Grad school vs. hw experience for 3D hw designer in industry

Freak'n Big Panda said:
hehe I'm entering Electrical Engineering @ Waterloo this September, Interestingly enough I have a very similar goal to yours. I've wanted to work in the computer/tech industry since about grade 7, decided that I wanted to design ASICs for a living in grade 10. I think I'll be able to meet the requirements sireric mentioned when the time comes :) working on ASICs @ ATI has always been my dream job.

If you already knew about ASICs in 10th grade, I'd say you're ahead of the game already! :)

Congratulations on your admission to U of Waterloo. At graduate school 8 years ago, I met some B.S. grads from Waterloo -- their EE department+curriculuum has an outstanding work/co-op component. If the co-op still exists, you'll get extremely valuable work experience in a field (hopefully) close to your desired career/niche. Students routinely complain about classes heavy on theory, but light on practical (vocational) applications -- the co-op is an attempt to balance theory and practice. My classmates raved about it.

I was sort of jealous, since most US universities are lacking in this respect (engineering co-op.) Some US universities (like U-M Ann Arbor) do have sizeable co-op programs -- but the students I spoke to were 'meh' about it. (Most were equivalent to summer jobs; some were semi-technical in nature, others were merely non-technical 'temp-work' jobs.)

1. It is a resume builder. For many students applying for a job at the Masters level, it is difficult to get hired due to little or no work experience. You need to prove to an employer that you can handle a 40 hour a week job successfully.

I'd have thought the day-long interview process (for new college grads) screens out the weak and untalented. If you don't mind me asking, how many new hires 'drop out' of their job, due to inability to fulfill a 40-hour work week? (My biased opinion says it's a non-issue for U-Waterloo grads!) ;)

asicnewbie said:
If the co-op still exists, you'll get extremely valuable work experience in a field (hopefully) close to your desired career/niche. Students routinely complain about classes heavy on theory, but light on practical (vocational) applications -- the co-op is an attempt to balance theory and practice. My classmates raved about it.

I was sort of jealous, since most US universities are lacking in this respect (engineering co-op.) Some US universities (like U-M Ann Arbor) do have sizeable co-op programs -- but the students I spoke to were 'meh' about it. (Most were equivalent to summer jobs; some were semi-technical in nature, others were merely non-technical 'temp-work' jobs.)

You know UW has the largest co-op program on Earth. It's still going strong. They won't give up a gem like that easily! btw, I'm also at UW and went there with the same intentions as the thread author, and pretty much the same cicumstances. In fact, I wrote my first wireframe 3d renderer in grade 10. Learning the matrix/vector algebra for that was a bit tricky, but the matrix & quaternion FAQ at GameDev.net was a lifesaver.

Anyways, I've since drifted from that goal and gotten more into the software side of things. Now I've started a demoscene team and we'll see where it takes me.

Thanks for all the feedback in this thread so far! I decided to go for the Masters of Applied Science. As I did my undergraduate in Engineering Science at U of Toronto as well, they have an excellent 16 month internship program where I had the opportunity to work at ATI. I know that ATI is very good for supporting the U Waterloo co op program as well as the U Toronto PEY (professional expererience year) program.

DudeMiester: I was looking for putting together (or join) a demo team that was somewhat local to toronto/ontario. Are you looking for coders at all? What is the name? I would be interested to hear more about it.

Congratulations on your admission to U of Waterloo. At graduate school 8 years ago, I met some B.S. grads from Waterloo -- their EE department+curriculuum has an outstanding work/co-op component. If the co-op still exists, you'll get extremely valuable work experience in a field (hopefully) close to your desired career/niche. Students routinely complain about classes heavy on theory, but light on practical (vocational) applications -- the co-op is an attempt to balance theory and practice. My classmates raved about it.

Yep the co-op is still going strong.... this is pretty much the only reason I choose waterloo. I was completely torn for the longest time between u of t and waterloo and the co-op is what made the difference.

You know UW has the largest co-op program on Earth. It's still going strong. They won't give up a gem like that easily! btw, I'm also at UW and went there with the same intentions as the thread author, and pretty much the same cicumstances. In fact, I wrote my first wireframe 3d renderer in grade 10. Learning the matrix/vector algebra for that was a bit tricky, but the matrix & quaternion FAQ at GameDev.net was a lifesaver.

So how did you like the experience @ waterloo? Did the co-op integrate into your school year easily enough? I've had complaints (mostly from pro - u of t people lol) that breaking up studies with co-ops in 4 months blocks can break up your rhythm.... they complained that the transition from working to studies to working again was tough. Anyways I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'm REALLY looking forward to university though, seriously high school was 99% BS 1% content. I think the only course that really advanced my understanding of anything was 12 physics, I'm totally ready for a change.

Back