H1Z1: Sony meets DayZ [PS4]

The guy is hilarious!

This is, without a doubt, the worst ever early access game I have ever seen. Nothing that I have ever reviewed or played comes close to how abysmal this game is on every fucking level, guys. It is not only a cheap cash grab, but it's a horrible cheap fucking game. It's just a cheap fucking looking, plain, horrible, half-arsed, slapped together pile of shit, that I wouldn't even wipe my ass with if it was toilet roll. That's how bad this game is. It's un-fucking-real that a game like this could be released.

That's just a fraction of his review...

I tend to hate people who do angry game reviews, but I couldn't help but laugh at this one. For whatever reason I have a fascination with bad games, so I was watching twitch this morning. There is definitely a deeper mechanic to crafting where you can build bases etc. The thing is, resource gathering seems awful and the basic combat with the zombies is horrible. The world is really boring. It just doesn't look like a fun game at this point, even if it has some good ideas.

The zombies basically just stand around, rarely attack, and when they do they're really easy to deal with. You can run around and search through rooms with zombies close by and not really worry about them at all. Any danger comes from other players.

I tend to hate people who do angry game reviews, but I couldn't help but laugh at this one.
The Welsh accent helps but yeah. Even thought he just kept repeating himself over and over with frustration, it was quite entertaining.

Now why give players more crates than keys, when keys are needed to open creates and not naturally found in the environment? That's insane. Lack of items spawning (apart from the packet of salt in four hours, lol) and lack of reactivity by zombies and deer suggest server issues.

That's just a fraction of his review...
Early Access is definitely buyer beware. I've paid for Space Engineers, 7 Days to Die, The Long Dark and Wasteland 3 in Early Access and had really good experiences with software, i.e. the game delivers on the premise and gets developed and/or fully released.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why anyone would pay $20 to play what looks like an Alpha product. Part of me has no sympathy for the people that were burned by this. At the same time, if you take $20 from someone, I don't think you can just say it's still under development as an excuse for an incredibly poor experience. You can buy a lot of good well-developed retail games for that price tag.

When is the real release supposed to happen, because it looks like they have more than a year of work to get something decent.

Sony have said a few times that there is no definite date for the full F2P launch. This in itself should ring alarm bells than the Early Access may be Reaaaaaaally Early Access. Each of the Early Access games I've bought have generally been in the programme a while and have been refined to the point of being well features and well reviewed.

Consumers have to take some responsibility for spending money, nobody has a gun to their heads. In addition, this is an MMO. Has any MMO launch gone smoothly? :nope:

"I was a walking f:$king blackberry farmer!!!"

"The deers in this game have lost their will to live!!!"

LOL.

Last edited:
Consumers have to take some responsibility for spending money, nobody has a gun to their heads. In addition, this is an MMO. Has any MMO launch gone smoothly? :nope:

Technically it's not even a "launch" yet.

Seems to be pretty janky right now as well. I watched a stream where someone paid 5 USD for an airdrop of supplies. It landed. Then server crashed. When they logged back in, they were out 5 USD and had no access to the airdrop or its contents. 5 USD paid for nothing.

Regards,
SB

They took people's money and held an online launch event for early access. Not sure if technicalities matter.
Because consumers should take no responsibility for their decisions? Gamers freely gave money to Sony (SOE), with SOE"s history, knowing they were getting unfinished MMO code, likely to have sever issues, for a F2P so far from completion there isn't even a published full launch date.

Because consumers should take no responsibility for their decisions? Gamers freely gave money to Sony (SOE), with SOE"s history, knowing they were getting unfinished MMO code, likely to have sever issues, for a F2P so far from completion there isn't even a published full launch date.

I'm not sure how you can defend the launch of this game. I think people are really stupid for handing over their money to get into this early release for a game that's supposed to be free to play, but that doesn't absolve the developer of any of the problems on their end.

I'm not sure how you can defend the launch of this game. I think people are really stupid for handing over their money to get into this early release for a game that's supposed to be free to play, but that doesn't absolve the developer of any of the problems on their end.

I'm not defending Sony. I'm saying that if you invest in an Early Access game not expecting issues then you have to be pretty clueless. Everything in Early Access is ring fenced with warnings about getting an unfinished product with bugs and instability being expected.

If you still buy, you really have no cause for complaint.

I'm not defending Sony. I'm saying that if you invest in an Early Access game not expecting issues then you have to be pretty clueless. Everything in Early Access is ring fenced with warnings about getting an unfinished product with bugs and instability being expected.

If you still buy, you really have no cause for complaint.

I would expect early access quality to be like the Destiny alpha or Halo 5 MP or Drive Club at launch.

I would expect early access quality to be like the Destiny alpha or Halo 5 MP or Drive Club at launch.

I can only speak for the Early Access games I've bought into or am following closely waiting to buy in and Early Access is rarely like that. Games are often incomplete and fundamental design decisions are absent or in flux and subject to change - 7 days to Die, DF9, Wasteland 2, Space Engineers, The Long Dark, TFL.

More early Minecraft (circa 2009-10) than Destiny which was mostly complete with the alpha and beta being a test of the technology, particularly the servers, and game balance.

Ha! Pretty funny even if not intended as a joke. ;)

I can't understand why they're charging for those airdrops on an early access game. Surely the testing process should really involve scenarios where they'd want to test for multiple drops at the same time, etc. Why not limit to 1/person/day or week? Especially since the game is F2P (P2W?) and has already asked for an upfront payment on early access.

If evil were a game, it'd be H1Z1 in its current state. ;)

I can't understand why they're charging for those airdrops on an early access game. Surely the testing process should really involve scenarios where they'd want to test for multiple drops at the same time, etc. Why not limit to 1/person/day or week?

You'd think somebody at SOE would have thought that charging for server events when the servers are unstable and may not deliver is an obvious recipe for frustration. The bigger question is why are Sony charging at all? The only thing I can think of it is being a way to limit the initial number of participants while benefitting from the advantages of Steam distribution but there's got to be a better way of doing it than this.

Dumb. But that doesn't excuse people happily and knowingly paying money for early incomplete code then acting surprised when things don't work.

Well there's many grades of unfinished. I'd assume that when a game goes early access, it is fundamentally playable. Otherwise you're not actually offering anything to those investing in playing it. As a hypothetical example, what if a game goes early access and has just an intro screen and the developers first 'move cube around the screen' test build?

Ultimately, the quality of the unfinished product should be clearly described and not leave people filling in the blanks. If this was the case with H1Z1, more fool the buyers. If it wasn't transparent and gamers were led to believe the game was in a more progressed and functional state than it is, naughty SOE.

The game is functional, I've watched two of my fave streamers play it for at least a two hour session each. It seems pretty close to DayZ standalone as far as functionality / glitchiness goes. It would be totally reasonable for early access if this wasn't actually a f2p game.

Back