HDTV sales up in Europe

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Or at least in the Netherlands. 900.000 HDtvs were sold last year, on a population of about 16.5 million. This was an increase of 70%, so the number of HDtvs out there is starting to become pretty significant. I don't know about other countries, but I suspect countries like the UK, Germany, Sweden and France won't be too far behind.

A few important things we have to keep in mind with HDTV sales:

1. They're dropping in price rapidly.
2. SKU saturation. One has to go out of their way to find a non HDTV thus chances are, if you're in the market for a new TV, an HDTV is pretty much your only option. The general consumer will walk into a store, look at the wall of TV's, pick one and there's a very high chance that this set will be HD.

unless the consumer is looking at CRT with sacrified prices :p. I walk into a store and see 21" well under 100 euros, chances are I'd look for a 27" CRT if I wanted to buy a TV.

I agree with the second point. You really have to search hard to find a normal electronicstore that still sells CRT tv's. I dont really agree on the price though. A couple of years back my parants bought a 63cm crt tv for something like 300 euro. Now try and find a decent size and quality lcd tv for 300 euro. Your looking at double that for a 26'' lcd tv and that is smaller than a 63cm tv I believe.

I agree with the second point. You really have to search hard to find a normal electronicstore that still sells CRT tv's. I dont really agree on the price though. A couple of years back my parants bought a 63cm crt tv for something like 300 euro. Now try and find a decent size and quality lcd tv for 300 euro. Your looking at double that for a 26'' lcd tv and that is smaller than a 63cm tv I believe.

Actually, 26" = ~66cm :D

But the 63cm CRT was likely 4:3 and so has a larger screen (1905cm^2) than a 66cm HDTV with 16:9 aspect ratio (1861cm^2)

Cheers

Which, in turn, is compensated by a much larger native resolution...
I also don't think a typical 63cm 4:3 CRT TV has progressive scan video output, like all LCD and Plasma TV's do.

Back