Halflife 2- first screenshot

Cyborg

Ok, I couldn't actually find any better pics. Out of 20 pics on IGN not one was indoors. The game might have a similar look at HL, but graphically you couldn't mistake it for half life AFAICS.

Phil

Ok, I suppose scanning something in can sometimes make it look more realistic then it would look normally. So I'll wait until I see better pics of the game before I judge it. Still even if you scan in those half life pics, or any HL pics, they wouldn't be mistakable for that HL2 shot.

Also I don't really think a scanned image and a picture of a TV image is quite the same thing :)

That looks okay, but it defintely is no Doom 3 killer.

I also agree that it can even be mistaken for the original Half-Life (perhaps with modded characters :)). aside from the characters themselves, the surrounding area looks pretty cheap with simple geometry and no noticeable texture effects. compare that to the complex and detailed environments from Doom 3 and there is no comparison.

I bet if someone took a high res screenshot of Half-Life with modded characters, then added a blrry scan filter to the image, it would be very comparible to what is shown in that first pic.

If these pics are legit then there's obviously no per-pixel lighting in hl2.

Doesn't much impress me. Lightmaps look incredibly blocky. From what we can see, geometry not overly dense either. It's hard to judge from only two scanned pics, but if the game runs as fast as it does, no way it can exceed Doom3 on a technical level.

It's fillrate that keeps framerates down with doom3, not Carmack's ability to code efficiently (*snicker* as if that would ever be in doubt). If HL2 runs at 70+ fps at max detail on a Ti4200, then it obviously doesn't use unified lighting model or stencil shadows or something even beyond that.

Now, I'll assume HL2 to run a hell of a lot faster than Unreal2, coz Sweeney and crew seems to suck, quite frankly, but it seems to be a rather traditional 3D engine for performance reasons. They understand the power and the money is at the low-end. Therefore it is impossible for the game to look anything like a DVD movie. It just won't work.

*G*

how about you wait for a highres pic that isnt scanned from a 1inchx1inch pic in magazine before saying what the graphics look like.. you have to kind of make things out in those pics, but, there are no textures like that in SH3..

the second pic is a stetched out Worldcraftish demonstration of new additions, not an ingame screen.

I know this is a bit off-topic... but...

i got Half Life for PS2 and yes it's a good game and all (graphics are Pre-historic though) and i got to the point where everthing gets a bit weird and u are teleported to some kind on different dimension or something and fight the big monster, following it into the cave and all.... well i got there but then i got so bored, i didn't see the point.... what's the story behind it all? i just don't get it.... i'm gonna get back to it and give it another try but can u guys tell me whether it gets any better, and especially whether the story gets a bit better... cuz so far i'm not impressed... :D

Quaid said:
That looks okay, but it defintely is no Doom 3 killer.

Half-life wasn't a Quake killer either in the graphic area, still gamewise I'll buy Half-life instead of Quake2/3 any day.

OK, if after these, you still dont see a difference from the original halflife, I might suggest you see an eye doctor...
looks to me as photo realistic as it gets

*edit* had to host these, wasnt working with the old filenames

babycakes.jpg

fire.jpg

hl1.jpg

runyo.jpg

teleport.jpg

zerg.jpg

" got Half Life for PS2 and yes it's a good game and all (graphics are Pre-historic though) and i got to the point where everthing gets a bit weird and u are teleported to some kind on different dimension or something and fight the big monster, following it into the cave and all.... well i got there but then i got so bored, i didn't see the point.... what's the story behind it all? i just don't get it.... i'm gonna get back to it and give it another try but can u guys tell me whether it gets any better, and especially whether the story gets a bit better... cuz so far i'm not impressed"

the problem is, you got halflife... for PS2.....
its magic can bot be realised on a console(because the reason we love it
so much, is that the devs care so much about the community, making it easier and easier to mod for, I have about 50-60 games on my harddrive to play, that are all halflife total conversions.

CaptainHowdy said:
the problem is, you got halflife... for PS2.....
its magic can bot be realised on a console(because the reason we love it
so much, is that the devs care so much about the community, making it easier and easier to mod for, I have about 50-60 games on my harddrive to play, that are all halflife total conversions.

:rolleyes: I'm talking about the story......... if i wanted to play counterstrike and whatever else exists on PC i would have said PC....... all i'm interested in, at the moment, is the story side of things, which i imagine being the same for all versions....

HL2 looks nice considering the very low minimum system requirements, but it doesn't look anything stunning, not with the STALKER and DOOM3 screenies we've already seen - heck, even Unreal2 is better in many ways.

The major thing that jumps out at me is the lack of environmental detail. Maybe it's just incomplete, but compared to Unreal2 or Doom3, HL2 just looks barren. You see a few wires here, a pipe there, a computer there, but it's far less than Unreal or DOOM, and is rather reminiscent of Halo. The character models seem to be much lower-poly than Unreal2, - unfortunately, I can't see any DOOM3/Halo2-style bumpmapping. (According to the interview, they have bumpmapping on everything, but it doesnt seem very obvious in screenshots) In fact, textures are the most unimpressive of any upcoming shooter... Silent Hill 3 almost looks better, and Halo or UT2k3 are infinitely better. (Don't even mention DOOM3!) Couldn't they at least include a high-resolution texture pack for high end computers?

If anything's going to make HL2 impressive, it will probably be the physics... It seems like you'll be able to deal damage by throwing heavy objects and making objects fall on enemies, which will be very cool! Also, the fact that most game objects seem to be destructible will be nice. On the other hand, the whole "using tables as a shield and throwing chairs" thing sounds rather gimmicky... Hopefully there won't be too many Trespasser-style "use the physics engine to do something stupid" puzzles.

london-boy said:
[

:rolleyes: I'm talking about the story......... if i wanted to play counterstrike and whatever else exists on PC i would have said PC....... all i'm interested in, at the moment, is the story side of things, which i imagine being the same for all versions....

the story was awesome, it just starts off very slow, you go to work, like a normal day, when the **** hits the fan, things get slightly intense, then its kind of slow again, fighting dinky things like zombies and headcrabs.. once the militarty gets involved, its buttkickingly good..

the game is awesome, but when put to console controls, its dumbed down and slowed, doesnt work the same.

15.jpg

Im wondering if this can be in-game graphics? Looks leagues ahead of the other HL2 shots, probably concept arts?

Those outdoor screenshots look gorgeous. Smoke and fog and fire looks awesome. I also love the art direction behind the game. Environmental and character models are artistically very good. Water technology is also very nice and realistic. Looks like I'm gonna wait for this game to buy a new graphics card. Anybody know the minspecs?

Tear of joy just fell from my eye. I have been waiting for this game for 5 years and I will be buying a new PC just for this game in Sept. Although it does help that Deus Ex: IW and Doom III are coming out soon too.

i'd rather have physical properties-based destructive geometry (hl2) than the doom3 polybump feature. My bets ,gameplay wise (and interactivity)would then go to HL2.

Back