high dpi lcd price

malcolm

Newcomer
Im wondering how much more expensive a double dpi lcd would be when its being as mass produced as the low dpi ones now.
Now i think the price ratio of normal to double dpi is x3.
Im pretty sure the price would stay higher, but what is the reason?
Does it take longer to manufacture, or are there also those yields problems with lcd's?
Maybe its also partly the more expensive electronics needed?

A bit OT maybe, but numerous notebooks employ panels with more dpi, so they are mass produced atm. However higher dpi displays don't match too well with todays "fixed dpi" GUIs from a usabilty pov. The advent of Longhorn may well change that.

I hope longhorn changes that.
Does anyone know the price difference between the different resolutions on same size?
Im trying to understand why higher resolution costs more, doesnt anyone here know that?
It takes up the same space on the production line so i would think the output of the same factory could be the same.
Like i said the only reasons i can find is it takes longer, has lower yields or has more expensive electronics, id realy like to know this.

Why is the price difference between 17" and 19" so big?
19" only has a 25percent extra surface area and considering everything else should be about the same price, all this does is give 4/5th the panels from the same production volume, so why does the price go up 60percent?
Are they keeping the prices artificialy high?

malcolm said:
I hope longhorn changes that.
Does anyone know the price difference between the different resolutions on same size?
Im trying to understand why higher resolution costs more, doesnt anyone here know that?
It takes up the same space on the production line so i would think the output of the same factory could be the same.
Like i said the only reasons i can find is it takes longer, has lower yields or has more expensive electronics, id realy like to know this.
The difference is in manufacturing (and marketing, off course), just think about the sheer number devices that comprise a TFT panel (i.e. 1280x1024x3 ~= 4M transistors) and how many of those you absolutely have to get right to be able to sell the panel. (depending on your policies, at least 99.95%)

Higher dpi makes each transistor smaller and therefore harder to make and the percentage of misbehaving pixels you can take without the customer screaming at you tanks. Higher costs, lower yields + marketing => significantly higher price.

cu

incurable

malcolm said:
Why is the price difference between 17" and 19" so big?
19" only has a 25percent extra surface area and considering everything else should be about the same price, all this does is give 4/5th the panels from the same production volume, so why does the price go up 60percent?
Are they keeping the prices artificialy high?

Because the manufacturing costs don't rise linearily with screen area...

I think the manufacturing costs dont get higher for 19inch screens like you say, i know they make big panels of something like 1300x1100mm and then cut out the individual displays.
I dont see why the manufacturing costs of a plate should get higher just because you cut them in bigger pieces, and the yields should stay the same since the resolution is the same on 17" and 19" displays.
So 4/5th amount should be around 25percent higher manufacturing cost.
I dont think the frame and backlight should get more than 25percent more expensive either and electronics should be about the same...
Im guessing for 17-19inch the price difference is probably mostly due to artificial economics reasons.

incurable said:
The difference is in manufacturing (and marketing, off course), just think about the sheer number devices that comprise a TFT panel (i.e. 1280x1024x3 ~= 4M transistors) and how many of those you absolutely have to get right to be able to sell the panel. (depending on your policies, at least 99.95%)

Higher dpi makes each transistor smaller and therefore harder to make and the percentage of misbehaving pixels you can take without the customer screaming at you tanks. Higher costs, lower yields + marketing => significantly higher price.

cu

incurable

So its mostly the yields with not having to many dead pixels.
I didnt know they still sold displays with dead pixels, i was hoping to get one without when i buy mine.
I dont understand why smaller and more transistors should increase manufacturing costs tough exept because of the yields, unless it makes the production slower or has a higher material cost.

Back