Halo day! (Halo 3 new pic, open beta and teaser info)

HUGE PICTURE!

I'm guessing the reason they didn't release it now mostly has to do with that they don't want people to play the demo instead of buying the games coming out in the next fewe months.

Two good ways to get some of those Halo 2 players to move on to the 360: For those that feel the MP is good enough, exclusive new maps. For those that are ready to move on, an exclusive MP beta test of the next installment (and hey, it costs you some money to beta test it? Cha-ching baby!). That'll get a few to jump to 360. And then, hey, they already dished out several hundred for that, why not pick up that awesome $60 title that they didn't consider before because of the $3-400 barrier to entry?

Several things I don't like about that shot, though there is one improvement with the Chief: he looks to be the right shade of green this time. Maybe it's just a bad angle, or perhaps just bad eyes, I dunno. :smile: (Edit insert: looking at old pictures, it seems that it may just be the difference of a different lighting area (factory spotlight versus sunny outside), and a less flattering camera angle. Also looks like the chief's potch marks in the armor have been coated with paint... otherwise Bungie decided that the armor was in fact green all the way through, haha. Everything in the background looks a little flat, though. Whatever the cause may be. Nice textures, but very much flat.)

Little bummed that the 60-sec teaser is going to be a CG 60-sec teaser, but at least they're being upfront about it. Of course they'd have to, they'd probably be called on it all too quickly otherwise. Suppose it's good that the actual game will be slightly more of a surprise, in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
CG teaser. Worthless.

Not sure I like the beta test idea either. Dont like "spoiling" the game, even a little bit (aka the feel, the look of the graphics, etc) but damn sure I will play it.

I get the feeling Halo 3 is pretty far along. Bungie must have a really big team, so it's going fast so they're ahead of schedule.

Not sure why Bungie published that picture knowing they're going to be ripped for the crap fingers alone...and it's not even a gameplay picture either, so it loses on all counts.
________
Latinmelisax live

HHmm this looks...asstastic ? What the hell? Halo2 Vista ?

Yeah that's what it looks like. I thought the same thing. they wouldn't be showing any halo 3 pictures yet.

Judging by the the visible poly count on that model, that is certainly the halo 2 Master chief model.

Edit, I guess I'm wrong :(

It's just the character model and some wall, you can hardly draw conclusions on how the game will look based on that.
If that's one of the tens (hundreds?) of ingame models on screen at the same time, it's impressive enough, though the lighting looks a bit worse than in the first "in game engine" Halo 3 pics that came during E3, might be because this new pic is set inside and lit by some more intense spotlight or such, compared to the outdoors setting of the first trailer.
It looks very much the same modela as in that trailer, the lighting makes it look a bit worse though.

Smaller screenshot looks better because the over-done bump maps dissappear.

halo3screenshottysm.jpg

New Halo 3 screenshot:
Tick
Old Halo 3 screenshot (announce):
Tock
Halo 2 Vista:
Tick
Tock
Halo 2 (looking for closest pose, somewhat close to final game in a hurried manner):
Boom

Looks like the Halo 3 model to me (see hand guards). Either people remember Halo 2 looking much better, or they were expecting Halo 3 to look like the second coming of Jesus himself. That shot still looks craptastic, of course, so don't let my words fool anyone there.

This screenshot was probably taken by somebody taking the game, playing it, quickly putting him in front of a wall, and sloppily pulling out to a debug camera and grabbing the framebuffer. Makes sense, because going by the wording it seems like something the PR team wanted Bungie to give them rather than a screenshot Bungie felt like releasing itself.

Take it as you will, but Luke Smith (Halo fanatic) said he saw the 30-sec single player clip from a couple weeks ago (that nobody got to take footage of), and he stated that "it will make you say 'gears of huh?'"

(but still, what I'm looking at makes me say "Hal-a-what?" instead)

Take it as you will, but Luke Smith (Halo fanatic) said he saw the 30-sec single player clip from a couple weeks ago (that nobody got to take footage of), and he stated that "it will make you say 'gears of huh?'"

I sure hope so. They have a new engine build especially for this system. And it will be one year later.

Easiest way to tell the difference between Halo 3 and Halo 2 Mark VI armour is by looking at the gloves. :p

That pic doesn't look so awesome in the background. They need to get some bumpy screws or something. Even the Assault rifle looks the same as in Halo: CE. So...pretty much agree with some of the other folks here with flat lighting (beyond the MC, clearly).

What's not to love about next-gen rusty beams and pipes?

Frankie... I don't know how else to say this: You're Fired.

Back