GT4 in Game Cube, how it could be this version?

If you are referring to Gamecube then it would have a rather hard time with some for some of the effects.

It could handle the geometry, but there are some things Polyphony are doing on the PS2 that others have been unable to do.

There's really nothing going on in GT4 that the GCN couldn't do. All the geometry is static, all the lighting is prebaked, shadows are fake. There isn't a load of particles flying around either. Heck the GCN would likely be able to put 4+ layers of textures onto to each car.

GT4 is made specifically for PS2 though, so I'm sure a port straight to GC would have a couple of problems (should be overcome with enough effort though).

I'm sure a developer of equal skill could put out a racing game that looks even better if they designed it specifically for GC though. Pitty that's never going to happen.

out of curiosity... what's the best looking realistic (ie not fzero or extreamG) racing game on the gamecube. i tried to think of a racing game on GC that compares graphicly to GT3 or 4 and i couldn't think of one.

I don't think there are any serious racing sims on Gamecube. It's sad. N64 had some great titles.

And, I highly doubt that PS2 can do much of anything better than Gamecube. And it would take a TON less effort to do it on GCN too.

GT is more about art than tech. Just compare GT1/2 on PS1 to GT3 on PS2. Same basic game engine with better graphics.

If RE4 is possible on GCN then GT3/4 is possible on it too.

I don't know which is the best looking racer on GC (NFSU2 or Burnout 2 perhaps?). But these are all the realistic car based racing games on GC:

Need for Speed Underground 2
Need for Speed Underground
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
NASCAR Thunder 2003
NASCAR 2005: Chase for the Cup
Burnout
Burnout 2: Point of Impact
R: Racing Evolution
Street Racing Syndicate

PC-Engine said:
There's really nothing going on in GT4 that the GCN couldn't do. All the geometry is static, all the lighting is prebaked, shadows are fake. There isn't a load of particles flying around either. Heck the GCN would likely be able to put 4+ layers of textures onto to each car.

I'm telling you, it can't handle the bitmap backgrounds.

PS2 has more usuable memory for them, and I'm sure they take up quite a bit of disc space. Do you want GT4 on 4 disks?!

Fox5 said:
PC-Engine said:

I'm telling you, it can't handle the bitmap backgrounds.

PS2 has more usuable memory for them, and I'm sure they take up quite a bit of disc space. Do you want GT4 on 4 disks?!

:LOL:

Does it matter if it takes 4 discs ?

Its if it can be done or not .

I think it can be done just as good .

Dunno though , don't find the game very impressive

all those cars alone would take 4 GC discs.

gonna need GC's with two disc loaders (game and data). maybe put them on the side for a deLorean look. ;)

Sonic said:
It could handle the geometry, but there are some things Polyphony are doing on the PS2 that others have been unable to do.

Kind of like what Factor 5 acheived technically with RL & RS3? Rare with SFA? Studio 4 with RE4? What EAD will acheive with the forthcoming LOZ? And say what you will but I do not think that AV's F-Zero GX could be replicated on the PS2 replete with all of its effects. (Widescreen, 60fps, 30 individual racers, numerous particle effects, animated track environments, 480p, etc.)

There are no games though in reality that can't be ported. Halo can run on the PS2, but at what performance cost & stripped of how many features? This is the question. A total of 5 racers, pre-baked lighting, generally generic racing AI, static non-interactive geometry, incorporating repeating textures, (instead of utilizing bit maps) with a team like Polyphony at the head & 3 years of R&D behind them, a superior version is virtually a guarantee. This is not a knock against the PS2, & certainly not Polyphony, but the PS2 simply lacks beneficial hardcoded features that the GC possesses. With only 5 racers I can only imagine the amount of texture detail given to the cars, the enhanced lighting, etc.

People simply do not want to accept the natural order. The XBX>GC>PS2

Actually, I think it more has to do with the expectations of some people to deliver a game "exactly the same" but better, which is probably not obvious or easy with any of the platform-specific games that really push things. Each of the consoles has their own strengths and weaknesses, so each of them would end up contouring a game differently to deliver it to another platform. Could the GameCube deliver the kind of driving experience you get from GT4? Sure. Will the whole game look the same and toss on its own improvements? Not in my mind. I'm not sure just what would have to be developed differently--and that's a fun little discussion to have, so long as no one starts turning up the language--but I do know some changes would have to be made, and that some of those changes would almost undoubtedly be seen as "worse."

Of course then you start tossing on the "betters" as well, so in the end you have a game that's likely improved, but differently shaped. (And then the end-reception of all the changes will be "better" or "worse" entirely dependant on an individual's tastes, like all games.)

I will not disagree that PS2 would be hard to replicate the games Li Mu Bai mentioned on the Gamecube. There is so much color and life in those games that it is rare to see that in a PS2 game.

It is mainly the developer that I am concerned with and there are thigns Polyphony are doing with the PS2 that we simply don't see from racing games on the Gamecube or Xbox. Forza may be a good start but from initial impressions of the game it is just fluff wrapped in an ugly package.

I imagine what Gran Turismo would have looked like if it was on Xbox and I just think it would be 10 itmes better looking. Polyphony know how to tackle hardware that is rarely seen by devs these days.

Back