Launch game scores, from DC to xbox360

PARANOiA said:
Hrmm well it's up to you, it's your thread, but I disgree. I will remember a launch by its best games, since these are the ones I'll buy, not the ones I'll never look at other that to laugh at (anyone remember Power Rangers on Megadrive heh heh).

Eg, do you remember the Xbox launch for Halo or Shrek?
Gamecube for Luigi's Mansion or Quack Attack?
PS2 for Ridge Racer or Real Pool?
DC for Soul Calibur or Airforce Delta? *shudder*

I hope you don't see me as trying to present one in a better light. I think your measurement tool is simply not correct. But that's the beauty of this world - we're free to have out opinions.

Edit: Ironically I'm actually on a work course today (Six Sigma Green Belt) which is purely based around statistics. The key learning yesterday was never to discuss average, especially with percentages, since it lies more than anything else. Cest la vie :))
True, they are mainly remembered by the good games, but say if you were a PS2 funboy, you'd like to remember the xbox launch by games like Azurik ;)

I'm not saying this is scientifically accurate at all, I just made them for the fun of it (though it wasn't that fun, really ). Yes, I did realise halfway I was making them the final scores would be totally meaningless, but thought to finish it anyway...

If I was to collate all the scores from all the games from launch to today the averages would not change much (around 7), actually the more games were introduced, the more maningless the final average would get.
You can see it in the xbox360 final averages, they're off because there is too little data, but at the same time they're more accurate statistically :D

[dramaqueen] I won't be updating the list anyway anymore anyway, so take of it what you will... it was quite a lot of work though so at least I am proud of what I made [/dramaqueen]
;)

It's a good list. I was able to collect this statistic:

DC = 18 exclusives
PS2 = 30 exclusives
Xbox = 15 exclusives
Xbox 360 = 6 exclusives

I think this also has some bearing on the quality of a launch.

errr no way in hell ps2 launched with 30 games . Let alone 30 exclusives .

Are they talking launch period ? Also what is launch period in thier estimation

jvd said:

EA didnt support DC, so every EA game was a single ps2 platform :)

rabidrabbit said:
[dramaqueen] I won't be updating the list anyway anymore anyway, so take of it what you will... it was quite a lot of work though so at least I am proud of what I made [/dramaqueen];)

It's actually quite interesting - thanks for collating (something I should have said at the start!)

rabidrabbit said:
Tony Hawk’s American Wasteland.......................Average: 9.0.....Gamespot: -

Ummm, Gamespot gave American Wasteland a 6.6, where are you getting a 9.0 average?

jvd said:

I'm pretty sure the X360 launch has the most games ever for a first day

Reactions: jvd
_leech_ said:
Ummm, Gamespot gave American Wasteland a 6.6, where are you getting a 9.0 average?
The Gamespot review wasn't yet there when I did it, the average is from the "Gamerankings" site from when I did them. I guess there was just one review for it then, which had given it 9.
As I said, I won't be updating the lists any more, so the xbox360 average scores are sure wrong already (I guess they'll be getting lower to the average 7's as the others)

Tap In said:
I'm pretty sure the X360 launch has the most games ever for a first day
ps2 had 29 i beleive, all on the first day. http://ps2.ign.com/articles/080/080661p1.html
In the end, there was a grand total of 29 different software titles released for the system in time for its debut here in the States. All of these titles are available now and made it onto store shelves by October 26, 2000.
if you wanna count handhelds also, psp had 24 on launch day.

*sorry about the double post

Ok, I updated the table on xbox360 part, and included the PS3 and Wii :)

DC
Airforce Delta................Average: 6.5.....Gamespot: 7
Blue Stinger..................Average: 7.1.....Gamespot: 6.3
CART Flag to Flag..........Average: 6.4.....Gamespot: 6.1
Expendable...................Average: 6.1.....Gamespot: 7.0
House of the Dead 2 .....Average: 7.8.....Gamespot: 6.7
Hydro Thunder..............Average: 8.0.....Gamespot: 7.9
Monaco Grand Prix.........Average: 6.9.....Gamespot: 7.4
Mortal Kombat Gold.......Average: 5.5.....Gamespot: 5.0
NFL 2000......................Average: 9.1.....Gamespot: 9.9
NFL Blitz 2000...............Average: 8.0.....Gamespot: 8.7
Pen Pen Tri-Icelon.........Average: 6.4.....Gamespot: 6.0
Power Stone ................Average: 8.4.....Gamespot: 7.6
Ready 2 Rumble............Average: 8.3.....Gamespot: 8.7
Sonic Adventure............Average: 8.7.....Gamespot: 9.2
Soul Calibur..................Average: 9.7.....Gamespot: 10.0
TNN Hardcore Heat........Average: 6.0.....Gamespot: 4.6
Tokyo Xtreme Racing.....Average: 7.1.....Gamespot: 5.6
TrickStyle......................Average: 7.2.....Gamespot: 6.4
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Average:.............................7.4....................7.23

PS2
Armored Core 2...........................Average: 7.4.....Gamespot: 7.8
Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore.............Average: 8.6.....Gamespot: 8.9
Dynasty Warriors 2.......................Average: 7.1.....Gamespot: 7.8
ESPN International Track & Field....Average: 7.1.....Gamespot: 8.1
ESPN X Games Snowboarding........Average: 7.1.....Gamespot: 6.4
Eternal Ring.................................Average: 5.8.....Gamespot: 6.3
Evergrace....................................Average: 5.2.....Gamespot: 5.2
FantaVision..................................Average: 7.2.....Gamespot: 6.6
Gun Griffon Blaze..........................Average: 7.2.....Gamespot: 7.6
Kessen.........................................Average: 7.7.....Gamespot: 7.4
Madden NFL 2001.........................Average: 8.9.....Gamespot: 9.1
Midnight Club: Street Racing..........Average: 7.7.....Gamespot: 8.4
Moto GP.......................................Average: 7.8.....Gamespot: 8.0
NHL 2001.....................................Average: 8.2.....Gamespot: 8.0
Orphen........................................Average: 5.7.....Gamespot: 6.7
Q-Ball Billiards Master...................Average: 6.6.....Gamespot: 6.6
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2...Average: 7.2.....Gamespot: 8.0
Real Pool.....................................Average: 6.0.....Gamespot: 5.4
Ridge Racer V..............................Average: 8.0.....Gamespot: 7.6
SSX............................................Average: 9.1.....Gamespot: 9.4
Silent Scope.................................Average: 6.7.....Gamespot: 4.6
Silpheed: The Lost Planet..............Average: 6.0.....Gamespot: 6.8
Smuggler's Run............................Average: 7.9.....Gamespot: 8.0
Street Fighter EX3........................Average: 6.9.....Gamespot: 7.4
Surfing H30..................................Average: 4.2.....Gamespot: 4.8
Summoner...................................Average: 7.1.....Gamespot: 7.7
Swing Away Golf...........................Average: 7.5.....Gamespot: 8.7
Tekken Tag Tournament................Average: 8.6.....Gamespot: 9.6
TimeSplitters................................Average: 8.3.....Gamespot: 8.4
Top Gear Daredevil.......................Average: 5.9.....Gamespot: 4.3
Unreal Tournament.......................Average: 7.7.....Gamespot: 8.2
Wild Wild Racing...........................Average: 6.9.....Gamespot: 6.0
X-Squad.......................................Average: 6.5.....Gamespot: 5.3
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Average:...........................................7.15....................7.25

GameCube (EU launch games as I could not find a list of US games)
2002 FIFA World Cup........................................Average: 8.1.....Gamespot: 8.9
Luigi's Mansion.................................................Average: 7.9.....Gamespot: 7.9
Wave Race: Blue Storm.....................................Average: 8.3.....Gamespot: 8.5
Batman Vengeance...........................................Average: 7.2.....Gamespot: 7.4
Bloody Roar: Primal Fury...................................Average: 7.6.....Gamespot: 7.2
Cel Damage.....................................................Average: 6.5.....Gamespot: 5.7
Crazy Taxi.......................................................Average: 7.1.....Gamespot: 4.9
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX.................................Average: 7.9.....Gamespot: 6.9
Disney's Tarzan...............................................Average: 6.2.....Gamespot: 6.2
Donald Duck Quack Attack.................................Average: 5.7.....Gamespot: 6.2
Driven.............................................................Average: 5.8.....Gamespot: 6.2
ESPN Winter Sports..........................................Average: 6.1.....Gamespot: - (no GS review available)
International Super Star Soccer 2......................Average: 7.3.....Gamespot: -
NBA Street......................................................Average: 8.5.....Gamespot: 8.8
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.................................Average: 7.2.....Gamespot: 6.8
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader.....Average: 9.0.....Gamespot: 9.4
Super Monkey Ball...........................................Average: 8.9.....Gamespot: 8.8
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3.................................Average: 8.9.....Gamespot: 9.0
Universal Studios Theme Park Adventure............Average: 3.2.....Gamespot: 3.5
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Average:...........................................................7.23....................7.19

xbox
Halo: Combat Evolved.................................Average: 9.6.....Gamespot: 9.7
Dead or Alive 3..........................................Average: 8.6.....Gamespot: 7.9
4x4 EVO 2.................................................Average: 6.1.....Gamespot: 4.8
AirForce Delta Storm..................................Average: 6.7.....Gamespot: 6.8
Cel Damage..............................................Average: 6.6.....Gamespot: 5.7
Fusion Frenzy............................................Average: 6.5.....Gamespot: 6.7
Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee........................Average: 7.9.....Gamespot: 7.9
Project Gotham Racing................................Average: 8.7.....Gamespot: 8.1
NFL Fever 2002...........................................Average: 8.1.....Gamespot: 7.9
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3............................Average: 8.9.....Gamespot: 9.6
Transworld Surf.........................................Average: 7.4.....Gamespot: 8.0
Azurik.......................................................Average: 5.4.....Gamespot: 5.0
Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions.................Average: 7.2.....Gamespot: 6.8
Jet Set Radio Future..................................Average: 8.6.....Gamespot: 8.7
Madden NFL 2002.....................................Average: 8.8.....Gamespot: 8.6
NASCAR Thunder 2002..............................Average: 8.2.....Gamespot: 8.0
NASCAR Heat 2002...................................Average: 8.0.....Gamespot: 8.6
NHL Hitz 20-02.........................................Average: 8.1.....Gamespot: 7.0
Test Drive Off Road - Wide Open...............Average: 6.2.....Gamespot: 6.8
Mad Dash Racing.....................................Average: 6.7.....Gamespot: 7.0
Shrek.....................................................Average: 5.1.....Gamespot: 5.3
4x4 Evo 2................................................Average: 6.1.....Gamespot: 4.8
Dark Summit...........................................Average: 6.6.....Gamespot: 7.1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Average:......................................................7.40...................7.25

xbox360
Amped 3............................................................Average: 7.2.....Gamespot: 7.6
Call of Duty 2......................................................Average: 9.0.....Gamespot: 8.8
Condemned: Criminal Origins...............................Average: 8.1 .....Gamespot: 8.0
FIFA Soccer 06 Road to 2006 FIFA World Cup........Average: 6.2.....Gamespot: 6.0
GUN...................................................................Average: 7.5.....Gamespot: 6.4
Kameo: Elements of Power..................................Average: 7.9.....Gamespot: 8.7
Madden NFL 06...................................................Average: 7.4.....Gamespot: 7.4
NBA 2K6.............................................................Average: 8.1.....Gamespot: 8.3
NBA LIVE 06........................................................Average: 6.4 .....Gamespot: 6.4
Need for Speed Most Wanted...............................Average: 8.3.....Gamespot: 8.4
NHL 2K6.............................................................Average: 7.6 .....Gamespot: 7.5
Perfect Dark Zero................................................Average: 8.1 .....Gamespot: 9.0
Peter Jackson’s King Kong....................................Average: 8.0 .....Gamespot: 8.2
Project Gotham Racing 3......................................Average: 8.8.....Gamespot: 8.8
Quake 4.............................................................Average: 7.4 .....Gamespot: 6.6
Ridge Racer 6....................................................Average: 7.4 .....Gamespot: 8.1
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 06.................................Average: 7.1 .....Gamespot: 7.8
Tony Hawk’s American Wasteland.......................Average: 7.5.....Gamespot: 6.6
Total Average:...........................................................7.66...................7.70

PS3
Tony HAwk's Project 8.........................................Average: 7.4.....Gamespot: 7.3
Resistance: Fall Of Man.......................................Average: 8.9.....Gamespot: 8.6
Genji..................................................................Average: 5.8 .....Gamespot: 6.4
Ridge Racer 7.....................................................Average: 8.1 ....Gamespot: 8.0
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.....................................Average: 8.3.....Gamespot: -
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire.............................Average: 3.8.....Gamespot: 3.9
NBA 07...............................................................Average: 6.5.....Gamespot: 4.9
Call of Duty 3.......................................................Average: 8.2.....Gamespot: 8.2
NHL 2K7..............................................................Average: 7.9......Gamespot: 8.3
NBA 2K7..............................................................Average: 8.2......Gamespot: 8.2
Tiger Woods PGA Tour.........................................Average: 8.2......Gamespot: 8.2
NFS: Carbon........................................................Average: 8.1......Gamespot: -
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom.............................Average: 6.0.......Gamespot: 6.0
Madden NFL07.....................................................Average: 7.7......Gamespot: 7.9

Total Average:................................................................7.36...................7.10

Wii
Legend of Zelda: Twinklight Princes............................Average: 9.6....Gamespot: 8.8
Excite ruck............................................................Average: 7.3.......Gamespot: 6.8
Wii Spots.............................................................Average: 7.5.......Gamespot: 7.8
Call Of Duty 3........................................................Average: 7.5.......Gamespot: 7.2
Tony Hawks Downhill Jam:.....................................Average: 7.0........Gamespot: 6.0
Red eel..............................................................Average: 6.8.......Gamespot: 5.5
Super Monkey Balls: Banana Blitz..........................Average: 7.8.......Gamespot: 8.3
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance......................................Average: 8.1........Gamespot: -
Rayman Raving Rabbits........................................Average: 8.0.........Gamespot: 8.0
Trauma Center: Second Opinion..........................Average: 8.1.......Gamespot: 8.0
Madden NFL 07...................................................Average: 8.1.......Ganespot: 8.4
Total Average:................................................................7.80...................7.48

Please note, that the PS3 averages are not reliable until more reviews start appearing, many of the scores are just from one review.

....To Be Continued....with more scores...(or not)

Revised Nov 21th 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I was going to hold it until tomorrow morning, so it would've been exactly one year since the first post ;)

Edit: Can the thread title be edited too, to include the PS3...

And it's interesting to note that the Gamespot scores indeed mostly are quite close to the average score, which makes the Gamespot quite a reliable source of reviews imo.

DC Soul Calibre is still the only 10?
Soul Calibur!
Yeah, Calibur is not a word, I know, but a Japanese game without an Engrish title and/or subtitle is not really a Japanese title.

By the way don't you have some Tea to make to go with your freshly baked pastries, or something, instead of going around and misspelling the name of awesome DC games! :devilish:

Back