High on Life [XB, PC, XGP]

There is that. The humor and even the art seems very Rick and Mortyish to me. Finished it last night. Mixed feelings. It really cracked me up hard a few times but it got annoying that I couldn't skip dialogue.

This game to me looks like a first person naughtier version of Rachet and Clank.
I havent played the game, but I wonder whats the backlash for because it looks good. Anyone who finished the game and wants to give some more detailed feedback you are welcome.

This is the type of game that is likely suitable for getting in and have some quick mindless fun and chuckle, something like an interactive Family Guy or Ricky and Morty game and nothing serious.

Its probably the equivalent of watching shorts in Social Media to kill time but in a game version. So I suspect reasons why this game is very suitable for gamepass but not so much sold as a separate game.

But then again this may be a sign of things to come from a cheap subscription service, where now it seems fine to play multiple AAA that required multi million budgets, but unsure if its sustainable for the future.
Quickies and light games are probably the best options for Gamepass in the future.

It actually has a plot and storyline, it's not very long though. I'm not in love with the artistic style, but it's insanely well done and there has been a ton of effort put in to making it all work well together. A few mindless chuckles sure, but I had at least 3 full out loud belly laughs playing through it which is a lot more than normal. It's worth trying if you like Rick and Morty for sure, but if you dislike the show the game will grate on your nerves.

Kind of not surprising considering it's using a TV series that is popular with nerds/gamers.

Without GamePass this likely doesn't sell as well as many people have grown to associate movie/TV series tie in games with poor gameplay, spotty quality and them being a blatant cash grab. So, a lot of people would be reluctant to pay full price for such a game.

GamePass changes that by letting anyone that likes the TV series to try it with no cost (if they are already a subscriber) or minimal cost (if they aren't already a subscriber).

Those people can then tell their friend's that the game is actually really good and they need to play it.

I like the show, but I wouldn't have bought the game since I'm one of the ones that has grown to be skeptical of any movie or TV show based game being any good. There are exceptions like Guardians of the Galaxy, but there are far FAR more that are either mediocre at best or downright crap fests.

GamePass actually allows me to check it out where I otherwise wouldn't touch it with a proverbial 10 foot pole.

Regards,
SB
Agree that GamePass can expose the game to more than just Rick and Morty fans at minimal cost/regret, but their last game (Trover Saves the Universe) was decent. Technical issues aside (and they’re not alone in this launch “feature”), at this point the studio should have a decent rep.

This game to me looks like a first person naughtier version of Rachet and Clank.
I havent played the game, but I wonder whats the backlash for because it looks good. Anyone who finished the game and wants to give some more detailed feedback you are welcome.

This is the type of game that is likely suitable for getting in and have some quick mindless fun and chuckle, something like an interactive Family Guy or Ricky and Morty game and nothing serious.

Its probably the equivalent of watching shorts in Social Media to kill time but in a game version. So I suspect reasons why this game is very suitable for gamepass but not so much sold as a separate game.

But then again this may be a sign of things to come from a cheap subscription service, where now it seems fine to play multiple AAA that required multi million budgets, but unsure if its sustainable for the future.
Quickies and light games are probably the best options for Gamepass in the future.

Not shocked that you are trying to spin a GP success story into some harbinger of doom for the service. :)

Maybe I should post in the God of War thread that Sony is doomed because all they can do is make brilliant AAA 3rd person adventures and that they can't seem to appeal to the casual player anymore. LOL

Maybe I should post in the God of War thread that Sony is doomed because all they can do is make brilliant AAA 3rd person adventures and that they can't seem to appeal to the casual player anymore. LOL

GamePass is the ultimate try-before-you-buy, and it addresses the issue of there generally being less demos for people have have a play with before spending $10-$70. GamePass goes beyond that because you don't have to buy at all, where I have read several accounts by devs about users who may have bought but got their fill from the demo or just replayed it to death.

What Microsoft are doing with GamePass I feel is less about trying to change the videogame model, but merely adapting to changing behaviours of a generation who want to dip into any form of content - music, TV, movies - and now games, and 'taste' it without a financial commitment. The only risk here, is it this fundamentally changes the value/economics model beyond what is economically viable. An example of this is any industry (like the PC industry) where there is a race to the bottom on pricing, or Netflix where they kill concept not because the aren't popular but because they aren't financially viable.

Like gamer behaviour, the industry is in transition. Exactly what it will look like on the other side is anybody's guess.

I'm loving the game. Glad it's finding success with GamePass. The fact that games like this and Pentiment would likely never be made without it tells me just how important it is.

I'm playing the GamePass version, since $69CAD is a bit too much lol.. but I'll likely buy it on Steam as well after it gets a big enough discount.

I think the game looks quite good visually. I know they recently patched the game to fix the shader compilation stuttering, and I basically haven't had any stuttering at all. No shader comp stutter, just a couple stutters when it loads between large area, as usual with Unreal Engine games. It's quite demanding at high resolutions when maxed out though.

High1.png

Back