Heavenly Sword (wow)

My sentiments exactly...which is why between the "must have RSX information or my head will explode" and "We MUST have blood and guts and general overall gore" == entry into my very small "ignore list".

EDIT: I would trade the images left in my head from my military years with anyone...my signature was my life, blood and guts is over-rated, you want realistic, join the military.

Did you fight in a war? If so which one?

Many = babcat.

Well I certainly wouldn't like if they clean up God of War, there is a place for blood and core, even if it's not at SAW 3 level. I personally wouldn't mind if I see some red while playing HS, they don't have to over do it though. I mean it's clear that HS is a bit different type of game than God of War so the level of brutality can be much lower, but just a little bit red won't do any harm... :smile:

Well I certainly wouldn't like if they clean up God of War, there is a place for blood and core, even if it's not at SAW 3 level. I personally wouldn't mind if I see some red while playing HS, they don't have to over do it though. I mean it's clear that HS is a bit different type of game than God of War so the level of brutality can be much lower, but just a little bit red won't do any harm... :smile:

Me and you agree completely on this topic.

Looks like they're starting the GOW2 hype already. Got an email from Playstation Underground about picking Kratos' outfit or some such nonsense.

Maybe it's a difference between a game developed in the US vs. UK or something.

Main concern about HS is that the controls are responsive. The chaining of those moves seem unbelievable so I hope you really feel like you can execute any combos at will.

That to me is more important than blood or whatever.

I won't buy MA rated games. I really want to play HS. However, I can't play games that are MA in front of my kid. Her mental health is more important to me than my gaming enjoyment.
Demonstrating to a kid that you can whack people up with knives, swords and throwing stars all you want, and the worst that will happen in the process is them getting sleepy and lying down is, if anything, worse than allowing them to see even pseudo-realistic consequences of violence.
(I am not proposing that anyone should make kids watch realistic violence, just that whenever the action is there, so should be the consequences)

Demonstrating to a kid that you can whack people up with knives, swords and throwing stars all you want, and the worst that will happen in the process is them getting sleepy and lying down is, if anything, worse than allowing them to see even pseudo-realistic consequences of violence.
(I am not proposing that anyone should make kids watch realistic violence, just that whenever the action is there, so should be the consequences)

You are talking about 90% of cartoons ever made!!!

You ever saw He-man hack off a limb or someone actually bite the bullet in the ongoing war that was G.I Joe.

I remember how distraugt I was when Optimus Prime died. It was a tragedy to see such a well loved autobot die due to loss of radiator fluid.

You ever saw He-man hack off a limb or someone actually bite the bullet in the ongoing war that was G.I Joe.

I remember how distraugt I was when Optimus Prime died. It was a tragedy to see such a well loved autobot die due to loss of radiator fluid.

I was the same when i saw the transformer movie and they actually killed a bunch of autobots. Then when they killed optimus prime I had a stomach ache for a month. He was my favourite cartoon character and to see him nearly cut in half and then die on a table was very disturbing.

I dont think He-man ever hacked off a limb, and specifically nobody ever died in Gi-Joe.

To put this thread back on topic, here's DeanoC's reply in the 16.000 Chicken thread that relates to Heavenly Sword's battle scenes:

The army AI in HS is entirely SPU based, its hierarchical with 'battalion' logic (groups of say 200 soldiers) each battalion is running a custom VM programmed in a crude visual programming langauge in our editor. Then a spatial hierarchy breaks up the battlefield into chunks with a number of soldiers in, each chunk is farmed off to an SPU where each soldier runs collision, avoidance and personal AI.
Then afterwards another SPU program, does some work to help sort and farm out work to the renderer... Some of this is done on the PPU more because some of our internal API are PPU based on moving that little bit over to SPU was too much work at the mo.

The effect is that there is high level designer control, but each solider seems fairly intelligent, avoiding things, attacking the player etc.
Its not based on any normal flocking stuff (which i find very uncontrollable) but instead has this two level logic, where my battalion order would have me going/currently at and where my local intelligence has told me to be.

Interesting stuff, Deano! Thanks for sharing - can't wait to see it in action!

The truth of the matter is that if a game like Heavenly Sword is going to push for realism at all then it must be very violent. I think it will be silly if Nariko has all kinds of swords and weapons but that they barely injure her enemies. We need blood, severed limbs, and impalement. Why? Because what do you think a giant sword being swung around by a super powered person would do?

Did you write to Nintendo asking there be more blood in "Mario Golf?"

I dont think He-man ever hacked off a limb, and specifically nobody ever died in Gi-Joe.

thats my point. cartoons are famous for showing boatloads of violence but with little or no consquences. I find it hard to believe that showing a child such a cartoon will somehow cause irreparable harm. Child come to understand real violence versus what they see on TV very early in life with an experience called "pain".

Is the game always 1 vs many? Or does the hero character sometimes have other armies on her side?
There's 1 on 1, 1 vs a group. and 1 vs. an Army. To date only the 1 vs. group has really been shown which is where people are getting confused about the nature of the game.

Link to scan removed

- Game focuses only on combat - no puzzles or platforming

-NT has done a lot of things to the combat system to prevent it from
becoming a button masher. They added ability to perform juggles, hero
sequences and other things which I am not going to type

some old stuff

- Three combat stances - Power stance (slow but can break shields and other defenses)

-Speed stance - fast and versatile weak combos using twin blades

-Range stance - good for multiple enemies, blades and extend

- Interactive and destructible environments - tables, chairs, shields etc even dead bodies can be used as a projectile

-Hero sequences - like the one at the end of the E3 demo (God of war style)

-Skills can be upgraded

-The animation still rocks and enemies shout and tout as you fight them.

-Digital casts -some guy from Lord of the rings playing as the evil overlord king

-large battlefield combat is still in and you can knock out large armies with a bazooka gun

Some new cast members (friends, weirdos, and boss enemies)

Roach - King's son, dressed in in Japanese style armor with big shield
on the back, kinda like the fat guy from Genji or onimusha 2?

Whiptail - looks like Shiva from FF games (blue skin) with long green hair. She likes body modifications and cannibalism

Kai - Nariko's sister, dressed in a typical Japanese anime style tiny outfit with white camo on face. Uses crossbow

Flying Fox - aerial kung fu expert - Looks cool!

Screens observations

-Graphics still look good - I think they are still using 4X AA and anisotropic filtering

- 6 new screens in the mag. Most of them show what seems to be smaller
areas surrounded by a forest (the trees look good! probably using
speedtree)

-One small screen shows a big open mountainous area but you can see fog (not very detailed like the smaller arena stages)

-another screen shows Nariko firing the cannon but the large armies are
not shown. I must say the sparks resulting from firing the cannon look
quiet spectacular!

-One large screen shows Nariko standing on top of some cemented castle
or arena. Normal mapped environments are evident here. Wall textures
look ok and there is some nice bump mapping going on as well.

-Another smaller screen shows BLOOD! YAY ^_^ but no gore

Very dissapointed - my anticipation just dropped a lot. :cry:

The story sounds extremely derigative of God of War - protoganist dies at the start of the game, and everything else is flashbacks?

And NO puzzles or platforming means that this game is merely a fancy brawler with graphics.

If you're gonna ripoff God of War why not rip off the puzzles, platforming or exploration as well? This game is basically going to be: run to this room, trigger cutscene, fight small group, cutscene, run up some steps to another area, cutscene, fight large group,, run outside, fight stops to trigger cutscene with boss's entrance, contextual button press boxx battle with boss, cutscene, explaining plot... fight... cutscene... fight... cutscene.

That's sounds REALLY boring to me. What hurts even more is the media drought on this game. It needs videos proving that the combat is fun and varies throughout the ENTIRE GAME.

Hey.. A question for Deano/nAo, Does HS support 1080i? I hope so because I unfortunately am the owner of a gimped 26" samsung widescreen 'HDTV' which supports 480p/1080i..

http://www.play3-live.com/news-ps3/2888/nouveaux-scans-pour-heavenly-sword.html

Very dissapointed - my anticipation just dropped a lot. :cry:

The story sounds extremely derigative of God of War - protoganist dies at the start of the game, and everything else is flashbacks?

And NO puzzles or platforming means that this game is merely a fancy brawler with graphics.

If you're gonna ripoff God of War why not rip off the puzzles, platforming or exploration as well? This game is basically going to be: run to this room, trigger cutscene, fight small group, cutscene, run up some steps to another area, cutscene, fight large group,, run outside, fight stops to trigger cutscene with boss's entrance, contextual button press boxx battle with boss, cutscene, explaining plot... fight... cutscene... fight... cutscene.

That's sounds REALLY boring to me. What hurts even more is the media drought on this game. It needs videos proving that the combat is fun and varies throughout the ENTIRE GAME.

No no. The "action" genre is still viable. It just takes killer gameplay to carry it. Whether HS can deliver the gameplay to carry a pure action game is not yet known....

Succesful examples: Lost Planet, Devil May Cry, ZOE2, Contra.

You don't need variety in any particular amount to make a good game. You need gameplay to make a good game.

Back