Halflife 2- first screenshot

Echarin said:
Ingenu said:
Evil_Cloud said:
I always have to think of Starship troopers or starcraft when I see the screens... They could be a little more original on that point ;)

argh comparing a Half-life with the worst film in the universe... SHOCK HORROR

Surely there are movies worse than Starship Troopers. I can think of a few (a few dozen that is)

yep... there are movies with more stupid stories around... at least Starship Troopers looks good....

To bring the topic even further from its course: Starship Troopers wasn't that bad. It wasn't that good, but it wasn't bad either.

Tahir said:
It's all a matter of taste...

How you feel about a movie, wether you thought it was fun to watch or it made you want to scratch your eyes it, has nothing to do wether it's a good movie or not. For example:

Star Wars is a good film. Some people may not like it, but it's still a good film.

What a funny way of thinking :p

From your link below my friend, a review of Manos, the Hands of Fate:

For starters, I have to admit I have reviewed this film twice before, but I feel that I should write a REAL review of the film instead of just a simple paragraph saying "See it" or "Don't see it". I finally found a review format that I could work with and now am reviewing this film in that formet.

I first saw "Manos the Hands of Fate" on the Mystery Science Theater 3000 TV show. It was hilarious how they poked fun at the film, but I wondered what the film was really like without the silhouettes making non-stop comments. I finally sought out the film and viewed it myself, with no prejudice or scrutiny. I like this film. Hard to believe, but I like it.

The plotline is simple: a family stumbles upon an evil cult in the desert and cannot escape "the hands of fate". The acting is not horrendously bad (I actually liked Diane Mahree, Tom Neyman, and the Master's two primary bickering wives), but could use some work. The cinematography is most of the time badly framed, but the way that "Manos" is filmed gives it a feel of authenticity and sleaze. Whenever I watch the film, I feel that the people all died during the making of it! The music is pretty good, I would love to get a soundtrack! The sets are very grimy and sinister, I love them. Especially the interiors of Torgo's little house, with that creepy altar and morbid painting of the Master and his dog!

I get very angry when people make fun of this movie with no mercy. Why? Because most of these people have NEVER SEEN THE ACTUAL MOVIE! Over half of the reviews on the IMDB for "Manos" are people who have only seen the movie on MST3K. That, in my opinion, does not count. Not only is the movie tampered with, but the MST3K version cut a few scenes out. Surprisingly enough, they feature the best acting in the entire movie! The scenes: 1) Mike and Margaret come to a dead end and have to turn around again; 2) an extension of the showdown between the Master and his blonde wife, featuring many slaps in the face and frantic yelling; 3) the brunette wife of the Master informing him of the family's escape; 4) a few other scenes of the family attempting to escape and falling into ditches, etc.

All of the MST3K reviews should be disregarded. And the IMDB ratings are almost all from people who have only seen the MST3K version! That just angers me to no end! Please, if you've only seen the MST3K version, do not review the movie here. Review it under the "Mystery Science Theater 3000" page on IMDB! "Manos" is a bit hard to find, but Something Weird Video and Sinister Cinema offer prints of differing quality. SC's print jumps a lot and cuts off a bit of the beginning.

Star Wars is a good film. Some people may not like it, but it's still a good film.

Like I said, it is a matter of taste. To the people that do not like it Star Wars is a bad film. To the people that like it, it is a good film.

There are no absolutes and rights and wrongs on what people perceive a movie to be. It's not like mathematics where you have a right and wrong answer. We are talking about art and emotions.

Starship Troopers was pretty ingenious, I thought. Heinlein was known for it's extremist's views that war brings the best in the nation and in people, and I thought film made quite a bit of parody to his views, in a pretty clever way.

Having a cast of ex - 90210 and Melrose Place teen actors turned completely Nazi, proudly bustling for a system that is so obviously mimicking National Socializm, all spiced with some weird WW2 slang... I dunno, I thought it was a pretty clever satire not only to Heinlein's work, but also to a state of world we live in, masked into what on surface looked like mindless, and even better, campy action flick. If nothing, how many campy movies can you find made with that kind of budget? Could it be that Verhoeven wanted to give another bitchslap to Holywood, not as strong as he did with Showgirls, and definitely a lot more clever?

zurich said:
mkillio said:
Surely there are movies worse than Starship Troopers. I can think of a few (a few dozen that is)

one word, Gymkata. That is the worst movie of all time, hands down.

What about Barberella? :p
Barberella was cool, if you were feeling stupid at the time.
Look Starshiptroopers did not take itself seriously, that is why it was pretty funny.

Starship Troopers is one of my top 5 favorite films.
Marconelly! wrote just the reasons why it is so great.

Many people just went in and expected to see a simple scifi action flick, and didn't see the satire.

It's not because everyone thinks something that it's the truth.

Earth was flat thought almost everyone not so long ago... but it's round sorry...

I say it's such a bad movie, it was the first time I wanted to get paid for the time I lost trying to get something out of this completely unrealistic movie.

Why the hell do they send troops while you can simply nuke the whole planet ?
Why do you make all your ships arrive from the same side of the planet, while they could simply be on different orbits and meeting in a short time spawn above/around the target to launch troops ?

I heard the book was interesting, but the movie is definetly a failure.

Tahir said:
What a funny way of thinking :p

From your link below my friend, a review of Manos, the Hands of Fate:

For starters, I have to admit I have reviewed this film twice before, but I feel that I should write a REAL review of the film instead of just a simple paragraph saying "See it" or "Don't see it". I finally found a review format that I could work with and now am reviewing this film in that formet.

I first saw "Manos the Hands of Fate" on the Mystery Science Theater 3000 TV show. It was hilarious how they poked fun at the film, but I wondered what the film was really like without the silhouettes making non-stop comments. I finally sought out the film and viewed it myself, with no prejudice or scrutiny. I like this film. Hard to believe, but I like it.

The plotline is simple: a family stumbles upon an evil cult in the desert and cannot escape "the hands of fate". The acting is not horrendously bad (I actually liked Diane Mahree, Tom Neyman, and the Master's two primary bickering wives), but could use some work. The cinematography is most of the time badly framed, but the way that "Manos" is filmed gives it a feel of authenticity and sleaze. Whenever I watch the film, I feel that the people all died during the making of it! The music is pretty good, I would love to get a soundtrack! The sets are very grimy and sinister, I love them. Especially the interiors of Torgo's little house, with that creepy altar and morbid painting of the Master and his dog!

I get very angry when people make fun of this movie with no mercy. Why? Because most of these people have NEVER SEEN THE ACTUAL MOVIE! Over half of the reviews on the IMDB for "Manos" are people who have only seen the movie on MST3K. That, in my opinion, does not count. Not only is the movie tampered with, but the MST3K version cut a few scenes out. Surprisingly enough, they feature the best acting in the entire movie! The scenes: 1) Mike and Margaret come to a dead end and have to turn around again; 2) an extension of the showdown between the Master and his blonde wife, featuring many slaps in the face and frantic yelling; 3) the brunette wife of the Master informing him of the family's escape; 4) a few other scenes of the family attempting to escape and falling into ditches, etc.

All of the MST3K reviews should be disregarded. And the IMDB ratings are almost all from people who have only seen the MST3K version! That just angers me to no end! Please, if you've only seen the MST3K version, do not review the movie here. Review it under the "Mystery Science Theater 3000" page on IMDB! "Manos" is a bit hard to find, but Something Weird Video and Sinister Cinema offer prints of differing quality. SC's print jumps a lot and cuts off a bit of the beginning.

Like I said, it is a matter of taste. To the people that do not like it Star Wars is a bad film. To the people that like it, it is a good film.

There are no absolutes and rights and wrongs on what people perceive a movie to be. It's not like mathematics where you have a right and wrong answer. We are talking about art and emotions.

The way I look at it is that there is an absolute right and wrong when it comes to movies. How you feel about the movie however has nothing to do with that. If a movie is well made, features good acting and good music and has what it needs to be a good film, then it´s a good film no matter what you may think of it. You might think it was the absolute worst film you´ve ever seen, but that doesn´t make it bad.

I´ve learned that there are few who share my view on this, and so by my own words the majority (you who believe differently than me) should be correct, except that would make my words invalid and then I could say them again, but that would make them invalid again...........

Back