Heavenly Sword fills a BD-25 disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bohdy

Regular
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=170939

We have jam-packed the Blu-Ray disc absolutely full. Yes, we used compression all over the place. We had to be really judicious at the end with what was going on the disc and what wasn't.

And apparently more than 10GB of audio data alone.

I've posted this in the Tech section because though we always hear "our game can't fit on DVD, it uses 50gigs and compression, etc" from various developers, we never hear anything specific about the data allocation on the disk, the compression algorithms used, etc.

So seeing as we have some key Theoretic Ninjas on the board, I thought that they might (please!). clarify these details, giving us a look into the kinds of things that take up data in a modern game.

It would be nice to know these things! Starting with: Is the audio data compressed?

oldbtfue4.jpg

Has been posted in the main HS thread although from a different source

The post Darkon was refering to.

We use a mixture of compressed and uncompressed, but lots were compressed for the reasons people have stated.

Make no doubt, fitting all the audio in and not stuttering and being the the highest quality we could get wasn't easy, it was quite a problem even with the size of blu-ray.

At one point we seriously considered dual layer Blu-ray cos of disk space issues.

But personally I think the audio is really really good, but maybe i'm biased :D

More on the linked page.

Aha, I see. Seems that Deano has already partially answered the first of my questions.

I'd still like to see this topic become a detailed the breakdown of the data in a modern game for the sake of the hopelessly curious, however :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back