Gran Turismo 6

not really a confirmation but business wise everything make sense. No point of driveclub if GT6 is for PS4 launch.

I think this is so obvious, they're not going to bother spelling it out. They don't want to ruin sales of Drive Club after all. Besides, as long as they have high polygon assets already made, they can just use those during the race and run the game at 1080p60 with an even higher LOD than the PS3 version.

GT6: Epilogue

I am not a simulator fan or I would have been very happy that this is coming for PS3 than 4. GT5 was their first outing on the ps3, I am sure they must have fine tuned everything now and we can expect much better usage of the hardware.

Somewhat baffled by the PS3 announcement at this point. Hopefully we'll know more before they actually release the game, so I can decide whether to just wait for the PS4 version.

I didn't see anything about a new sound engine, because the series desperately needs it.

But what about the remaining 800 standard cars? They already look bad next to PS3 in game premiums, on PS4, they'd stand out so badly compared to a full LOD premium model...

But what about the remaining 800 standard cars? They already look bad next to PS3 in game premiums, on PS4, they'd stand out so badly compared to a full LOD premium model...

Adaptive tessalation is likely the blanket fix for that. Will be curious to see how much quality varies by the number of cars in screen and overall scene complexity.

Sure, that would help polygonal detail somewhat (if that would even work without creating a higher poly model to begin with?), but the texture detail and completely 2D flat wheels were the worst offenders, especially for race cars with decals.

I guess this,
• Multiple aerodynamic parts and custom wheels will be available for almost all cars.
hopefully means that standard cars have been reworked slightly to accept the same wheels (polygonal) as the premium cars.

All that said, I really think they've done the right thing by keeping the standard cars. I love way too many of them to let them go, and don't expect them to give even more than half the premium treatment with the amount of time they spend modelling premiums. I just hope they do some minor adjustments to the standards. Maybe tesselation will help, but as I said, that was only one part of the issue.

Ahh fantastic news, another edition of my most played game on the PS3.

I hope they added more "single player missions" to the game, the seasonal stuff is great, but it would be great if they added more races from the get go. For example a "race creator" where you could mix cars, tracks, difficulty as you please.

Somewhat baffled by the PS3 announcement at this point. Hopefully we'll know more before they actually release the game, so I can decide whether to just wait for the PS4 version.

I didn't see anything about a new sound engine, because the series desperately needs it.

I think its really hit or miss with the sounds, some cars like my fave, sounds fantastic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNILs5iPiPg

Some can sound boring and dead from the inside, but ok from the outside, while others sound fantastic from the outside but muted from the inside. Being PD i would be surprised if they didn't have a reason for these differences. I would guess they find their sound more "realistic" compared to what some people want and some of their cars simply doesn't have updated sounds compared to the newer cars.

Tire screeches however, they need an update..

Why do we think there are standard cars in GT6 at all?

Because at the rate they have made premium cars in the past, it seems impossible that they have managed to make 900+ of them in a couple of years or less. Making 150-200 new cars seems more likely.

So this is what their adaptive tessellation looks like.
http://gematsu.com/gallery/albums/gran-turismo-6/may-15-2013/Gran-Turismo-6_2013_05-15-13_021.jpg
http://gematsu.com/gallery/albums/gran-turismo-6/may-15-2013/Gran-Turismo-6_2013_05-15-13_022.jpg
10nvlvc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Would this also mean they can do without LODs completely? Because that could save them quite a lot of work in the car modeling pipeline (and save them a little bit of memory too I bet). It's also certainly a good preparation for the PS4 version ...

Would this also mean they can do without LODs completely? Because that could save them quite a lot of work in the car modeling pipeline (and save them a little bit of memory too I bet). It's also certainly a good preparation for the PS4 version ...

From what I'm reading from Fafalada and Swifty, it should provide memory savings by removing the need for the additional LOD meshes to be stored in memory. Which for GT5 was one extra mesh per car, IIRC.

Link
Fafalada said:
Funny thing is, every tesselation is adaptive. :D
Actually many/most aren't - it's quite common to use fixed parametrizations, adaptive is not really a solved problem for certain types of topology, especially realtime.

Link
Fafalada said:
That's just tessellation.
No - tesselation is creating new polygons from existing ones - regardless of the size or position of objects on the screen.
There isn't much that the PS3 can't do the question is how good can it do tessellation.
It's one of the things SPEs pretty much excel at (as did PS2 VUs for that matter).

Link
Swifty said:
Graphics coder here. Tessellation let's us break up a mesh into a more complex mesh for use in something like displacement mapping. The question is how much we breakup the mesh. Adaptive tessellation let's us break up the mesh using dynamic factors such as distance, occlusion, and size.

Tessellation wasn't originally supported on the PS3 so it's likely they're doing this as an SPE job. PS4 has tessellation support from the get go.

Link
Swifty said:
The difference between this and the traditional way of doing LODs is memory. With traditional LODs, you need to store a separate mesh for each model's level of detail. With adaptive tessellation, you can potentially just store a base model and let the tessellation shaders handle how many primitives are produced.

Back