Gran Turismo 6

I want to know if I'm actually going to get a current-gen version of Laguna Seca, or if it's just going to be the GT4 model with HD lighting again.

I guess GT6/7 on PS4 will also use adaptive tesselation... I wonder how much change it will be from the PS3 version.

There will be a demo (GT Academy style) on July 2nd.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_3812785.html

Nice. :)
Time to bust out the wheel again.

See you on the track ... :devilish:

Look forward to this one. From the videos I've seen so far I couldn't really see an improvement to the car's looks except in closeups on the sides, and I'm wondering if there also have been some downsides. But I'm really interested to see the tesselation in action - it will be one of the first console titles I know of to use the technology in any significant way. I'm also hoping this will significantly increase their modelling speed and efficiency, and make it easier for them to get their older car models look better with relatively little effort. And of course the same goes for their PS4 outing.

But of course first and foremost I'm also interested in the new physics, and how they feel when I'm playing the game with my own old trusty DF Pro.

See you on the track ... :devilish:

Look forward to this one. From the videos I've seen so far I couldn't really see an improvement to the car's looks except in closeups on the sides, and I'm wondering if there also have been some downsides. But I'm really interested to see the tesselation in action - it will be one of the first console titles I know of to use the technology in any significant way. I'm also hoping this will significantly increase their modelling speed and efficiency, and make it easier for them to get their older car models look better with relatively little effort. And of course the same goes for their PS4 outing.

But of course first and foremost I'm also interested in the new physics, and how they feel when I'm playing the game with my own old trusty DF Pro.
I haven't touched a racing game for over a year... I have a feeling my rust is going to show for the first few dozen laps. :cry:

Anxious to see the improvements too, but I wonder how representative this will be of the final game. I'm not expecting a big leap visually. I'm sure the physics will be great. PD have said that the sounds were placeholders at E3 so I wonder if we'll hear the same sounds on this demo.

I haven't touched a racing game for over a year... I have a feeling my rust is going to show for the first few dozen laps. :cry:

Anxious to see the improvements too, but I wonder how representative this will be of the final game. I'm not expecting a big leap visually. I'm sure the physics will be great. PD have said that the sounds were placeholders at E3 so I wonder if we'll hear the same sounds on this demo.

There's a nice interview with Yamauchi outlining what will be implemented, what they want to implement, and what may not make it in time. Sounds like there's a chance the demo won't be representative of the final product, and a chance that by and large it will.

GTP: So we will see some changes in that area?

KY: “Actually, we are doing research right now to generate the sounds in a completely different way. I’m not sure if it is actually going to make it into GT6 in time yet, but we’ll have to see.”

GTP: The artificial intelligence of the other drivers, will that see any changes or improvements in GT6?

KY: “Like the sounds, that is something that we’re rebuilding for GT6. It won’t be the same as GT5.

“In addition to the things we’ve already announced, like the new rendering engine, the new physics, suspension, and handling modeling, the AI and the sound simulation is something that we are working on.

“As with pretty much everything in the game, we are going back to the basics and rebuilding it. We don’t know when the results of all that effort will come out yet, but of course, it’s not going to be the same as GT5.

“I know there were some rumors that the sound for GT wasn’t recorded with the engine under load. That was actually true until GT4 was produced, but for GT5 all of the sounds that we’ve taken were from cars that were on a dynamometer and placed under load.

“That’s not the whole of the problem, though, and obviously that’s not good enough for GT6 and for the future. We’ve been working on a new system for generating sounds for a few years now, we just haven’t made that breakthrough yet, and we’re still working. That’s what we’re aiming for – to make that breakthrough – so that we have something of a high quality to show.

“In terms of physics we were able to show that, but for sound simulation, not yet.”

GTP: Will time-of-day changes be available on all tracks in GT6, or will this only apply to new tracks in the game?

KY: “On Silverstone and Willow Springs, you can see they have time changes. They will be compatible with weather as well. Whether or not that will be applied to all tracks in GT6 hasn’t been decided yet.

“The issue is that if you set a certain time and set certain weather conditions, and build it to those conditions, you get a better quality result.

“However, when we do weather simulations or atmospheric simulations, if we can get it right, it’s going to raise the overall quality of the actual track beyond having it in a fixed condition where things are always going to be the same.

“That’s what we are aiming for and that’s the breakthrough we want to make, but it’s something else that we still don’t know if it will make it in time for GT6.

“We still haven’t given up on that dream of making a breakthrough, and that’s why Silverstone and Willow Springs have changing weather and changing time, as you saw on the show floor.”

That aside, did anyone listen to the GT6 E3 trailer? Outside of what I thought to be an excellent song choice, the car audio seemed to be a noticeable step above what I recall from GT5. Which may or may not be representative of 6. Hard to say with Polyphony. Regardless I'm looking forward to 6 (and even more so to 7). Hopefully they do a CE of the same caliber as 5s. I still need to sort my wheel situation out, but I think I'll hold off to see how things shake down for next gen.

Another nice interview with Yamauchi , this one by Venture Beat.

Here's some harsh criticism (brutal honesty?) from Yamauchi on the PS3.
The PS3 was a combination of a poor GPU with an SPU that’s really fast if you use it right. It’s not a very well-balanced machine. It’s hard to use the hardware properly. That’s one reason why it took us five years to develop GT5. Using the SPU properly, though, that in itself is really interesting. On the PS3, in the demo, we showed the adaptive tessellation. That’s the kind of technology that you normally wouldn’t be able to do unless you were on the PS4-generation of machines. When you optimize the use of the SPU properly, you can do that even on the PS3.
That type of talk would have gotten even Kazunori lynched a few years ago. :p

A little PS2 fillrate madness:
When the [PlayStation 2] came out, one unique characteristic of that system was that the screen fill rate was very fast. Even looking back now, it’s very fast. In some cases, it’s faster than the PS3. There, we were able to use a lot of textures. It was able to do that read-modify-write, where it reads the screen, you take the screenshot, and you modify it and send it back. It could do that very quickly.

I don’t know if anybody remembers, but when the PS2 first came out, the first thing I did on that was a demo for the announcement. I showed a demo of GT3 that showed the Seattle course at sunset with the heat rising off the ground and shimmering. You can’t re-create that heat haze effect on the PS3 because the read-modify-write just isn’t as fast as when we were using the PS2. There are things like that. Another reason is because of the transition to full HD.
Some other good stuff, but I thought those 2 things were funny highlights.

I can't remember if the dust / smoke had shadows before, only that brake lights lit them ... Certainly it doesn't seem to horribly pixellate edges on the car now. Going to download and see for myself ...

Looks like world shadows are low resolution, also lighting being directly towards sun is perhaps worst case for many perspective shadow methods.
Moving blobs are from thin polygons casting a shadow.

Particle lighting looked good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good stuff, some bad stuff. I like the small bits of attention to detail, and the more exciting lighting, low, visible sun etc., that reminds me of GT3 back in the day. I like the driving model - the suspension and tires are a real step up. Tire sound gives even better feedback than before. The cars definitely look good too, and most of the really weird artifacts are gone. I think the tesselation is a big win for the cars, from the looks of things - tried zooming in with Triangle, and, well, not a triangle in sight. ;) Shame they don't give an option in the garage to zoom in and have a really close look at the details yet though. I also like the new menus, they do indeed seem quite zippy and look good.

I don't like the way the interior lights up. That's done with some very coarse ray-casting method instead of a shadowmap it seems, but the resolution of that is just way too coarse - way, way too coarse.

You get a decent reward for getting all the golds, and there are some bonus events coming in the game after the competition ends at the end of this month too, with the potential to continue doing that until close to release (similar to how that goes in GT5 right now).

World shadow is indeed coarse. It suggests being real-time changeable for this track, similar to the handful of tracks in GT5 that support this. Framerate is a bit too low as well. The cockpit view isn't much fun to drive right now because of it, if you're driving competitively you'll want to have one without.

Game isn't out yet though, and I'm sure we'll see some improvements at least (and continue to do so during the year following, as usual).

Starting to be really curious about what next-gen Gran Turismo will bring now though! However good this still looks, it's clear there is plenty of room for improvement now, and the hardware is starting to show its age.

Holy crap. The menu system is eons better than that mess in GT5. Everything is fast and easy to find. Shadows are cleaner, sounds are better, driving model seems great from what I have played (Leaf with a steering wheel).

You are lucky people! I took a look in Youtube and I didn't find videos of the demo. I wonder why... . I also wonder if the driving feel is very different from GT5.

I want to watch this game running on a PS4 too... Will it take 5 years again? I dunno, probably not.

Aside from that I wonder if some things are the same old. I wouldn't be overly shocked if that was the case, the hardware has been showing its age -as Arwin said- for a long time. Not a problem though and it is only a demo and all that.

Great meaty demo. Seems to be a GT-R event after the academy qualifying is over.

Visually I think it's a noticeably a step up. The lighting, car models, pixelation around the car when it's in smoke, and self casting shadows are greatly improved. Environments are pretty much the same... same shimmering power lines/wires etc. Frame rate in cockpit view at 1080p is very sluggish... supposedly 720p is fine. I played in bumper view.
The UI/menus and loading times are much faster now.
Sound seems to be about the same, although I'm going off memory and I haven't played GT5 in a while.

Physics wise I'm also going off memory, but it seems to be a bit better... the suspension model and sensing weight transfer to be specific. GT5 already felt great to me so it wasn't a huge improvement from what I remember.

On the Silverstone qualifying full lap, I managed 2:21.954, ranked 178 regionally and in the 2000s globally. :( ~4.5s off the best time. Haven't 'raced' silverstone before so it took me a while to learn the track. Might be able to shave a bit more off.

Setup: Driving Force GT wheel with race line and assists all off, just ABS set to 1.

1080p shots - http://minus.com/mb22hwbjiRilgG
720p shots - http://jurass.minus.com/mJu6odRgMvhvp

Shadowing system is calculated on SPUs probably, look at this
Those shadows in motion http://gyazo.com/422209879cc62eddfc6333290a41a3fd
http://i.minus.com/iIaqmA8p83gIr.gif

They've kept particles lighting, but new shadowing system produce strange artifacts
http://i.minus.com/iyiyVcdQtZ9XZ.gif

Did they keep the same rez as GT5? For 720p and 1080p modes? Also seems to be missing alot of SS in interior shots vs GT5.

LOD's more aggressive?

Do you have comparison shots for similar interiors shots? GT5 vs 6

Back