 2) and the other goes on the exclusive XBox list.. how convenient.

Last time I checked Ubi Soft had said the game would be released for all systems. Since then they have never denied that, only went very silent on it. I assume they're now not allowed to mention the GC and PS2 versions until 2003 so MS can attempt to pretend this game is exclusive for the forceable future to help Christmas sales of XBox.

Unless you actually have some evidence to the contrary rather then just "it'll never happen because I'd cry if it did". If so please post it, I really don't care either way if the game is actually only for XBox, but I don't think that's true and I just hate to see people using double standards.

Teasy said:
Both Burnout 2 and Splinter Cell are timed exclusives only AFAIK. Yet one goes on your multi-platform list (Burnout 2) and the other goes on the exclusive XBox list.. how convenient.

Good Point, but look at the author ;)

V3, you might like to know, read the reviews at IGN and EGM(which gave it a 10/10), Metroid Prime has a rock solid 60fps, no drops at all(they left out the use of bump mapping in order to achieve this)

I'm skeptical about the "no drops at all" comment -- the Metroid Prime demo had some drops. It may be old code,but still..

I'm waiting for a non-IGN review of Metroid Prime. The Cube IGNers have been creaming themselves with hype over MP for months now, their review is suspect.

I'm also left scratching my head at how they rated it so high. The demo I played definitely gave me the impression that it was a good game, but the replay value looks awful.

I'm waiting for a non-IGN review of Metroid Prime.

Gamers.com posted one of the EGM reviews, they gave it a 10(it was Fran IIRC). Although, given EGM's recent reviews I'd tend to trust IGN quite a bit more(and that's not saying much ;) ).

Glonk said:
I'm skeptical about the "no drops at all" comment -- the Metroid Prime demo had some drops. It may be old code,but still..

I'm waiting for a non-IGN review of Metroid Prime. The Cube IGNers have been creaming themselves with hype over MP for months now, their review is suspect.

I'm also left scratching my head at how they rated it so high. The demo I played definitely gave me the impression that it was a good game, but the replay value looks awful.

how does an 8 minute demo leave an impression on replay value?

I like EGM but man thier reviews are really confusing sometimes. They are just too damn picky about some things and too inconsistant.

Glonk said:

At IGN the game was reviewed by like 5 people, two of whom were IGNPS2 writers.

Oh and I played through the demo three times in a row. I LOVE it.

I guess even Super Metroid probably wouldn't seem that replayable if you only got to play through the Ceres Station event, as well... but that's one of THE most replayable single-player games ever. :)

CaptainHowdy said:
The demo let me know it was a good game.
Judging by the reviews and descriptions of the games, I am unsure of its replay value.

Really, what is there for you to keep coming back for?

I mean...wow, you can unlock art galleries and difficulty settings. And something to do GBA stuff (which I don't have). And no multiplayer.

It looks like one of those games that's fun to play through once, then you'll never touch it again.

I'll probably rent it.

How IGN gave it a 9/10 for lasting appeal is just beyond me, though.

Does Metroid have the weapon/running bob ?

Can it be turn off ?

There is also Rygar, when is that coming out ?

tuna said:
Gubbi said:
Jeff Gerstmann over at Gamespot gave this one 8.7

I really wish Erik Wolpaw would have done the review. I would have saved my $70 this game cost me. I'm confident he would have given it at most 4.5. Bland textures, simplistic AI, even simpler level design and
crates (explicit ones) is what characterizes this game.

Don't buy this pile of sh*t. Don't even rent it.

Cheers
Gubbi

What is wrong with crates?

Erik W. used to write the best game reviews *evar* at the now defunct www.oldmanmurray.com. They saw crates as the manifestation of everything bad in shooters (remember at some time all shooters/action games had tonnes of crates), they then used the term crates about everything bad about a game.

The wooden boxen in Time Splitters 2 are not even made of wood, but instead TNT painted with a wood texturing paint, so that they explode when you shoot them. This made me reminisce the game review concept of crates.

Cheers
Gubbi

I like EGM but man thier reviews are really confusing sometimes. They are just too damn picky about some things and too inconsistant.

Lately it seems to me that gameplay has been completely removed from their review criteria, it's all about concept and visuals. Usually the rest of their mag is worth reading at least, too bad their reviews have tanked.

Glonk said:
CaptainHowdy said:
The demo let me know it was a good game.
Judging by the reviews and descriptions of the games, I am unsure of its replay value.

Really, what is there for you to keep coming back for?

I mean...wow, you can unlock art galleries and difficulty settings. And something to do GBA stuff (which I don't have). And no multiplayer.

It looks like one of those games that's fun to play through once, then you'll never touch it again.

I'll probably rent it.

How IGN gave it a 9/10 for lasting appeal is just beyond me, though.

Well if you think about it, Super Metroid has NO unlockables of any kind, however many people still play that very often, for various reasons...

Not the least of which being that there are numerous neat-O alternate routes and tricks to skipping whole sections of the game, and such. :)

Gubbi said:
Erik W. used to write the best game reviews *evar* at the now defunct www.oldmanmurray.com. They saw crates as the manifestation of everything bad in shooters (remember at some time all shooters/action games had tonnes of crates), they then used the term crates about everything bad about a game.

I loved that site. I discovered it late in their game, but read all their reviews. The one for American McGee's Alice almost made me shit myself, I was laughing so hard.

They claim to be coming back, according to their link. Hope they get back soon.

Back