Hdd advice

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
I'm looking to buy a hardrive thats between 500 and 750 gigs big. I want the fastest I can buy . Any advice on that ? I'd like to keep it under $150 though if thats possible. Of course it will be an sata drive. I already have a 500 gig hadrive though its a bit slow as its almost 2 years old

This review @ Tech Report has performance data for both drives across a wide variety of synthetic apps, and a few real-world tests as well. In most situations, the WD drive outperforms the Hitachi. However, the Hitachi does enjoy an advantage during level loading in games. If you don't have any brand loyalty here, you probably won't feel bad about going with the Hitachi. If it were me, I'd get the WD though. Shaving a second or two off level loads isn't as important as shaving minutes off large file copies. The WD drive has some of the best file copy performance ever seen from a magnetic disk targeted at the consumer space.

thanks for the link , it has my drive on there also. The barracuda 7200.10.

Looks like i will buy the drive tommorow

It seems NewEgg raised their prices. Directron has the WD 640G drive for $99.

I'm rocking the 640GB right now. It is lovely. Very quiet, hilariously speedy. I should time Ubuntu bootup for a laugh...

Back