JPR Reports AMD Jumps 11% in GPU Shipments in Q2, Intel up 4%, Nvidia Slips >8%

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by gkar1, Aug 19, 2014.

1. gkar1

Regular

[​IMG]

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jpr-reports-amd-jumps-11-230100404.html

2. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

3. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Steam hardware survey distribution of discrete DX11 GPUs is heavily skewed in nVidia's favor. Could explain why they seem to be doing ok even though overall PC shipments are down.

I haven't looked at those numbers in a long time but I don't remember it ever being that one sided.

4. A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y

Veteran Regular

This. Also revenue share would also be interesting.

With Nvidia having a blow out quarter in earnings and AMD's cratering (and predicting even worse next quarter) AMD must have been giving away GPUs for next to nothing.

You can grow unit share if you dump product.

5. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

I think the GPU business of AMD was the only one that was somewhat decent.

6. A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y

Veteran Regular

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8270/amd-q2-2014-quarterly-earnings-analysis

GPU revenues and ASPs declined Q-to-Q and Y-to-Y.

7. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

Ok, clearly not as great as I remembered! :wink:

New chips can't come soon enough. And it remains to be see if they'll be able to compete against upcoming Maxwells. If gm107 is an indication, that may be a tall order.

8. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Well, Tonga is supposed to be released in a few days, so we should be able to answer that soon.

9. lanek

Veteran

For be honest, im a bit surprised to see this numbers for both AMD and Nvidia, taking in account they have not release anything really new since a while ( well the 750TI but otherwise it was a white calm ).

I will not use Tonga for compare to Maxwell... If it is really based on Hawaii, outside maybe some process optimisation, its like compare Maxwell to Kepler.

It look like Tonga should have been released in the R9 series following the 290-290x for middle range. I even ask me if they dont release it today just because they have use it for the Firepro W7100 using a particular IP just for 1 Firepro GPU, it will not be excellent money wise.

Maxwell benefit of the process amelioration but too of new architecture. ( and the 750TI is extremely simplified )

#9 lanek, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  10. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

I don't think anyone (who can talk about it publicly) really understands what AMD is doing. Tonga is supposed to be a Volcanic Islands chip, but apparently CodeXL generates different code for it, suggesting at least ISA changes. Volcanic Islands has been around since Bonaire came out in April 2013, which makes it somewhat old, therefore some changes do seem likely.

But then AMD is also expected to release Fiji next year, which is rumored to be a Pirate Islands GPU, but its name doesn't really support that. Then again, AMD's insular names don't always match the product family very well, and said product families are sometimes marketing constructs more than technical ones.

To sum up, this confuses the hell out of me, which just might be precisely AMD's goal.

11. lanek

Veteran

Yeah thats sure, im in the same case, with the 28>20nm process problem, i think plan have change ( again ). So i cant tell what is coming next.

But anyway, contrary at Maxwell, i dont think Tonga is a new architecture, so i see 2 solutions, a mix between Thaiti and Hawaii, or a refined Hawaii for middle range. But i dont think it is a good idea to try compare Tonga with Maxwell for got an idea of the performance / improvement of next generation.

The only thing i expect for this next 23th session is to have a roadmap for be honest. ( and it is maybe ask to much allready ) Like that we will at least now what is coming next.

12. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

Does it? Is it not just the same old 28nm?