HDMI on X360 : yes or no?

i wonder if the OP is asking if the 360 could support HDMI spec if it had a HDMI jack?

dunno, broken engrish making it hard to understand....:?:

whats the use for HDMI anyways? other than complying with some crappy DRM, anyone with a HDTV will have a DSP sound system and will surely be using a dedicated optical or coax audio cable, making the audio part of HDMI useless, seeing as component is no worse than HDMI as far as video

i wonder if the OP is asking if the 360 could support HDMI spec if it had a HDMI jack?

dunno, broken engrish making it hard to understand....:?:

whats the use for HDMI anyways? other than complying with some crappy DRM, anyone with a HDTV will have a DSP sound system and will surely be using a dedicated optical or coax audio cable, making the audio part of HDMI useless, seeing as component is no worse than HDMI as far as video

Component is analog and thus lossy, though any current TV does a good enough job with it assuming the cables aren't complete crap.

Component is analog and thus lossy, though any current TV does a good enough job with it assuming the cables aren't complete crap.

maybe I haven't had enough first hand experience but the difference to me is minimal, especially when looking at SD video before hand, but a lot of people I talk to claim HDMI some vast superiority over VGA and component

I have had some of the same people tell me you can't get a real HD signal with an analog connection :LOL:

not saying it isn't better but not worth all the fuss

maybe I haven't had enough first hand experience but the difference to me is minimal, especially when looking at SD video before hand, but a lot of people I talk to claim HDMI some vast superiority over VGA and component

I have had some of the same people tell me you can't get a real HD signal with an analog connection :LOL:

It's a mind state thing. Newer = better in most people's eyes. The vast majority of people will never be able to tell the difference between HDMI and Component when it comes to video. Being able to have video and audio in one cable is a nice plus though ;)

It's a mind state thing. Newer = better in most people's eyes. The vast majority of people will never be able to tell the difference between HDMI and Component when it comes to video. Being able to have video and audio in one cable is a nice plus though ;)

only if you use the speakers built into the TV......people with HDTV's also have Home Theater systems and would rather not watch at all if they were forced to use the crappy TV speakers, at least thats what i feel, i have never used the speakers in my TV, not once, and have used multiple components with HDMI and Component, from digital cable STB's like the Motorola DCT 5412 III to Upconverting DVD players, and i can honestly say there is zero difference between HDMI and Component

alot of it has to do with the source too....for instance, Comcast compresses their signal, even on their HD content channels to the point that no matter what you do, you will get artifacting or macroblocking, hopefully HDDVD and Bluray will allow us to see a difference between HDMI and Component, although i really doubt it, other than the unsupported DRM features.....then again, HDDVD is looking better as time goes on because of the slackened DRM over Component (ie Xbox 360 HDDVD drive)

The difference between HDMI and Component is basically the same as DVI-D to VGA.

Hands up how many of you are still using VGA on your PC's ?

There is a difference, mainly in clarity but not a huge deal either way, and the casual sure as hell ain't guna see the difference.

So, basically, there is still the possibility of MS releasing a HMDI cable for their console ? I'm just asking because in the GOW thread, someone complained that the screenshots I was criticizing came from "BS analogue" captures (along with various other excuses/reasons) and it just crossed my mind.

I hope this wasn't too hard to understand. Sorry for earlier engrish. Lets see you guys speak Japanese :devilish:

So, basically, there is still the possibility of MS releasing a HMDI cable for their console ? I'm just asking because in the GOW thread, someone complained that the screenshots I was criticizing came from "BS analogue" captures (along with various other excuses/reasons) and it just crossed my mind.

I hope this wasn't too hard to understand. Sorry for earlier engrish. Lets see you guys speak Japanese :devilish:

HDMI output has nothing to do with the ability to capture didigtal frame buffer grabs which many people can do already. And yes, the screens you posted are clearly analogue captures with very poor quality detail, I posted some direct capture 720p grabs to illustrate to you the difference, and surprisingly enough you didn't even comment on them.

Um ok..

PS3 yasuku shite moraemasen ka ? :p

Like I said, it's better only if crappy cabling is used for the component (or vga) cables. Microsoft's cables are most likely good enough, though it's a piece of mind thing.
Not to mention that something else may already be taking up the component inputs on a TV. Sure, you can use a splitter, but splitters do noticeably reduce image quality, generally more so than even cheap cabling.
Of course, I would never go back to VGA again after using DVI. More of a convenience thing though, it's nice not having to adjust any settings. DVI does look better than component for digital displays though, but it's really dependent on the quality of the circuitry. Even still, it may not be noticeable at the distances people watch TV from. Also, I was able to use a signal booster to boost the VGA signal strength of my VGA connection from my laptop so that it's about on par with DVI. (not a really a signal booster, but it's a powered KVM switch which has the side effect of boosting the signal, it's definitely better than just the straight VGA signal alone was, even though I have nothing else hooked into the switch)

HDMI output has nothing to do with the ability to capture didigtal frame buffer grabs which many people can do already. And yes, the screens you posted are clearly analogue captures with very poor quality detail, I posted some direct capture 720p grabs to illustrate to you the difference, and surprisingly enough you didn't even comment on them.

I did comment on them when I said they were official release screens that showed the wall from further away. Though they are analogue captures, there are others who agreed that that does not excuse the poor texture quality of presented. Several people have said this, including Laa-yosh.

I was thinking perhaps if it was HDMI output, it would be digital capture and hence increase the quality over analogue. Even in the recent screen captures of Motorstorm and various other PS3 games at IGN, I 've noticed that the quality isn't very high, and I was thinking it was because of analogue capture. Whether I am right or wrong though, it has little to do with the question I asked in this thread.

PS3 yasuku shite moraemasen ka ?

まだソニーに働いてないんですけど。:LOL: You are pretty good in your Japanese !

i think the likelyhood of a 360 with HDMI and HDDVD drive built into the system is likely in the future, but then again, it may not happen, since they aren't necessary, HDMI as many have said is more hype than anything else, it's being pushed mainly by the people who want DRM methods to be fully adopted

i think the likelyhood of a 360 with HDMI and HDDVD drive built into the system is likely in the future, but then again, it may not happen, since they aren't necessary, HDMI as many have said is more hype than anything else, it's being pushed mainly by the people who want DRM methods to be fully adopted

The thing is, there is the possibility of current 360s being able to accept a HDMI cable, which is what this thread is exploring.

The thing is, there is the possibility of current 360s being able to accept a HDMI cable, which is what this thread is exploring.

You're making no sense at all. In order for a Xbox 360 to accept a HDMI cable then it'd need an HDMI jack. Unless Microsoft plans on having technicians coming to each persons home and soldering on such a component (read: impossible) then no, current 360's will not be able to use HDMI. Now, Microsoft in the future could add the jacks to new 360's, but then again I highly doubt that. There might be an HDMI jack on the HDDVD addon but no on the console.

There's no point for it on the console. HDMI offers nothing but the addition of DRM.

You're making no sense at all. In order for a Xbox 360 to accept a HDMI cable then it'd need an HDMI jack. Unless Microsoft plans on having technicians coming to each persons home and soldering on such a component (read: impossible) then no, current 360's will not be able to use HDMI. Now, Microsoft in the future could add the jacks to new 360's, but then again I highly doubt that. There might be an HDMI jack on the HDDVD addon but no on the console.

Thats what I originally thought too, but the last I read about this issue, there were people suggesting that there was a chip inside the 360 that allowed for HDMI through the multiAV when a MS cable came out for it. I believe if you do some searching, there were multiple people who still visit regularly who believed this, and I think at some point Dave was suggesting this was a possibility too.

Thats what I originally thought too, but the last I read about this issue, there were people suggesting that there was a chip inside the 360 that allowed for HDMI through the multiAV when a MS cable came out for it. I believe if you do some searching, there were multiple people who still visit regularly who believed this, and I think at some point Dave was suggesting this was a possibility too.

ok, now i understand, yes, that is definately a possibility and would make perfect sense, so they could add one to a new revision of the 360 later without a major hardware change, so the answer is, i dont know if it's in there already, i doubt anybody here does either, but i guess we are all trying to figure out why the existence of it internally is so important, since it's actual implementation would not be any real benefit to the console other than to say "yeah, we got it too"

and sorry about the engrish comment earlier, didnt mean to offend, i seriously had no idea you were Japanese

Back