Halo 3 Registers Biggest Day in US Entertainment History with $170 Million in Sales

22psi

Veteran
Microsoft today announced that the Xbox 360 exclusive game “Halo 3†has officially become the biggest entertainment launch in history, garnering an estimated $170 million in sales in the United States alone in the first 24 hours. The Xbox 360 title beat previous records set by blockbuster theatrical releases like “Spider-man 3†and novels such as “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.â€

“Halo 3†is the conclusion to the epic trilogy and picks up where “Halo 2†left off, answering questions around the fates of the beloved protagonist Master Chief and his artificial intelligence sidekick Cortana as they struggle to save humankind from destruction at the hands of the alien coalition known as the Covenant. In addition to the rich storyline, “Halo 3†continues the franchise’s grand tradition of delivering innovative online multiplayer experiences via Xbox LIVE, the world’s largest social network on TV.

“Halo 3 has become a pop-culture phenomenon,†said Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios. “Not only is “Halo 3†setting sales records, it’s also redefining entertainment.

Within the first 20 hours alone, we’ve seen more than a million Xbox LIVE members come online to play Halo 3 – that makes September 25 the most active Xbox LIVE gaming day in history.â€

Retailers have also expressed their excitement about the launch of “Halo 3.â€

More: http://majornelson.com/archive/2007...-biggest-day-in-us-entertainment-history.aspx

Surprised B3D users, please raise your hands :p

I've been at the Central European launch party, and the MS rep said they plan to make $1 billion from the Halo franchise this year. Can't really see how, even if they sell +200% of the game this year they'd barely reach half of that...

I'm sure the Xbox live numbers are a bit inflated given that the Gold features are being sponsored by some companies for a couple days (i.e. free). ;)

Going by AntShaw's friend's Legendary edition number, that's over 415K sold @ ~$130/150 (USD/CAN) -> over $50M. I'm interested in how many copies were sold during that timeframe however. It must be less than 2.38M, otherwise they'd have bragged, no?

$170M of revenues given that average price is probably above $70 means it didn't quite hit Halo 2's 2,4M copies sold in one day... Total failure!!!1one

Surprised B3D users, please raise your hands :p

I've been at the Central European launch party, and the MS rep said they plan to make $1 billion from the Halo franchise this year. Can't really see how, even if they sell +200% of the game this year they'd barely reach half of that...
Yeah, that seems impossible. They would need to sell almost 12M copies of limited edition SKU.:eek: (besides day 1 USA sales!)

I wish I could make that kind of money in 24 hours :oops:

a major junk of change no matter how you look at it.

Thats huge, good for them!!.... I'm not surprised with all of the marketing! The Best Buy Add last week where selling Package deals on Samsung DLP TV's and XBOX360's, If you bought the TV/360 package you got an instant savings of $350.00!! more or less making the damn 360 free.... do you believe that $hit:.... I would have been there if I had the money...they had a 720p 50" DLP and the XBOX360 for $1199.00

phew, at least one of my predictions today came true (i also thought that usa had a good chance of beating samoa in the rugby (96% of ppl said USA would lose) WS won 25-21 btw )
>> “Halo 3â€￾ is the conclusion to the epic trilogy
conclusion??!! um i dont think so, you can bet the house or there being more halo games

pret-ty good... pret-ty, pret-ty good. ;)

Factoring in the smaller user base (US only) compared to when Halo2 released, not bad at all.

Good work Bungie.

With 4player co-op, multiplayer, replay system, Forge and bugie.net haulover, you've certainly earned it.

I think that will include Halo related peripherals and whatever else they attach it to. From the reports I read earlier, Halo related perpherals and even the Halo SE 360 were evidently selling quite briskly as well.

$170M of revenues given that average price is probably above $70 means it didn't quite hit Halo 2's 2,4M copies sold in one day... Total failure!!!1one

Yeah, that seems impossible. They would need to sell almost 12M copies of limited edition SKU.:eek: (besides day 1 USA sales!)

The ASP in one article was said to be $78.

At any rate, 3 has a significant amount less install base to sell into. Remember that 2 came out 3 years after Xbox 1 launch (2004/2001). 3 is coming out 2 years after 360 launch (2007/2005).

360 has outsold Xbox1, but not enough to make up that year deficit.

The fact 3 is hitting pretty close to 1's numbers, mean the Halo attach rate is higher this time around.

I think that will include Halo related peripherals and whatever else they attach it to. From the reports I read earlier, Halo related perpherals and even the Halo SE 360 were evidently selling quite briskly as well.

Oh yeah... I completely forgot about the Halo 3 Xbox 360. How limited is it? And those $60/$70 (USD/CAN) Halo controllers... yikes.

didn't sony ps3 sell something like half a billion dollars in the first day here in the US? isn't a console considered entertainment too?

or was it Europe...

perhaps microsoft should have said "for a game" and not "entertainment history" because this includes alot of stuff.

didn't sony ps3 sell something like half a billion dollars in the first day here in the US? isn't a console considered entertainment too?

or was it Europe...

perhaps microsoft should have said "for a game" and not "entertainment history" because this includes alot of stuff.

Being as that would equate for amost 1 million sales in 24 hours. No. Calculator is your friend.

No if and's or buts, thats a lot of revenue for a 24 hour period.

Half a billion seems a bit high. There were 200k PS3 on launch day. That'd top out at $120 million if they all sold and were all $600 SKUs, so the hardware wouldn't have got that much. I think the Sony press release was total earnings, which included games and peripheral sales.

Back