Help a newb with Home Audio

I may just go with an el cheapo sound system for the time being just to get some kind of upgrade.

Back to that "lag" issue. So even though my TV has a DSP for sound processing and natively does "virtual" Dolby Digital through it's own speakers, is it still likely I will have audio lag if I hook up a surround sound system to the tv, instead of running my devices through a receiver first?

Ok, I think I've finally found a solution. Seems like all the entry-level HT systems on the market focus more on the player's capabilities than anything else, so they leave off a bunch of connections. I've found a set from Sony that just has an amp/receiver - no player. This apparently has allowed them to fit in the much-needed SPDIF connection (as well as an optical connection). Since my TV has SPDIF in and out, I'm guessing I can just run a coax cable from the SPDIF out on my TV to the SPDIF in on the receiver of the Sony HT set I'm looking at.

Could anyone confirm this for me? Here's the set I'm looking at. I know it's bargain-basement but surely it's better than what I have now.

Also, do I need any special cable for this, or does it take regular coax cable (like the kind used for cable tv)?

Thanks in advance!

I may just go with an el cheapo sound system for the time being just to get some kind of upgrade.

Back to that "lag" issue. So even though my TV has a DSP for sound processing and natively does "virtual" Dolby Digital through it's own speakers, is it still likely I will have audio lag if I hook up a surround sound system to the tv, instead of running my devices through a receiver first?

Well, I guess it depends on the quality of the receiver, and what type of signal you're trying to decode.
I've got a Denon AVR 1907 which I'm rather happy with, and just using it to decode the sound on my DVDs works for movies. But when playing "Rolling Stones:The Biggest Bang", I get noticeable delay in the audio (not the DVDs fault).
So I'd be weary of adding another device to the chain.
But perhaps your tv has an option to manually set a delay to compensate?

Well, I think I'm gonna try it out and see if there's any noticeable lag. If there is, I'm sure either my tv or the receiver will have an offset option.

I answered my own question about SPDIF, so no more questions for now.

Thanks again everyone!

Not sure if you already made a choice, but Onkyo is a great value for the lower-end models. The price on the HT-SP908 model seems to fluctuate a bit with sometimes dropping down to $699 offered from Amazon.com or 6thAve or Vanns (Link).

Over the holidays I setup a lower end model Onkyo HT-SR800 for my parents which was $415 from local CircuitCity with tax after a 10% discount. The TV set doesn't have HDMI inputs and only two signal devices, a SA 8240HDC and a DVD player. There was no real need to go to the 908 model as upconversion or HDMI processing wasn't needed. The room they have it in is 20x18 feet, with not much room for a full 7.1 setup, so it's configured as 5.1. The volume levels seem to show as dBs, and with it set around 45 - 50 range it rattles the house when the subwoofer gets going. They typically use 27-35 for watching TV/cable and 45 for movies. The sound is very nice and loud. I'm happy with it and so are they.

AVSforum seems to like the Onkyo or Denon/Marantz.

I'm going waaaaay low-end. As in the whole setup won't cost as much as the receiver I was planning to get previously. So it's really just something to get me by until I can afford a worthwhile setup.

Well, I went and got a Philips HT box setup last night. HTS3555 1000W 5.1 channel setup. Cost $230. I hooked it up and it works great! The only problems I've had with audio lag so far have been with cable, usually when changing channels but that's easily corrected by hitting the "audio sync" button on the receiver's remote, changing channels again, or just waiting for the problem to correct itself.

It was a PITA getting everything setup last night and getting all the speakers placed and cables routed, but mostly because I'm an anal retentive bastard who shouldn't be allowed near a zip tie :p

I'm happy with the unit. No complaints so far. Haven't had much of a chance to test it out, watched a college basketball game in HD, the first couple episodes of Planet Earth on Blu-ray, and a couple movies on cable. True surround sound is fantastic. The difference between this and the integrated speakers is like the difference between SD video and Blu-ray. I've had HT setups before but I'm truly impressed with this set, especially considering how little I paid for it. The sound is powerful without being distorted, and very distinct.

I would definitely recommend this boxed set to anyone in the market for an affordable surround sound package.

I think you made the right decision.

Audio is a very expensive thing to spend money on, and it's not really until you get to the likes of denon/high end yamaha, etc, that you can really be confident you'll get a system that hasn't been 'skimped' on :) by getting an all-in-one, you know exactly what you are getting into and don't end up paying for things you don't need - and don't get nasty surprises.

I've currently on my 4th amp, and I'm finally happy with it. But all the others had serious issues (I had the most trouble with marantz and HK). Now I'm on a yama that doesn't even have hdmi but frankly I don't care because I don't need it and it's a hell of an amp otherwise.
I'm also on my 3rd set of real speakers, and while I'm really happy with them, I shudder at the money this 'hobby' has cost me :yes:

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it's very easy to get stuck in an upgrade cycle in HT audio, to the point where you are just doing it for the sake of it. Just look at the likes of TrueHD etc. Good for you for getting something you are happy with for the price you paid. :mrgreen:

Congrats on your setup!
Great that you don't experience any audio lagg!

Now kick back, relax, and try not to get too many complaints from your neighbours ;)

True surround sound is fantastic.
Not sure if you read my previous posts, but make sure you connect an audio cable directly from your devices (HD box, PS3) to the receiver if you want real surround sound. I don't think there are any TVs that pass 5.1 to the reciever from HDMI and just do PCM 2.0 instead.

Not sure if you read my previous posts, but make sure you connect an audio cable directly from your devices (HD box, PS3) to the receiver if you want real surround sound. I don't think there are any TVs that pass 5.1 to the reciever from HDMI and just do PCM 2.0 instead.

Nope. I clearly hear distinct channels from the rear speakers. It's 5.1 alright, not just the front channels replayed through the rear speakers.

Any of you used the Cambridge Audio brand home-theater receivers? I really like their integrated amps, but I've never touched the home theater stuff.

Nope. I clearly hear distinct channels from the rear speakers. It's 5.1 alright, not just the front channels replayed through the rear speakers.
You'll get distinct channels when your receiver processes 2 channel PCM using Dolby PLII as well though, so that alone doesn't prove anything. Does the receiver's display acknowledge that it is getting a Dolby Dgital 5.1 signal?

You'll get distinct channels when your receiver processes 2 channel PCM using Dolby PLII as well though, so that alone doesn't prove anything. Does the receiver's display acknowledge that it is getting a Dolby Dgital 5.1 signal?

I'll have to check on that. It says so at startup, but it may very well be PLII during playback.

Ok, the receiver does say PLII, but as I said previously I can definitely make out more than two channels and the rear speakers are playing audio from a reverse position (when applicable). Is the receiver really taking a 2 channel audio signal and interpolating the other channels? I was playing FEAR on PS3 just the other day and when I turn the audio moves accordingly.

Extrapolating acutally, but yeah that is what PLII does. You'll need to run the the digital audio cable directly from the console to the receiver for proper surround sound.

Extrapolating acutally, but yeah that is what PLII does. You'll need to run the the digital audio cable directly from the console to the receiver for proper surround sound.

Sounds good enough to me. I suppose I could pick up an optical cable if it came down to it...

Back