H1Z1: Sony meets DayZ [PS4]

On steam?

I don't get it. Does the PS3 run steam? What does Steam have to do with Sony?

Is this a Sony developed and published game for the PC?

Sorry, I'm ignorant of all things Sony.

Although I did finally replace my WDLIVE player with the PS3 and after adding the PS remote control and integrating Plex into my home server, it works far better than the WDLIVE player. I'm much happier with the PS3. Even native apps such as Netflix loads so much faster and is a vast improvement.

Lol.. internet hoax turns out to be a real game.. Maybe next time, Sony will gather all the April fools jokes and make them into real games. :D

On steam?

I don't get it. Does the PS3 run steam? What does Steam have to do with Sony?

Is this a Sony developed and published game for the PC?

Sorry, I'm ignorant of all things Sony.

Although I did finally replace my WDLIVE player with the PS3 and after adding the PS remote control and integrating Plex into my home server, it works far better than the WDLIVE player. I'm much happier with the PS3. Even native apps such as Netflix loads so much faster and is a vast improvement.

Planetside 2 is also a sony game , and is on Steam. SOE has been making pc games since forever.

I heard H1Z1 is free to play, so $20 thing is a surprise to me.

Planetside 2 is also a sony game , and is on Steam. SOE has been making pc games since forever.

Wasn't aware of that, haven't been into PC gaming for years and the only time I hear anything about PC/Console developer/publisher cross publishing its always how Xbox games aren't true exclusives because they are also available for the PC.

I wasn't aware that Sony did the same. Or are none of Sony's PC games available on their PS systems? In which case... why is this one expected to be and posted in the console gaming forum?

Sony Online Entertainment is an independent game development wing not associated with SCE. They mostly make PC games like the EverQuest MMO.

Nosing the quotes in that article, apparently SOE is now part of SCE and so a PS version seems far more likely, though not a given. The SOE website lists several games for PC and only a few for PS - DC Universe online, Payday: The Heist, and Rochard. Everquest, Dragon's Prophet, and PlanetSide don't have PS3 versions. Given only DCUO has a PS3 port of the MMO games, evidence is that H1Z1 won't be getting a console port until told otherwise.

Edit: More investigating, it's PS4 bound:
http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/9/559...t-spills-details-on-post-apocalyptic-mmo-h1z1
Sony Online Entertainment's post-apocalyptic massively multiplayer online game, H1Z1, is heading to PC first and PlayStation 4 later, SOE president John Smedley said on the latest Game Talk Live episode, and will be available in 4-6 weeks via Steam Early Access for $20.

Wikipedia suggests all PC games are coming to PS4, EverQuest Next and PlanetSide 2, which makes financial sense. PS4 is likely well above the minimum PC spec for these games and porting shouldn't be too hard. Just need some code gurus to massage the CPU side of things for the Jags.

Is it confirmed there'll be PC crossover? I presume so. That should be good for chat on PS4, as I'm guessing it's prevalent in the existing players of these games. I also, maybe wrongly, assume the level of voice chat on PC is more mature than the stereotypical console gamers, whcih would be good for injecting some class into console gaming culture.

PS4 DCUO shares the same servers with PS3 and PC gamers. Dont know if the Planetside 2 will do the same, the eternal mouse vs gamepad debate is much more stronger with FPS games.

As for SOE, they also announced Everquest Next for PS4, no timeframe was given for any version of that game.

I guess now that the latest Sony console is x86 they will be aiming to have all the recent & upcoming SOE games ported onto the PS4.
The PS4 is fast becoming the MMO console, that should help them in the Asian markets.

So, the early access did not go well. It's actually a monumentally hilarious fuckup. The game launcher featured twitch streamers that they asked to be there (paid), and then the whole game went for a shit, so the launcher was just watching people bitch about the game. Apparently there was a guy playing BF4 in a H1Z1 shirt while eating doritos. Now the game is monumentally fucked with constant disconnects and the people who have been able to play discovered there's basically a pay to win element to the game. You can buy air drops that contain guns and food etc, which the devs said initially would fuck up the game. Now Sony Online Entertainment is offering refunds to anyone that feels they've been scammed by airdrops ruining the game balance.

The airdrops are not pay to win. Anybody can initiate an airdrop but the person paying has no guarantee of getting the items. It's basically a free for all.

Naturally if you're in a fairly remote place your chances of being the player closest increase but that's not to say you won't be zombie bait before you get to the drop. Airdrops make noise, noise attracts zombies.

A couple of friends are playing the alpha and are liking it. I'm not paying for a F2P game myself. That just seems nuts!

$20 and $40 for airdrops you're not even guaranteed is insane. The game sounds pretty messed up to me.

Hopefully this isn't the future of gaming.

I too don't understand the paid air-drops. That you can lose it means you're basically pissing money away. And originally, they were just supposed to contain cosmetic items, so you'd pay for new skins that someone else could take? Who the heck designed this thing?!

$20 and $40? Wow, that's insane. I thought they were a $1 or something. Maybe it's intended for servers where where the participants are are co-operating, i.e. everyone shares the wealth (and perhaps spread the cost) to fend of the zombies?

Watching the twitch streams, I have no idea why they tried to do a launch event for the early access. The game is all kinds of awful. You see guys standing looking through their inventory and zombies will run right past them. There's massive lag. The graphics are pretty poor right now. Twitch streams are basically just people collecting scrap metal by hitting cars with crow bars, and forging barbecues. The idea of the game is cool, but right now it wasn't worth trying to hype.

Back