Grand Theft Auto VI [GTA 6]: What can we expect?

It likely will when you keep in mind console optimization. 40 series will be old by then. These comments will be a real hoot to come back to next year.
No. RDNA 3 is a complete dud and its dual issue is very close to useless. PS5 pro will almost certainly be slower than a 7800xt. The only possible saving grace is some custom hardware that allows for DLSS level upscale quality.

Would also need a lot more bandwidth.

BTW i wonder how much money they already made with youtube revenues from their reveal trailer

Insider Gaming aka Tom Henderson already confirms 60 CU PS5 Pro with more accelerated ray tracing and "8k performance mode". We can take his word to the bank considering he's been 100% accurate with Sony leaks. Kepler speculates RDNA 3.5 with RDNA 4 RT technology. RDNA 3 already has circa 50% uplift in RT performance. If RDNA 4 RT has another 50%, that gets you a 4k30 RT game on base PS5 to >4k60 with same quality RT. It will probably even be more.
Tom Henderson is not a person who can confirm anything.

Here's a tweet he just made, confirming that he doesn't know and can't confirm anything.

4k to 8k doesn't need 8x raster bump it's 4x pixels. When you have near 2x CUs, 15-20% GPU clock bump and RDNA3 dual issue compute finally kicking on all cylinders that can get you to 8k. Like Insider Gaming reporting is as good as gold. I saw someone in Neo Gaf said that it can be used for brute force super sample anti-aliasing just like the PS4 Pro was used on 1080p displays. It's not such a bad idea. It is probably a better path than any other form of upsampling if DLSS isn't an option for the pro.
Current games are doing 1440p, not native 4K.

No. RDNA 3 is a complete dud and its dual issue is very close to useless. PS5 pro will almost certainly be slower than a 7800xt. The only possible saving grace is some custom hardware that allows for DLSS level upscale quality.
yes indeed. This is why GPU for PS5 Pro won't be 7800 xt. It will be a new GPU, to be released. Likely the rumored RDNA3.5 8700-8800xt (with improved dual issue).

Last edited:
Current games are doing 1440p, not native 4K.

yes indeed. This is why GPU for PS5 Pro won't be 7800 xt. It will be a new GPU, to be released. Likely the rumored RDNA3.5 8700-8800xt (with improved dual issue).
7800xt uses 250 watts. They will need to shave almost 100 off to fit in the power envelope of a console. How are you proposing this will be done without a drop in performance?

I'm sure in the last public roadmap AMD had RDNA4 in Q4 2024 so some bonkers mix of RDNA2/3/4 for PS5 Pro's APU doesn't seem far fetched.

But when you see games like Avatar running at 60fps, with a lot of stuff going on, then I'm not even sure GTA VI won't offer a 60fps mode on base PS5/Series X. As I said earlier, they have to get this running on Series S and Rockstar are ridiculously good at extracting unimaginable performance out of console hardware.. just look at RDR on 360/PS3 and RDR2 on PS4/XBO.

Last edited by a moderator:
wasn't RDR2 the first Rockstar game to run decently on their initial target systems ?
In terms of landing a consistent 30fps, yes. Most of the earlier games got a pass because of the scope of the games, but RDR on 360/PS3 was still really impressive. Digital Foundry still occasionally gush about the technical achievements, witness the semi-recent coverage the PS4/Switch remaster versus the original game running on Xbox upscaled.

4k to 8k doesn't need 8x raster bump it's 4x pixels. When you have near 2x CUs, 15-20% GPU clock bump and RDNA3 dual issue compute finally kicking on all cylinders that can get you to 8k. Like Insider Gaming reporting is as good as gold. I saw someone in Neo Gaf said that it can be used for brute force super sample anti-aliasing just like the PS4 Pro was used on 1080p displays. It's not such a bad idea. It is probably a better path than any other form of upsampling if DLSS isn't an option for the pro.

Its a 4x bump to go from 4k to 8k. And 2x to go from 30fps to 60fps. The two put together takes a 8x performance increase.

Considering the actual render is running at around 1440p internal res, a hypothetical PS5 pro that has around 2x the performance of the base will be able to hit 4k native at the same fps, and perhaps maybe have enough juice left to upscale that to 8k for the seven consumers out there with 8k televisions at home.

Base consoles will definitely use HW RT with exception of Series S. I doubt the little guy is up to the task memory wise. Like NX Gamer mentioned, history tells us the trailer was probably captured on PS5. 1440p30 with RTGI and RT/SSR Reflection mix. I'm guessing PS5 Pro will likely come in at 4080 level and run the game at either 8k30 with better or more RT features or base PS5 fidelity mode at 60fps.
WTF are you smoking? PS5 Pro on the level of a 4080 lmao?

8K/30fps? Jesus Christ. This must be trolling.

It really just depends of pixel processing bottleneck and it's going to be game dependent. Pixels aren't created equal. Base PS5 already runs the Touryst at 8k30.
This forum is well aware of computational requirements changing between games... however we're in a thread where we are specifically talking about GTA6... which is not only one of the visually most impressive looking games yet to be released, but also insanely ambitious far beyond what most games will even attempt for the rest of the generation. I think you know where I'm going with this. This is no Touryst... lol

It really just depends of pixel processing bottleneck and it's going to be game dependent. Pixels aren't created equal. Base PS5 already runs the Touryst at 8k30.
That game barely pushes much visually and thus is not a good reference. How can we expect current Gen games to run even at 8k 30fps when it is a challenge to even make them run at native 4k at 30fps? I would never expect a game like Spiderman 2 to ever run 8K on a PS5 pro. It's a huge challenge to even reach such resolutions at a stable performance on PC with more powerful GPUs unless we are talking about some small budget indie games that aren't doing much. Not to mention that it is pointless to target such resolutions

I'm guessing PS5 Pro will likely come in at 4080 level

That's some serious fantasising you're doing there. The current 60CU rumour puts the Pro at the level of a 7800XT which runs at 2.4Ghz. The 4080 is around 50% faster than the 7800XT in raster so unless you're expecting the PS5 Pro GPU to run at 3.6Ghz+ while simultaneously almost halving the power draw of the 7800XT then 4080 level is a laughably outrageous expectation. And that's before you consider the simultaneous improvements they would need to make to it's RT capabilities.

"Console optimisations" generally account for at best a few percent in well optimised titles. Not 50%. 50% would mean the base PS5 always performing comfortably above 2080Ti levels of performance - which it literally never does, even in the most wildly well optimised console games that have shoddy PC ports.

Realistically the PS5 Pro will land around 4070 level in raster and if AMD do an exceptionally good job improving their RT capabilities, it might just land in a similar space for RT as well. In a handful of the most extremely optimised console games that aren't well ported to PC, that means it might be playing in the 4070Ti's league, at best.

This forum is well aware of computational requirements changing between games... however we're in a thread where we are specifically talking about GTA6... which is not only one of the visually most impressive looking games yet to be released, but also insanely ambitious far beyond what most games will even attempt for the rest of the generation. I think you know where I'm going with this. This is no Touryst... lol

You're right. I'm getting off track.

Back