HBO producing A Song of Ice and Fire

Some of the casting is good, some not so much. Also don't like some of the dialogue I heard in that video, some lines are very out of character (such as Robert firmly stating that a war is coming).

It is awesome. The HBO show and the book and I am happy. :)

I can't watch that. Seen too many teasers, gotta keep it at arm's length until it comes.

This might motivate me to finish reading the first goddamned book. What is it about having two R's in your initials that tends to make you such a wordy-arsed bastard?! Just get to the point dammit, before I run out of battery!!

This might motivate me to finish reading the first goddamned book. What is it about having two R's in your initials that tends to make you such a wordy-arsed bastard?! Just get to the point dammit, before I run out of battery!!
The first three books had a breakneck pace, IMHO. I found them very engrossing.

I wasn't a huge fan of them and found them as unrealistic in some ways as the classic hero is perfect and always wins sort. I don't think a complex character suddenly becomes more believable than another more simple character just b/c of complexity. I did like them to some extent, but not enough to keep at them.

The first three books had a breakneck pace, IMHO. I found them very engrossing.

They are engrossing in places. Nevertheless they are 700-900 pages long. Each. That's not counting part 3 which is ~1400 pages long and hence has to be split into two volumes in order to fit on the bookshelf of an average European country.

Maybe the entertainment density increases after the first 700 pages, once he gets into his stride. Truth is though that many world-famous authors' entire career output sums up to less that GRRM clearing his literary throat.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/05/thrones-author-lost/

http://themarkberman.com/2011/04/06/new-cultural-idioms-do-a-lost/

http://io9.com/#!5788838/george-rr-martin-talks-about-world+building-tinkering-and-the-ending-of-lost

George doesn't want to "do a LOST" by ending A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones "shittily." Damon Lindelof blows a fuse. George is right, Damon either is supremely tongue in cheek or a douche (on twitter) .

Edit: okay, Damon is doing the funny schtick on twitter, but the interview on insidetv.ew.com is much more reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the sneak peak and got my hopes up even more for this series.. I liked the beginning in the book better due to it being more mysterious when Will had found the wildlings, and Royce's fight with the Other though

Haven't even begun on Feast for Crows...Probably should now that the new book is coming, but I just can't find the interest reading about Cersei and other new characters

I don't understand how anyone even remotely interested in fantasy could dislike these books, but I've seen friends stall out in the middle of the third book (which, to me, is probably the single best fantasy novel written in my lifetime). Anyways, the preview and making of specials look good. Lots of fanboy hand-wringing over the changes, and while I wish we would've seen a wight'd Ser Waymar grabbing Will's throat, or even the Others moving gracefully, mocking Waymar's brief defense, I've read the original shooting of the prologue was more faithful to the book. Regardless, I like 95% of what I saw. Full reviews are due next week and are rumored to be quite positive. Now if GRRM would just announce the 5th book is finished. . . .

I don't understand how anyone even remotely interested in fantasy could dislike these books, but I've seen friends stall out in the middle of the third book (which, to me, is probably the single best fantasy novel written in my lifetime). Anyways, the preview and making of specials look good. Lots of fanboy hand-wringing over the changes, and while I wish we would've seen a wight'd Ser Waymar grabbing Will's throat, or even the Others moving gracefully, mocking Waymar's brief defense, I've read the original shooting of the prologue was more faithful to the book. Regardless, I like 95% of what I saw. Full reviews are due next week and are rumored to be quite positive. Now if GRRM would just announce the 5th book is finished. . . .

Alright, I'm not watching the first 14 minutes, but if you're is 95% pleased than I'm hopeful. I was a little disheartened after your last comment in this thread, about Robert saying, "war is coming," because you were right. It's been a while, but my recollection of Robert coming North was that he wanted Ned to come down and party with him, get drunk and kill shit. And perhaps an undertone of distrust in the court, but nothing overt like that. AFAIR Robert is pretty much a drunk who's averse/oblivious to the politics and machinations around him, and has no idea how to run the realm, and doesn't really care.

As far as Dance with Dragons, I expect he'll fulfill the date on his website. They've clearly already done cover plates, doubt his editor would let the publisher get that far along without a reasonable expectation of a book. I just wish they would do some kind of Feast for Crows/Dance with Dragons mix-up edition, because they were meant to be one book, and the pacing in FfC is way off.

Back