GT4 in Game Cube, how it could be this version?

The think a GCN version would likely have shorter loading times. Also the FMVs would probably use DivX encoding to save disc space.

Ok, and how will be the model poly count in cars?

The space requierd in GOD's is not a problem, a great game needs a lot of god's (see RE...), but I want a simulator drive in my Nintendo console, maybe in Revolution we will have a decent simulation driver? Of course not like GT, but maybe a rally o gt game, but realistic please, and LAN support!!

Since the first Need For Speed on 3DO or Saturn I'm not played any simulator :(

Nintendo Software Technology would do a conduction simulator with the goods of GT?

If there is anything that would be tricky to reproduce on GC, it would be the framebuffer effects on the PS2 version, which i think could be done one way or another anyway.

Other than that, the only thing i could think of is the space needed on the disc, with all those cars and tracks. Not sure how much space is needed for the music either... FMV shouldn't be a problem, there is only one scene, the intro, which can be either compressed or taken off altogether..
But we don't know how much space GT4 is taking on the DVD so...

london-boy said:
If there is anything that would be tricky to reproduce on GC, it would be the framebuffer effects on the PS2 version, which i think could be done one way or another anyway.

Are you serious? GCN eats FB effects for breakfast. What do you think the eDRAM in Flipper is used for other than a texture cache?

Control_Pad said:
but I want a simulator drive in my Nintendo console, maybe in Revolution we will have a decent simulation driver? Of course not like GT, but maybe a rally o gt game, but realistic please, and LAN support!!
Behold GT Cube, the "GT-killer" #787B!

Control_Pad said:
Since the first Need For Speed on 3DO or Saturn I'm not played any simulator :(
Need for Speed wasn't close to be a simulation. So you might want to check NFS: Hot Pursuit 2, it has awful framerate problems on the GC version, but at least it's the legitimate successor of NFS. And it's a fun game to boot.

Control_Pad said:
Nintendo Software Technology would do a conduction simulator with the goods of GT?
You mean the same NST that couldn't make a good Ridge Racer, which is an (extremely) arcade game, even if their lives were threatened?

BTW, threads like this remind me the old time of the "MGS2/GT3/WHATEVER CAN BE DONE ON THE DC, IF YOU CHANGE IT ALL AND SHIT, BUT STILL, IT CAN BE DONE, SO STOP ARGUING USING THIS "LOGIC" STUFF!".

Ahh, thoses were the days, the good... err... bad ol' days. :p

Anyway, thoses threads had, at least, the advantage to always be very informative, resourceful and interesting... Ok, i'm lying.
The flames were funny to read when you're at work, though. :p

PCEngine said:
Are you serious? GCN eats FB effects for breakfast. What do you think the eDRAM in Flipper is used for other than a texture cache?
Well GCs render to texture operations can be pretty costly (they go through main ram), and fillrate is lower to begin with.
It would depend on how well the particular effects would translate into texture combiner math (keeping number of render to texture passes to minimum), but either way I would expect things to be generally slower here because of lower fill.

Don't really know what stuff GT is doing in this area though.

Fafalada said:
Well GCs render to texture operations can be pretty costly (they go through main ram)

Costly ? I always assumed it was pretty cheap since Nintendo is using these effects so much (DOF in Zelda and Mario Sunshine, heat effects, water distortions...).

Zeross said:
Costly ? I always assumed it was pretty cheap since Nintendo is using these effects so much (DOF in Zelda and Mario Sunshine, heat effects, water distortions...).
You must note that both are 30fps.

Costly ? I always assumed it was pretty cheap since Nintendo is using these effects so much
Well it's costly in terms of required bandwith - on PS2 it's free.

Eg. doing one 24bit full buffer copy to&from main memory @60fps costs ~110MB/s - which while not free, isn't that big of a deal yet. But try doing 5... or 10times per frame - and it becomes a VERY big deal.

Considering the production cost of GT4 - somewhere in between 60 and 80 million dollar - it really is possible too on GameCube if about the same budget were to be spent. GT4 is all about expensive custom built visual deception technology. ;)

BTW, threads like this remind me the old time of the "MGS2/GT3/WHATEVER CAN BE DONE ON THE DC, IF YOU CHANGE IT ALL AND SHIT, BUT STILL, IT CAN BE DONE, SO STOP ARGUING USING THIS "LOGIC" STUFF!".

Well we see that re4 can be done on the ps2 but they are changing alot of things

The leap between the gc and ps2 is the same leap between the pst and the dc .

I don't see why the gamecube can't do this game . Of course things will have to be done diffrently , they are two diffrent systems . But the point is it can be done.

This is a game with a massive amount of time and money put into it . Remember there was the gt 3 development time and the time between gt3 and 4 to develop the tittle . That is alot of time pushing one piece of tech.

This year we are seeing games that push the gamecube like re4 and soon the new loz . Its been shown the order of graphics is xbox >gc > ps2 .

That is no shame , hte ps2 is the oldest system but its time to stop pretending

Vysez

You must note that both are 30fps.

Metroid Prime has lots of these kind of effects and its 60fps.

Fafalada

So are you're saying that for render to texture effects on GC you have to draw a frame, send it to main ram and then copy it back to the embedded framebuffer to do the effect?? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Evil_Cloud said:
Considering the production cost of GT4 - somewhere in between 60 and 80 million dollar - it really is possible too on GameCube if about the same budget were to be spent. GT4 is all about expensive custom built visual deception technology. ;)

WHAT!? 60-80 MILLION DOLLARS?? Where did u get that number from? They would need to sell about 15-20 million copies of GT4 alone to break even!!! :oops:

:rolleyes:

When will people stop grasping at straws and finally realise that different architectures == different strengths? A game that is not multi platform like Gran Turismo 4 (that is expected to be taking full advantage of the platforms strengths it's targeting) is unlikely to be possible without any drawbacks. Even if the drawbacks are minor in some areas while it could be taking advantages in others, it still won't be the same game.

There are beautiful games on all platforms but suggesting that title x taking advantage of platform y could be done platform z equally is absurd.

There are many things that cost performance in a game that isn't directly rendered as pixels - such like for example A.I., physics etc. There's simply too much unknown about Gran Turismo 4 and the way it deals with those factors on the PS2 that there is absolutely no reason to assume it should be possible on GameCube. Unless someone here knows for a fact what those millions lines of code are doing, wihch I very much doubt.

So are you're saying that for render to texture effects on GC you have to draw a frame, send it to main ram and then copy it back to the embedded framebuffer to do the effect??
Well, the copy back is to embeded texture buffer (it doesn't have to be explicit, you can let the caching mechanism do it for you, but for full screenbuffer texture it will end up loading the whole thing anyway) - but yeah, that's how it's done.

Evil_Cloud said:

Did someone say Shenmue?

london-boy said:
WHAT!? 60-80 MILLION DOLLARS?? Where did u get that number from? They would need to sell about 15-20 million copies of GT4 alone to break even!!! :oops:

I don't know about you, but most software companies I've seen seem to sell their games for more than 3 or 4 dollars. Could you perhaps link to some online prices?

;)

Didn't they also sell lvls of this game , or whatever they were called in japan ? LIke a preview of the game for 20ish ?

Back