Help finding 100% free software alternatives

[Brick_top]

Newcomer
Hi, I need to find good 100% free software alternatives to some that I use at home but my boss doesn't want to register.

I already have:

Firefox
Vlc Media player
Media player classic
Virtual Dub
7zip
Winamp
pdf995

And I need alternatives for:

IrfanView
Textpad

Could anyone tell me if any of the ones I already have are completely free for any use?

Thanks, and sorry if my english sounds strange

Not maybe what you need, but I thought about a thread like this earlier, basically just to share that there is some great free software out there - the trouble generally is knowing which one to get.

Software that I'd like to add to the list:

- audacity (great free audio recording and manipulation tool)
- blender3d (great free 3D modelling application)

Though I'm sure most people know the second one already. ;) I'm extremely grateful for the existence of these two applications, as they really make my life easier, and it's also great to know I'll be able to use them on Linux once I move to that platform (bound to happen eventually, as I'm considering boycotting Vista)

Arwin

As a "simple" text editor PSPad has completely taken over for me. It might be too heavy for what you are looking for though. (Starts in less than 1 sec. on my machine though)
http://www.pspad.com/en/

\offtopic {I used to be a Crimson Editor fan, but it has some loose ends that PSPad does much better IMO and Crimson Editor hasn't had a new version in a few years. The most hardcore fans of CE has even started their own project due to lack of faith in a new version.}

Not maybe what you need, but I thought about a thread like this earlier, basically just to share that there is some great free software out there - the trouble generally is knowing which one to get.

Software that I'd like to add to the list:

- audacity (great free audio recording and manipulation tool)
- blender3d (great free 3D modelling application)

Though I'm sure most people know the second one already. ;) I'm extremely grateful for the existence of these two applications, as they really make my life easier, and it's also great to know I'll be able to use them on Linux once I move to that platform (bound to happen eventually, as I'm considering boycotting Vista)

Arwin

Thanks, If I ever plan on doing audio or 3d I'll give them a try.

do you mean free as in 'free beer' or in 'free speech' (open source)?

if the first, what is non-free about irfanview?
if the second, since when is winamp open source?

do you mean free as in 'free beer' or in 'free speech' (open source)?

if the first, what is non-free about irfanview?
if the second, since when is winamp open source?

I mean free as in free for "private" or commercial use. If for any reason the way I wrote was implying that winamp is open source it wasn't on purpose, I know it isn't. I don't know all the implications about open source, all I want to know is if any of the software I mentioned is free for "private" and commercial use and find an alternative for Irfanview since I'm already using PSPad as a replacement for Textpad.

Microsoft, Borland and many others offer free copies of all their development tools as well, like programming languages, SQL servers, etc. Pimero is an Outlook clone that has appointments etc. without the need for an Exchange server. AVG is a great virusscanner. And WAMPserver is pretty good as well. Etc.

The list is long.

Sourceforge.net hosts most of the OpenSource projects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed, Sourceforge has a pretty good search function, which should help you find things. Also, tinyapps.org is not for free software, but small software -- but -a lot of what they have is free software, so check it out. Also, some of this software you're mentioning is awfully cheap... It might be cheaper (considering what your time is worth) to register some of it than look for alternatives ;p

Could someone clear something for me? Does Open source means the software is free for commercial use? does the GNU "General public licence" implies free for commercial use also?

Microsoft, Borland and many others offer free copies of all their development tools as well, like programming languages, SQL servers, etc. Pimero is an Outlook clone that has appointments etc. without the need for an Exchange server. AVG is a great virusscanner. And WAMPserver is pretty good as well. Etc.

The list is long.

Unfortunately I don't use that kind of software, and AVG is only for Private use.

off the top of my head:

Paint.Net
FreeUndelete
Windows Defender
Opera
everything sysinternals has ever made (specifically process explorer)

are programs that you shouldn't be without.

A free FTP client thats actually good would be nice. (I don't like the mozilla one at all)

I know they aren't text editors, but I thought I'd add my 10c. :yes:

Anybody know a good free Mp3 splitter?

There are one or two I have found, but they dont work on huge files (~95 minutes) and seem rather rudimentary.
________
Bong reviews

Back