Gran Turismo 6

Where did you get those shots, ultragpu ?

I am actually curious about adaptive tesselation for the environment. e.g., the Andalusia scenery sets.

From the look of the wireframes, they seem to be using something like Nurbs or another type of subdivision surface, which means tessellating the old low poly models won´t be very trivial. You need to have tessellation in mind when building a model for it to work properly. Maybe they could have build an mostly automated conversor that builds subdivision surface meshes out of the triangle ones, but even that would need some artist touching up.

That's what I was thinking; cars aren't equally round on every surface. You can't just fill in the gaps with more poly's on those old PS2 models, it really wouldn't end up that accurate. They must've created higher poly meshes for all of them through automation, and then had the artists touch it up manually. I'm guessing this probably didn't take a lot of time compared to making a new, high poly model. I'm really hoping they redid the textures more than anything.

Ok, disregard some of my comments. I haven't played GT5 since early 2011. Updates have apparently allowed for changing wheels and have even improved the quality of standards somewhat. Given the fact that Polyphony have done this, I think they have a team working on greatly improving the standard models. They may not model interiors, and instead they could end up using a generic interior, but I get the feeling that most standard cars will be ported and they will be of a greatly increased quality compared to their PS2/PSP counterparts or original GT5 counterparts. Some may get the full premium treatment like the Countach LP400 which featured in the promo video. It was previously a standard car.

I just hope they get smarter with the duplicated cars at least. If they model one R32, R33, R34 skyline, why can't all sub-models be premium? Sometimes there are no visual differences, other times, they are small enough to add in an hour or so, surely. Also, speaking of the Countach earlier. Surely, modelling some wheels, flares, some different vents and a wing to make it an LP500/QV5000 would be easy enough? I just hope they actually think about how easily they could flesh out the premiums this time. Sure, I get it that some people hate the duplicate cars. But given how little time it takes to alter one model into 2-5+, I think it's worth it for those who have their preferences within a model, or own/owned a particular model/year of the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although many were expecting a PS4 announcement. It make sense for them to do PS3 only now. I have seen some videos although most people could not tell big graphic changes from the event most people did mention driving model is much improved.

Seeing polygon edges is not a proof on that.
They just might not tessellate track as much to keep performance high.

I thought that they would prioritize road with tessellation and fix the most annoying look of those polygon curves.

Finally you can buy GT from PSN straight to the hard drive. Hopefully the loadings are much improve. That was my main let down with GT5, especially before the patch. Next is frame rate, hopefully more stable.

I also hope they kept the 3D options, but fixed the menu and on board display. At certain 3D setting they look all wrong and uncomfortable. Beside that I'm looking forward to it. I haven't touch GT5 in ages, maybe I'll give it a spin this weekend.

I thought that they would prioritize road with tessellation and fix the most annoying look of those polygon curves.

I was thinking they may not touch the tracks because they are carefully managed by human measurement.

I think the landscape added by the track editor may be more applicable. Was referring to the Andalusia "diorama".

Here's a transcript of the round table interview with Yamauchi by GTPlanet. Some fairly direct questions, and a few hopeful tidbits in some of the answers (along with bad news, of course).

Will there be “Standard Cars” in GT6?

We won’t be making all the Standard cars from GT5 into Premium models, and we won’t make all of the GT5′s Standard cars fully “Premiumized”.

Up until now, we used to categorize them as Standard and Premium because there were functional differences between them: some of the Standard models might not have tuning parts, or couldn’t be used in Photo Mode. That will all be cleared so every model can be used in Photo Mode, and every car can have parts fitted for it.

In terms of graphics quality, the bad quality Standard models we’ve updated so they look better.

:D

Will all of the cars have interior views?

No.

(Editor’s note: This apparently does not apply to all of the cars which were listed as “Standard” in GT5. For example, two cars which were prominently featured in the GT6 trailer and its first official batch of screenshots, the Lamborghini Countach LP400 and Alpine A110 1600S, both appeared as Standard cars in GT5 but have apparently been converted to “full” Premium models – with interiors – in GT6.)

:cry:

It seems like some standard cars may be left out from his comments. This at least means that of the 1200+ car count we will see more new premium models than expected. I just hope that they focus on the textures more so than just upping the polygon count when revamping the standards. The textures were by far the worse offenders, especially on race cars.

The current game (GT5) looks stunning, i hope they focus on getting the core gameplay better, the feeling of driving, all the physical stuff like suspension, tires etc, just to enhance and improve the driving feeling.

I will enjoy the new graphic engine and the removal of the awful low res shadows,but i have to admit that after playing the game for so long all those annoyances and flaws are really minor now. Visual damage for example the implementation was weak but again, by now i don't miss it. And thankfully the punishment for going over the line/cutting corners and bumping into other cars is pretty rough when you are on the edge, so it's not possible to just ignore "damage" and cheat all you want.

What annoys me is that i have to wait for the next "challenge" to be opened in order to play something new with all my cars. And i think that this is more much important to focus on than for example updating all cars to premium. Especially when it's not all seasonals that are that exciting.

For example right now i am eating my way through the 750pp real circuit challenge with a 787B, it's a challenge for me (controller and not the best driver in the world) but it's exciting and a challenge. VS racing low powered Sedans around a boring track...

I wonder just how much power they need to use for the physics simulation vs the graphics.

doesnt that video are a real 60fps? eurogamer did not add their own frames.

btw the deletion of self shadow really shown (agh cant get the right english sentence)

Argh!!!It hurts my eyes!It doesn't feel natural at all,it feels very artificial ,because the original trailer was done at 30fps,Eurogamer added frames ,and it makes the video kinda weird.
No, that's an actual 60fps-rendered video. The game itself runs at 60fps (and has for the last three games), and now it seems unnatural to you?

Back