Help a newb with Home Audio

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I'm gonna go do some heavy reading on AVS, and probably create another thread there. My biggest limitation is that I must purchase from Best Buy (can't use a Best Buy card @ Amazon:p). I know their prices generally suck, but I've got a fantastic offer to finance a home theater so I figured I'd take the opportunity. Otherwise I'll be stuck with 2x8W integrated speakers for quite some time.

I'll raise the bar to around 1200-1300 w/speakers. I want standing floor speakers for the front channels though. I don't need a fantastic receiver, just something that will take 2x HDMI inputs (1080P) and also does 1080P over HDMI out.

Will you have any non-HDMI inputs?

Have them - yes
Use them - no

PC - HDMI (straight to tv, no audio involved - separate PC speakers for audio)
PS3 - HDMI to receiver to tv
HD DVR - HDMI to receiver to tv

I have 3 HDMI inputs on my tv. If I connect 2 devices to the receiver via HDMI (PS3 and HD DVR) and the receiver to the tv via HDMI, then the PC straight to the tv (audio via separate PC speakers), that will leave me with 1 HDMI port on my tv for an Xbox360 if and when I get one. I have zero plans for any other devices to be hooked to either the tv or the receiver, and if I can't hook a future 360 into the receiver it's no big deal since it'll just be for games anyway. It's the media-playback devices like the DVR and the PS3 that I want surround sound for.

Much easier.
Which Scientific Atlanta DVR do you have - the 8300 or the one that ends in a C? Mine's the latest and the older one I have upstairs doesn't do that resolutions switching thing.

I like Malo's suggestion - that cheaper Denon (or Onkyo 605) with good speaks.

Much easier.
Which Scientific Atlanta DVR do you have - the 8300 or the one that ends in a C? Mine's the latest and the older one I have upstairs doesn't do that resolutions switching thing.

It's got a C in it.

or this one for a bit more:

HK/JBL

I just saw that one. And it just moved up to the top of my list. That HK 247 looks like a good receiver, it's got the right inputs & outputs, the only concern is whether it has issues with 1080P on any of those.

Edit: Grrr, none of the local stores have that set in-stock.

2nd edit: checking again, one store near my workplace has it in-stock. I think I'll head over there after work and check it out.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I have one newb question about setup. I assume that since my PS3 & HD cable box are currently sending audio & video over HDMI to my TV, all I need to do is get a receiver and speakers and use the audio-out SPDIF port on my TV to send audio to the receiver. Is this correct, or do I need to run everything through the receiver first?
There are a few options with home audio that you need to weight the pros and cons of.

One route is to have an HDMI receiver (which costs more) and plug in all devices into that with an HDMI video output to your TV. Then you switch between all your sources using the receiver, keeping the TV on the same input.

Another option is to put all your sources into the TV and run a cable from the TV's audio output to the receiver. Then you don't need an HDMI receiver, and you switch between sources on the TV, keeping the receiver on the same input. The problem here is that a lot of SPDIF outputs on TVs don't properly pass through the audio, and only give you 2.1 output. Not sure why, but that's just the way it's been for a while, so try googling your TV to see if that's an issue. I don't think Mize is right about the audio delay about going into the TV first.

Finally, you can hook up audio and video sources directly from your devices to your receiver and TV, respectively. Then you don't need an HDMI receiver, but have to switch the inputs on both the TV and the receiver when watching something. You won't have the TV screwing up any 5.1 sound, though.

I know it's ugly, but that's the way it is.

The first time you get that car zooming up behind you in Superman Returns with good 5.1 you won't regret it :)

That and baddies shooting from behind in CoD4, etc. Just hope the HK lives up to the specs and isn't too much of a pain to set up.

Much easier.

AFAIK All SARA driven SA8300's have the ability to force one output resolution. This applies to component and HDMI. This Guide should work for the 8300 as well. It has been a while since I set my 8300 up. I recommend setting it to one resolution though. The 8300's seem to always turn on in 480i/p mode even if you were watching a hd channel. It can get annoying to have to flip to a non hd channel then flip back to what you were watching.

My unit tells me (under settings) I cannot select the output resolution on HDMI but it allows me to do it on component. This is an 8300HDC delivered about 2 weeks ago.

I have an older unit (about 1.5 years old) upstairs (8300HD I believe). It has a totally different UI and *does* allow me to select resolution on HDMI.

Hm, interesting. This 8300HDC seems newer than what I can find info on. Let me do some digging, I'll update this post if I find anything.

EDIT: This post on AVS seems to be what you are experiencing. Sounds like there is no currently known fix for the forced HDMI pass-through problem. That sucks... *hugs 8300HD tightly*

Last edited by a moderator:
Back