HD DVD Xbox 360 add-on demo

Powderkeg said:
And Mitsubishi, Kenwood, and Hitachi.

http://www.blu-ray.com/players/

You are mistaken, Mitsubishi and Hitachi belong to the Bluray consortium, so they won't be producing a HD-DVD player unless it is a dual format Bluray/HD-DVD player. However their media manufacture Hitachi-Maxell and Mitsubishi-Verbatim divisions are part of the HD-DVD consortium and produce media for both HD-DVD and Bluray formats.

Bluray player manufacturers: Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Yamaha, Zenith, BenQ, HP

HD-DVD player manufacturers: Toshiba, NEC, Sanyo

Memory Tech is also listed under HD-DVD, but I think Memory tech is a media manufacturer, not a player manufacturer.

HP is also listed under HD-DVD, but only as a general member, so I think that is their PC division ensuring that their PCs are compatible with both formats. HP is listed as a Bluray player manufacturer, and has been pushing Bluray harder than HD-DVD.

Ricoh and TEAC are PC drive OEM manufacturers not CE player manufacturers (TEAC also does media), and PCs aren't going to lead the charge for devices in your living room connected to a large screen HDTV for playing movies on.

Toshiba is the only major CE company backing HD-DVD - NEC and Sanyo are big in household appliances not CE devices. Kenwood is the only other manufacturer on the HD-DVD list. Kenwood is a two bit player with poor brand recognition and a reputation for cheap low quality goods. Most people would be happy to buy a $25 electric kettle or a $50 portable CRT SDTV from Kenwood, but would baulk at buying a Kenwood branded $950 HDTV or $750 HD format player.

Last edited by a moderator:
quest55720 said:
Why would a parent spend up to 10 dollars more buy a movie that can only be played on the kids toy. I think the ps3 will hooked up to the secondary TV that is going to be SDTV more than many are ready to admit. ... Why would a parent spend more on blue ray movies if they have to unhook the PS3 move it to the living room watch the movie move it back were the kids play games.

On the point that PS3 will be a kids toy and parents won't buy BR discs for the kids toy... blah blah....

Especially in the first year of the consoles life, it will not be a kids toy. And I can't believe that gamers themselves are perpetuating the myth that console gaming is for kids.

If there is anything Sony has come across strong on is that this is not the kids toy (via the price, feature set, types of games they are pushing). They have created and are marketing an entertainment device for adults. Sony knows their demographic, and they are targeting it appropriately.

It is working age adults who already spending a lot of money on electroinc entertaiment who make Sony see green. These are the people who will gobble up the majority of the first 6 million consoles.

If only one good thing good comes out of the huge disparity between what Nintendo is doing and what Sony and MS are doing with their console - I hope that it is this. That Playstation or Xbox gaming will finally be able to shake the image of being something that exist only to be a diversion for children.

quest55720 said:
Why would a parent spend up to 10 dollars more buy a movie that can only be played on the kids toy..

:LOL:

Studios are moving to VC1 on Blu-ray when the tools are ready (next Warner batch should be VC1), except maybe Sony who does not want to pay fees to MS. But Sony will surely move to H.264.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kewl that they are releasing add-ons to cater to tech enthusiasts and consumers who already own 360s to enjoy HD movies.
My only concern is that all of these add-ons...
would start to clutter the gaming space...

Back