Hdd Partitioning

Davros

Legend
I bought a drive a wanted to split into 3 so i created a primary partition, then in the free space created an extended partition and created 2 logical drives in the extended partition. Thats how I was taught to do it years ago.
But had I followed the prompts that windows displayed I would of created 3 primary drives
Is there any disadvantages to the way ive done it (aprt from not being able to boot from a logical drive) ?

From the help file

Primary partition
A type of partition that you can create on basic disks. A primary partition is a portion of a physical disk that functions as though it were a physically separate disk. On basic master boot record (MBR) disks, you can create up to four primary partitions on a basic disk, or three primary partitions and an extended partition with multiple logical drives. On basic GPT disks, you can create up to 128 primary partitions. Primary partitions are also known as volumes.

Extended partition
A type of partition that you can create only on basic master boot record (MBR) disks. Extended partitions are useful if you want to create more than four volumes on a basic MBR disk. Unlike primary partitions, you do not format an extended partition with a file system and then assign a drive letter to it. Instead, you create one or more logical drives within the extended partition. After you create a logical drive, you format it and assign it a drive letter. An MBR disk can have up to four primary partitions, or three primary partitions, one extended partition, and multiple logical drives.

Back