Halo 3 Registers Biggest Day in US Entertainment History with $170 Million in Sales

Not really. these companies are in it to make money, not sell units. Given a choice between making $30 million in many Harry Potter sales, or $170 million in less game sales, pretty much every company out there would choose the latter.

Actually shifty, since companies choose projects after deflating the project value for risk, im sure a lot of the companies would have gone for the Book. You have virtually no expenses for the book, wheras a halo 3 game costs $50 million to make. Now discount future project cash flow on WACC, and it doesn't look all that good compared to a book.

Actually shifty, since companies choose projects after deflating the project value for risk, im sure a lot of the companies would have gone for the Book. You have virtually no expenses for the book, wheras a halo 3 game costs $50 million to make. Now discount future project cash flow on WACC, and it doesn't look all that good compared to a book.

Virtually none for the book? I'm sure rowling doesn't need the money, but I'm betting she's getting paid and probably a higher percentage of the profits than bungie.

What ever unit you use is dependent on what you trying to measure.
ill say its more likely ppl choose the unit depending on want give the most favourable result depending o their POV :]

does this $170million include halo3 xb360s at ~$400 a pop?

One of the users in the other thread mentioned that his friend's copy was numbered ~415K. Each of the Legendary Editions have a unique number signifying the unit produced. So unless Microsoft gave away 250,000 units for free, their calculation is a bit off.

Another odd thing in that write-up is they express amazement the game "didn't even sell out".

I dunno about you but, a game selling out is pretty much a insult to me. It's not like hardware, all you have to do is stamp more discs..

Virtually none for the book? I'm sure rowling doesn't need the money, but I'm betting she's getting paid and probably a higher percentage of the profits than bungie.
Thye're not paid wages up front to create the product though. A writer writes their book for no money (unless they've landed themselves a contract) and then gets a fee if the book sells. Which means costs to create a book are nothing other than manufacturing and marketing. Books are pretty expensive to make for what they are, but relative to wages for 100 developers for 2-3 years, plus the fact you can scale production based on demand to ensure little over-expenditure, managing expensive relative to profits is a darned site easier.

Any old author. Authors often write a book and see if they can sell, but sometimes they land a contract to produce a series or whatever with a (often significant, but still peanuts relative to developer costs) advance. So if you're a publishing house who wants Mr. Mucklesborough to write you a series of 3 adventure stories, you may pay him £100,000 up front - and that's the development cost of the book, versus many millions for a AAA game. Add to that some wages for editors and marketeers, and the printing costs which scale with how much you produce so you don't have an up-front cost, and the costs of books is clearly way, way down versus the costs of producing a game.

Any old author. Authors often write a book and see if they can sell, but sometimes they land a contract to produce a series or whatever with a (often significant, but still peanuts relative to developer costs) advance. So if you're a publishing house who wants Mr. Mucklesborough to write you a series of 3 adventure stories, you may pay him £100,000 up front - and that's the development cost of the book, versus many millions for a AAA game. Add to that some wages for editors and marketeers, and the printing costs which scale with how much you produce so you don't have an up-front cost, and the costs of books is clearly way, way down versus the costs of producing a game.

The point I wanted to make is that the author in question, is J.K Rowling. While I have no idea what her contract looks like, I'm sure if she wanted millions up front, she would have gotten it for deathly hallows.

Highly unlikely, because when the first book was accepted, she entered into a contract to write all 7. And back then she was an unknown, with no expectations, so any advance and contract she'd jump at! Even then, that'd just be a very rare exception to the way book businesses are run, which was the point about business choices, and why dollar amounts are more important than units.

Highly unlikely, because when the first book was accepted, she entered into a contract to write all 7. And back then she was an unknown, with no expectations, so any advance and contract she'd jump at! Even then, that'd just be a very rare exception to the way book businesses are run, which was the point about business choices, and why dollar amounts are more important than units.

And the norm for a video game is 170 million in day 1 sales? We're hardly discussing 'the norm'

anyway this is pointless.

so how again do we know its $170 million sales for one day?
how was this data collected? has NPD become unnecessary?

so how again do we know its $170 million sales for one day?
how was this data collected? has NPD become unnecessary?

NPD is not more accurate than the source. If the corporations would choose to release all their sales numbers monthly, yes, we wouldn't need NPD.

um so will we be measuring NPD figures in dollar terms from now on?
The whole point of unit sales of consoles is that they generate money with software. Dollar figures for units sales is almost meaningless, because $1B in PS3 sales could actually mean $200M loss for Sony, whereas $500M sales of Wii could mean $100M profit for Nintendo. All console makers aim for more or less break even (i.e. usually +/- 20% or so, IMO), so $ sales don't really say much about what the product does for the company.

Software, on the other hand, has universally high gross margins. Total $ sales figures are pretty fair to compare across consoles. The whole point of the business is to maximize the $ value here.

The whole point of the business is to maximize the $ value here.
true as in any business, but if anything the difference in software development costs (ratiowise) is even larger than with hardware think <$1million vs $20+million blockbuster productions

true as in any business, but if anything the difference in software development costs (ratiowise) is even larger than with hardware think <$1million vs $20+million blockbuster productions
It doesn't matter. The profits going to the console makers are pretty uniform as a percentage of sales. Moreover, developments costs are one-time, and don't effect the gross margins, which is what I was talking about.

Halo 3 takes UK by storm

It’s no surprise that Microsoft and Bungie are No1 in the All Formats Chart with ‘Halo 3’. ‘Halo 3’ storms in as the second fastest selling game ever in the UK, behind ‘Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas’.

The UK’s love-affair with Rockstar’s PS2 San Andreas almost 3 years ago is still the benchmark for week 1 and lifetime sales. However, the PS2 installed base back then was around 6.6m (after 4 years) – Microsoft have to make do with ‘just’ 1.4m in less than 2 years. Released on Wednesday 26th September for the first time on Microsoft’s Xbox 360 format, ‘Halo 3’ was bought by 1 in 3 Xbox 360 owners in its first week, whereas 1 in 6 Xbox owners bought ‘Halo 2’ and back in PS2’s heyday (week 44 2004) 1 in 10 PS2 owners bought ‘San Andreas’. Although ‘Halo 3’ had a headstart on San Andreas with 4 days of sales in its first week rather than San Andreas’ 2 days, the launch is still very impressive, helping to more than double the sales of Xbox 360 hardware to the highest level shown this year and even beats Nintendo’s Wii for the first time since week 13 this year. 68% of Xbox 360 software sales this week were of ‘Halo 3’ (compared to 56% of PS2 software for San Andreas’ launch), pushing Microsoft’s format to its highest sales week ever (comfortably beating week 51 2006 which was the previous highest).

‘Halo 3’ is not the only massive game to be launched this week: EA’s ‘FIFA 08’ kicks off at No2 in the All Formats Chart with the biggest opening week of any FIFA game. The PS2 version accounts for 44% of sales, the Xbox 360 version 26%, 20% on PS3 and 10% across the remaining formats (PSP, Wii, PC and DS). The Xbox 360 version of ‘FIFA 08’ is the third fastest selling Xbox 360 game in the UK, behind ‘Halo 3’ and ‘Gears of War’. 83% of all Xbox 360 software sales were for ‘Halo 3’ and ‘FIFA 08’.

There are a total of 7 new games in this week’s All Formats Top 40 released by 5 different publishers – Microsoft, EA, THQ, Sega and Activision. The next highest new entry is THQ’s ‘Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights’ at No5, then ‘Sega Rally’ at No7 and EA’s ‘Skate’ on Xbox 360 at No11. Activision’s PC-only ‘Quake Wars: Enemy Territory’ can only manage No16, while THQ’s ‘Ratatouille’ sneaks in at No39 in anticipation of the film’s UK release on October 12th.

NPD is not more accurate than the source. If the corporations would choose to release all their sales numbers monthly, yes, we wouldn't need NPD.

I do not think MS knows exactly what they sell anymore than NPD..MS only knows exactly how many they ship, say, to Wal Mart. I dont think Wal Mart then reports back to MS exactly how much they sold in any given time frame. Same for other retailers, especially when you get down to the myriad small ones..

I doubt stores are in the business of giving away their sales totals to all companies who's products they carry, as a practical matter if nothing else. That is why MS and Sony comment on the NPD's each month. And I assume they also pay the tens of thousands for full NPD subscriptions..

Now, Sony recently qouted a 100% sales increase at the 5 largest retailers..the corps probably have some visibilty to the largest chains..those largest chains also control most of the video game market..Wal Mart, Target, Gamestop, and Best Buy are a very high percent of the total..

Back