Halo 3 Registers Biggest Day in US Entertainment History with $170 Million in Sales

Halo 3 takes UK by storm

It seems that it spurred some hardware sales as well:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7349&Itemid=2

According to ChartTrack, Halo 3 was bought by one in three UK Xbox 360 owners in its first week on sale. The title more than doubled weekly sales of Xbox 360 hardware to the highest weekly level during 2007, beating Nintendo's Wii for the first time in months.

Halo 3 sales accounted for 68 percent of all Xbox 360 software sales over the past week, and helped to catapult Microsoft’s next-gen format to its highest sales week ever in the UK. The title has become the second fastest selling game ever in the UK behind Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

The NPD results for last month include the last week, correct :?: I can't wait to see it. :cool:

I do not think MS knows exactly what they sell anymore than NPD..MS only knows exactly how many they ship, say, to Wal Mart. I dont think Wal Mart then reports back to MS exactly how much they sold in any given time frame. Same for other retailers, especially when you get down to the myriad small ones..

I doubt stores are in the business of giving away their sales totals to all companies who's products they carry, as a practical matter if nothing else. That is why MS and Sony comment on the NPD's each month. And I assume they also pay the tens of thousands for full NPD subscriptions..

Now, Sony recently qouted a 100% sales increase at the 5 largest retailers..the corps probably have some visibilty to the largest chains..those largest chains also control most of the video game market..Wal Mart, Target, Gamestop, and Best Buy are a very high percent of the total..

Agree. I doubt very seriously that MS continually gets on the horn and track POS figures for all their customers. In all practicality, they tracks demand based on shipments.

However, MS is paid by the retailers and not consumers so they sales figures aren't based on POS, which is what NPD tracks.

I bet that NPD figures won't show a figure close to the $170 million figure, just based off the fact that there is probably plenty of Halo3 software still sitting on store shelves or warehouses, but nevertheless MS has already received their payments on those units of software.

I bet that NPD figures won't show a figure close to the $170 million figure, just based off the fact that there is probably plenty of Halo3 software still sitting on store shelves or warehouses, but nevertheless MS has already received their payments on those units of software.

They apparently shipped over 4million copies of halo 3, if they sold 3 million, that would still leave over 1million left on the shelves.

Did all 4 million go into the US market?

No, but what does that matter? I'm sure the lions share of them did. The EB here sold something like 400 copies at launch and still has ~20 on the shelves. That's about 5% remaining in stock, they could have sold 3 million and still have 10% of the shipped units on shelves, with nearly 1 million units left for other markets.

I don't think the 170$ has nothing to do with shipped numbers, but actual sold numbers. If the average retail price for Halo 3 was 75$ then it would have needed to sell 2.26 million copies to achieve 170Mil $. Do you guys think that didn't happen? MS had about a week to get to that number...

I think the 170 Mil will be broken and the 75$ is very conservative, atleast I'm under the impresion that there were quite many legendary editions available.

No, but what does that matter? I'm sure the lions share of them did. The EB here sold something like 400 copies at launch and still has ~20 on the shelves. That's about 5% remaining in stock, they could have sold 3 million and still have 10% of the shipped units on shelves, with nearly 1 million units left for other markets.

Oops, this discussion is meaningless now that I look at it as NPD monthly numbers gives you no idea how MS did during a 24 hour period in terms of POS.

There's some news on Halo 3 sales in the UK:

With the UK Xbox 360 installed base at 1.4 millon in the UK, estimates suggest that the Bungie-developed game shifted more than 466,000 copies in the UK alone in its first four days on sale. That figure is dwarfed only by Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, which shifted an incredible 677,000 copies in two days when it was released on PS2 back in October 2004 - but, then again, the PS2 installed base in the UK at the time was some 6.4 million according to Chart-Track.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article_discussion.php?article_id=84445

I think the 170 Mil will be broken and the 75$ is very conservative, atleast I'm under the impresion that there were quite many legendary editions available.

I haven't seen anyone post up their numbered edition anywhere else yet, but my buddy got the Legendary Edition day 1 and his was 415410.

Take that as you wish. 500k seems like a reasonable amount? I would be curious to hear what others numbers were? (Maybe that needs its own thread)

Needless to say, at $129 a clip, that easily drives up the $$ amount of average sale.

I'm sure if the likes of GTA ect had cost nearly $80 they would have brought in even more then this.. So basically MS have broken the record for high game prices, well done to them.

I'm sure if the likes of GTA ect had cost nearly $80 they would have brought in even more then this.. So basically MS have broken the record for high game prices, well done to them.

What is this based on? I picked up Halo for $75AUD on day one, where most games launch for $110-$120. Was the RRP higher where you were?

Or are you basing your comment on the special editions? If so, I feel sorry for all those who were forced to purchase the most expensive version for a bonus DVD and cat helmet.

Or are you basing your comment on the special editions? If so, I feel sorry for all those who were forced to purchase the most expensive version for a bonus DVD and cat helmet.

I don't think anybody was forced to buy anything. I think there were plenty of normal versions available everywhere. Some people just wan't to spend little more to get little more, nothing wrong with that imo. I bought the normal version though as the difference between normal and limited was 30€ and there was also the problem of scratched discs with the limited edition.

I don't think anybody was forced to buy anything. I think there were plenty of normal versions available everywhere. Some people just wan't to spend little more to get little more, nothing wrong with that imo. I bought the normal version though as the difference between normal and limited was 30€ and there was also the problem of scratched discs with the limited edition.

I agree completely... I was being sarcastic after getting frustrated of repeatedly seeing comments like those I quoted.

Cheers

Back