HDMI on X360 : yes or no?

Thats what I originally thought too, but the last I read about this issue, there were people suggesting that there was a chip inside the 360 that allowed for HDMI through the multiAV when a MS cable came out for it. I believe if you do some searching, there were multiple people who still visit regularly who believed this, and I think at some point Dave was suggesting this was a possibility too.

Ahh, you should have said that in your first post. Its still crazy, but at least makes sense.

You're making no sense at all. In order for a Xbox 360 to accept a HDMI cable then it'd need an HDMI jack. ...
Now, Microsoft in the future could add the jacks to new 360's, but then again I highly doubt that. There might be an HDMI jack on the HDDVD addon but no on the console.

Take that for what it's worth. But a reliable little birdy told me that they're already testing / debugging new X360 motherboards with a HDMI jack. It has only seen the motherboard so no news about the inclusion of a HD DVD drive.

Thats what I originally thought too, but the last I read about this issue, there were people suggesting that there was a chip inside the 360 that allowed for HDMI through the multiAV when a MS cable came out for it. I believe if you do some searching, there were multiple people who still visit regularly who believed this, and I think at some point Dave was suggesting this was a possibility too.

I read that as well (although mine was assuming the existing chip is designed for a potential firmware upgrade)

IMO it is a possibility that the answer to your question is yes, especially considering the surprise 1080p firmware upgrade we've alreay seen.

So, basically, there is still the possibility of MS releasing a HMDI cable for their console ? I'm just asking because in the GOW thread, someone complained that the screenshots I was criticizing came from "BS analogue" captures (along with various other excuses/reasons) and it just crossed my mind.

I hope this wasn't too hard to understand. Sorry for earlier engrish. Lets see you guys speak Japanese :devilish:

No it's not possible that the current revision of the 360 will have an HDMI output that doesn't also convert the analog signal back to digital. There's simply no digital video out on the AV Multi-out and that's not going to change without a hardware revision. Please use the search function, as this issue has been debated ad-nauseum.

only if you use the speakers built into the TV......people with HDTV's also have Home Theater systems and would rather not watch at all if they were forced to use the crappy TV speakers, at least thats what i feel, i have never used the speakers in my TV, not once, and have used multiple components with HDMI and Component, from digital cable STB's like the Motorola DCT 5412 III to Upconverting DVD players, and i can honestly say there is zero difference between HDMI and Component

Right, what you do is you run the HDMI cable to your HDMI-enabled receiver (as many on the market are these days) and then you run another HDMI cable from there to your TV (for video).

Whether I am right or wrong though, it has little to do with the question I asked in this thread.

So why did you bring it up?

The answer to your question is, not now, but probably in the near future, for whatever it matters. It is not required to get digital grabs which seems to be the root of your question.

As to what this thread is 'exploring' it's been explored half a dozen times already on this forum.

So why did you bring it up?

The answer to your question is, not now, but probably in the near future, for whatever it matters. It is not required to get digital grabs which seems to be the root of your question.

As to what this thread is 'exploring' it's been explored half a dozen times already on this forum.

I see nothing wrong with re-exploring or further exploring something to which some prominent members still have no concrete idea of yet as of the starting of the thread. Besides, the last time it was brought up was a long time ago.

I have still yet to see proof that current x360 do not have the ability to output HDMI. I was convinced it was not, but then reading these forums at one point I was convinced of the opposite. I have actually tried the search button, but to no avail.

Uhm sorry but that can't be right. How does the 360 output 5.1 surround sound then? It's from the optical out. Don't see why it should be 2 channel.

Ah, the original comment was talking about PCM. 5.1 through S/PDIF is achieved by DD or DTS compression.

As far as I know, the spdif of course can transfer standard DVD 5.1 (even 6.1 and 7.1) dolby digital or dts sound, but the bandwith of the optical cable is not enough for the next gen audio formats.
They'd need to be transferred via HDMI (or analog?)

Ah, the original comment was talking about PCM. 5.1 through S/PDIF is achieved by DD or DTS compression.

Mmm... When i feed 5.1 stuff to my amp, the thing says "PCM 48 (or 92 sometimes?) 5.1" whether it is from a DVD player, the PS2 or anything else i coudl think of.

As far as I know, the spdif of course can transfer standard DVD 5.1 (even 6.1 and 7.1) dolby digital or dts sound, but the bandwith of the optical cable is not enough for the next gen audio formats.

Next gen audio formats? Right, now there's something we really need.

Can you say Super Audio CD? ;)

Next gen audio formats? Right, now there's something we really need.

Can you say Super Audio CD? ;)
Well, I mean the Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD, that come on Blu-ray and HD-DVD movie discs.
You cannot hear them unless you connect with HDMI (to an amp that has decoding of these formats) or analog (you'll need an awful lot of cables and there is the possibility of quality loss due to unnecessary conversions from digital to analog)

I don't mind the lack of HDMI. My TV has only one HDMI input, and I use it for HDTV broadcasts.

My two components are for X360 and Wii.

Back