Heaven less opulent than Vatican, reports disappointed Pope

CMAN said:
:LOL:

For some reason, I think that might offend people though... ;)

Well if they find that offensive they should probably try reading the Bible. It's actually kind of funny, but the Bible (at least Genesis 1-35 so far) is pretty darn far off from modern christianity.

If you want to see offended people, take a Bible as Literature class at University and watch as all the religious nuts try and fit "The Word of God" into their preconcieved view of what the Bible says.

Sorry, I'm currently taking just such a class this term, and it has been one of the most interesting courses I've had in a long time. And not even because of all the bible thumpers who are in there, but the material is actually quite fascinating and the stories interesting so far.

But yes back (slightly) on topic, if any modern day religious people find this offensive they probably should try reading their own holy book, preferably starting from the beginning.

This was friggen hilarious :LOL: and perfectly illustrates another reason why I dislike pretty much all churches of the world, because they exist to such a large extent solely to line the pockets of those at the top... :?

Thanks for linkee!

Killer-Kris said:
Well if they find that offensive they should probably try reading the Bible. It's actually kind of funny, but the Bible (at least Genesis 1-35 so far) is pretty darn far off from modern christianity.
I got a giggle out of that. Of COURSE Genesis 1-35 is pretty darn far off from modern christianity. Genesis 1-35 is about the jewish faith, from which Christianity developed.

Try skipping ahead a dozen or two books ;)

RussSchultz said:
Killer-Kris said:
I got a giggle out of that. Of COURSE Genesis 1-35 is pretty darn far off from modern christianity. Genesis 1-35 is about the jewish faith, from which Christianity developed.

but isn't is supposed to be the Word of God too?

biglol.gif

Yes, but the old testament is about the jewish faith, establishing who God is, what his interaction with his people is (the covenent and the laws) and laying out the framework for the prophesy of the messiah.

The new testament (what defines modern Christianity) re-defines the covenent, and fulfills the prophesy, etc. etc.

There's a reason Genesis doesn't match modern Christianity--because it's describing ancient judaism.

RussSchultz said:
There's a reason Genesis doesn't match modern Christianity
Yes, because it's all a made-up fairy tale that they alter to suit their convenience. :)

(Sorry, I'll behave now that I got that out of me system. )

RussSchultz said:
Killer-Kris said:

Of course I know things definitely change a lot, heck there's a HUGE difference in the writing between the different redactors we've encountered so far.

But yeah, as Druga pointed out the Old Testament is supposed to be the world of God as well. And I think it's silly when modern day Christians try to use it justify all sorts of crazy thinks. But yeah the parts I've found fascinating is that in the Old Testament, God seems to love those who lie, cheat, steal, and are all around not the nicest people there are. Of course anytime he speaks to them, things tend to go for the worse for a while, and he sure takes his sweet time getting around to fulfilling any promises he makes. Which is all contrary to modern day religion, where God only picks the most saintly, devote, and holy people, his promises are fulfilled immediately, and the people he chooses live a perfect and wonderful life from that point on. (Now whether or not the New Testament sets a precedent for this I don't know yet, but it is certainly the mind set of pretty much all the Christians I've ever met.)

Oh, and where does the Bible switch from it being ok to laugh at, and question God, to that being about one of the most heinous things you could do?

Killer-Kris said:
RussSchultz said:
Killer-Kris said:

Of course I know things definitely change a lot, heck there's a HUGE difference in the writing between the different redactors we've encountered so far.

But yeah, as Druga pointed out the Old Testament is supposed to be the world of God as well. And I think it's silly when modern day Christians try to use it justify all sorts of crazy thinks. But yeah the parts I've found fascinating is that in the Old Testament, God seems to love those who lie, cheat, steal, and are all around not the nicest people there are. Of course anytime he speaks to them, things tend to go for the worse for a while, and he sure takes his sweet time getting around to fulfilling any promises he makes. Which is all contrary to modern day religion, where God only picks the most saintly, devote, and holy people, his promises are fulfilled immediately, and the people he chooses live a perfect and wonderful life from that point on. (Now whether or not the New Testament sets a precedent for this I don't know yet, but it is certainly the mind set of pretty much all the Christians I've ever met.)

Oh, and where does the Bible switch from it being ok to laugh at, and question God, to that being about one of the most heinous things you could do?

does the Bible switch with regards to that?

as for the Gods choices IIRC the 12 apostoles were all dodgy charachters ... the best from them was Judas :D

There's a reason Genesis doesn't match modern Christianity--because it's describing ancient judaism.

does new testament match modern Christianity, and if so in which details? I mean the God is still the same (as old testament), is the interpretation of his will supposed to be different now or what?

What my impression was that the new testament only tells you that the prophecyt has been fulfilled your sins have been paid for and all you need to do is to believe, salvation is now officially there for everyone, as for the charachter, God should still be the same dude as the one from Genesis (so are the things he values in people)...

Druga Runda said:
Killer-Kris said:
RussSchultz said:
Killer-Kris said:

as for the Gods choices IIRC the 12 apostoles were all dodgy charachters ... the best from them was Judas :D

Well I honestly don't know about how the Bible deals with those issues.

What I'm basing it on is modern day christian culture (which I guess defines what the religion is), my 8 years of sunday school in the Catholic church, and lastly just my experiences dealing with various clergy, family members, and other religious nuts. And at least from these experiences I was led to believe that if God spoke to you, told you he was going to do something for you, if you laughed at him and then questioned him about whether that's even possible, it was about the most horrendous thing you could do. And also judging from the classes reaction, I got the impression that was a fairly wide spread belief.

The same pattern follows for most all of the situations I listed that seem to be very different in the Old Testament and modern day beliefs. And if that's the case why do Christians even "believe in" the Old Testament anymore? With all honesty it should probably be removed from Christian Bible since it's no longer representative of what they for the most part think and believe.

Killer-Kris said:
Druga Runda said:
Killer-Kris said:
RussSchultz said:
Killer-Kris said:

Well I honestly don't know about how the Bible deals with those issues.

What I'm basing it on is modern day christian culture (which I guess defines what the religion is), my 8 years of sunday school in the Catholic church, and lastly just my experiences dealing with various clergy, family members, and other religious nuts. And at least from these experiences I was led to believe that if God spoke to you, told you he was going to do something for you, if you laughed at him and then questioned him about whether that's even possible, it was about the most horrendous thing you could do. And also judging from the classes reaction, I got the impression that was a fairly wide spread belief.

The same pattern follows for most all of the situations I listed that seem to be very different in the Old Testament and modern day beliefs. And if that's the case why do Christians even "believe in" the Old Testament anymore? With all honesty it should probably be removed from Christian Bible since it's no longer representative of what they for the most part think and believe.

well the whole point is that what the modern day people believe and think does not neccessarily need to be what was written, you have thousands of years of tradition that shaped the modern day Christian belief systems, and they do not really need to have too much in common with the Word of God. What was written is not really what drives religion forward, it is the current clergy and their interpretaions of it, like the whole "pro-life" thing doesn't really have nothing to do with the original Bible, except for the part "do not kill" which is clear but does not infer all other implications, while on the other hand things like

You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not murder,[a] and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brotherwill be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‘Raca,[c]’ is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

(from new testament)
are conveniently not on the forefront of public religiosity today, as they would be deemd to conservative as the religious people today would come close to taliban in trying to "enforce" that one. Unless you take a different apporach to religion which does not involve forcing someone to do what was written but letting people live their lives as they see fit, while just advising the ones who seek something better, on the way how to achieve it. IIRC Jesus did just that, he was teaching people who were willing to listen, he forced noone to do as he thought "was right".

As for the joke - well we have derailed a silly thread with a semi-serious topic, now that can't be a sin, or can it :eek:

Back