Halo: Reach

I expect some spectacle from this game that's going to sell it. Everyone assumes that Bungie will just do some small tweaks to their existing stuff and is not capable of wowing the audience the way other studios can...

I don't think 'wowing' folks has that much of an influence. Otherwise Sony would be doing better with its exclusives. Microsoft will probably go completely crazy with Halo: Reach, I imagine we'll see more Mountain Dew tie-ins, maybe even Burger King promotions.

On the other hand, there was a remark by... Greenberg, maybe, recently, about how hardcore games don't need much advertising to be sold, so maybe they won't go as insane as they did for Halo 3. (I also wonder how much fanfare they'll be drumming up for Natal, which will be coming soon after.)

I don't think 'wowing' folks has that much of an influence. Otherwise Sony would be doing better with its exclusives. Microsoft will probably go completely crazy with Halo: Reach, I imagine we'll see more Mountain Dew tie-ins, maybe even Burger King promotions.

On the other hand, there was a remark by... Greenberg, maybe, recently, about how hardcore games don't need much advertising to be sold, so maybe they won't go as insane as they did for Halo 3. (I also wonder how much fanfare they'll be drumming up for Natal, which will be coming soon after.)
The same Greenberg has said that Reach will be the biggest game of 2010 so.....The thing is, this IS the next big halo, bungie is doing a multiplayer beta, so it is not just some tweaking to the formula.
I have no doubt that it will be the biggest game of 2010.
Master chief or not, I don't really think that the halo fanbase or the casual player is as clueless as we think they are.
For example, Halo wars did about 1.6 million, ODST is at 3.9 million. The gamers who bought MW2 did not buy it because of captain price, but because it is the next big COD from Infinity ward.
That's why the CODs from treyarch can never reach the sales of the CODs from infinity ward.
Bottom line is, Reach is going to sell gangbusters.

Great. What does that have to do with the media push I brought up? Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

Who exactly are you talking to, who's saying that Reach won't sell very well?

Great. What does that have to do with the media push I brought up? Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

Who exactly are you talking to, who's saying that Reach won't sell very well?
My first sentence was in reply to your second sentence.;)
The rest are my own musing, it has nothing to do with you. So rest easy.

The same Greenberg has said that Reach will be the biggest game of 2010 so.....The thing is, this IS the next big halo, bungie is doing a multiplayer beta, so it is not just some tweaking to the formula.
I have no doubt that it will be the biggest game of 2010.
Master chief or not, I don't really think that the halo fanbase or the casual player is as clueless as we think they are.
For example, Halo wars did about 1.6 million, ODST is at 3.9 million. The gamers who bought MW2 did not buy it because of captain price, but because it is the next big COD from Infinity ward.
That's why the CODs from treyarch can never reach the sales of the CODs from infinity ward.
Bottom line is, Reach is going to sell gangbusters.

It has strong competition though. There is final fantasy (multiplat and has already sold over 1 million, tho its hard to tell if it will be considered a 2010 or 2009 game. should have waited till Jan for release i think, but they caught the holidays even if a little late), God of war 3 (ps3 games don't sell on hype so I doubt this really but still big), Medal of honour (multiplat) and mass effect 2 (which wont appeal to too nany halo/gears fans I think) in the same time frame. It IS the next big halo like u said though and the rabid 360 owners will eat it up before the first reviews come out. Of course there will be a new cod game next year :rolleyes: to add to the competition

It has strong competition though. There is final fantasy (multiplat and has already sold over 1 million, tho its hard to tell if it will be considered a 2010 or 2009 game. should have waited till Jan for release i think, but they caught the holidays even if a little late), God of war 3 (ps3 games don't sell on hype so I doubt this really but still big), Medal of honour (multiplat) and mass effect 2 (which wont appeal to too nany halo/gears fans I think) in the same time frame. It IS the next big halo like u said though and the rabid 360 owners will eat it up before the first reviews come out. Of course there will be a new cod game next year :rolleyes: to add to the competition
God of War 3....really, of all the games you named, GOW3 is not going to sell half of what Reach will sell.
FFXIII combined, maybe.
MOH it is an unknown quantity for now.
Mass effect 2, ehh no.
COD, unless it is from infinity ward then i don't see it happening.
Anyway, they are all an unknown quantity at this point but let's be realistic.

Isnt that sad though? This is why i hate talking about sales, there is something really retarded that determines now well a game sells besides how good it is.

World at War's first month nearly matched MW's first month, and this in a much stronger november, since Gears of War had been released.

And since it's not like Activision brands the Treyarch games 'the less-regarded sequel to to the games you love'. I can see whatever Treyarch's next CoD is doing ridiculous numbers too, though possibly less than MW2 (ATVI doesn't market them as hard, it seems). MW2 might have better legs, but we're talking about the first NPD, before word of mouth can properly spread.

World at War's first month nearly matched MW's first month, and this in a much stronger november, since Gears of War had been released.

And since it's not like Activision brands the Treyarch games 'the less-regarded sequel to to the games you love'. I can see whatever Treyarch's next CoD is doing ridiculous numbers too, though possibly less than MW2 (ATVI doesn't market them as hard, it seems). MW2 might have better legs, but we're talking about the first NPD, before word of mouth can properly spread.
Yeah, it's possible. I see your point.

I think Treyarch's last CoD did less than MW (first one) mostly due to the fact it was set in WWII (a bit of WWII fatigue in gamers) versus an all new setting in Modern Day. Although I'm sure there were a few hundred maybe even a thousand CoD fans that didn't get it purely because they knew Treyarch was doing it.

Anyway that said. Don't think anything announced so far for 2010 will be much competition for Reach. Whether Reach will outdo MW2's initial month (X360 only) is about the biggest question we'll have going into holiday 2010, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Anyway that said. Don't think anything announced so far for 2010 will be much competition for Reach. Whether Reach will outdo MW2's initial month (X360 only) is about the biggest question we'll have going into holiday 2010, IMO.

Regards,
SB

:cry: Its going to be mw2 rubbish all over again. I understand the love but i got bored with that game in 15mins, and right now I think bungie will probably stick to the halo formula of old... which is old. Ghost recon style Halo would be great :oops:

we've already seen an RTS version of the franchise made, it's was a pretty interesting approach but i don't know if changing halo's style and mechanics would satisfy many gamers.

Ive seen many companies head in new directions and all Ive been hearing from their fanbase is how they miss the old ways compared to these new branching directions.

the only thing for me that i want in this new Halo reach game is a switchable 3rd person view option, a longer single player campaign mode, better graphics in full 720p, new weapons, better editing for replays in the single player mode, and maybe a hored mode like what gears of war 2 has.

that horde mode will most likely make it, UNLESS some genius decides to withhold and release an "ODST" to Reach or put it as DLC for a future release.

3rd person view? weird to want that. How about destructible environments?

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd person view? weird to want that. How about destructible environments?

both. :smile2:

Ive been use to UT3's switchable option, i like switching back and forth between the two.

when you're carrying really heavy weapons in halo3 it switches to 3rd person anyway doesn't?

so why not have it as an option for those who like the view.;)

i know people who like the art direction and story of the franchise but at the same time would like to play it in a different perspective.

kojima got the same reactions when metal gear solid 2 and 3 was made, now it's got a first person view option.

Last edited by a moderator:
After having played the realtime 'beach'-landing level from KZ2 yesterday, I watched the Halo: Reach trailer again today.

The game should be perfectly possible, if you take away the AA and some texture filtering;
I realized it doesn't do anything not possible outside of 'previous generation graphics'.

Saying Halo Reach would be the best looking xbox 360 game, would be kind of an insult to other xbox titles, should the game get graphics same as, or below the trailer.

After having played the realtime 'beach'-landing level from KZ2 yesterday, I watched the Halo: Reach trailer again today.

The game should be perfectly possible, if you take away the AA and some texture filtering;
I realized it doesn't do anything not possible outside of 'previous generation graphics'.

Saying Halo Reach would be the best looking xbox 360 game, would be kind of an insult to other xbox titles, should the game get graphics same as, or below the trailer.
I am just curious, which xbox360 game do you consider better looking than the trailer?

I don't think anyone is doubting the possibility of the graphics here, take away the 16xAA and we're left with an in engine cutscene that's not overwhelmingly impressive technically, at least in 2010. If Bungie's trackrecord is squeaky clean then I doubt everyone would be so worked up with this trailer. I most certainly do not doubt their ability to produce a visual showpiece but I wouldn't celebrate till the fat lady sings.

Back