HDTV 720p vs 1080p (Questions about games)

From what I saw on the stores the best LCD is the Sony 2006/2007 line of HDTVs.
My guess a good Sony 26" s-series or v-series HDTV will do it.
But is better you test yourself before you buy. Dont trust my words, trust your eyes.

Friend of mine has a KDL 40V2000. It is a really good panel. Colour reproduction is pretty damn good, only deep reds are slightly off. Blacks are good, brightness is very good. He had a bunch of converted IMAX movies in 1920x1080 format, these all looked stunning.

But he doesn't game, and he doesn't watch sports at all. Seeing this panel is what made me order a Pioneer 507XD, because:
1. Blur is non-existant, and I game a lot and watch a lot of sports, ice hockey in particular can be PITA to watch on a LCD (where's the f*cking puck??).
2. The reduced resolution doesn't matter for me, because my viewing distance is well beyond the 3.5m (10") watershed mark for 1920x1080 for a 50" panel.
3. Contrast (blacks) and colours are still better on plasmas.

And the new Pioneers (7th gen) are lightweights compared to older plasmas (34Kg for a 50" plasma)

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Burn-in for Plasmas is hardly an issue any more. You still want to be mindful of it, but with "regular" usage, you shouldn't need to worry anymore.

I have heard of horror stories were users are playing many long hours of a game with hud that does not change muchs (oblivion, ect) and they have said that the hud bars got burned in but they played it a lot... Not sure I buy that much but...meh :)

Back