GPU Ray Tracing Performance Comparisons [2021-2022]

The contant fan speed method is really going to have to depend on your noise floor tolerance and/or heatsink side. This method typically really only works for people who do have relatively high noise floor tolerances. You'd basically have to, as you noticed, set your fan speed to what can handle your most used high load scenario (in this case gaming) which I guess would result in a noise floor higher than you like.

Hysteresis is the other option (and also what the other person is referring to) combined with a more relaxed fan curve on the lower temperature.

Also it's a bit dependent on the heatsink as well. Someone with a large tower vs. using the say the stock Wraith Prism is going to have more room to work with. The Wraith Prism is very capable, but it's still working with much less mass/surface area than those large towers.

Yeah I'm looking for silence on the desktop and barely audible or as close as possible while gaming. I am using the stock Prism though so don't expect miracles.

https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases Use fancontrol and set your ramps to how you want.

Thanks, I'm using MSI Dragon Centre at the moment which I've found to be pretty good. Although I'm not sure right now if I can change the fan response times through it. I might switch to the BIOS if not.

That's a great idea and I think I know the setting you mean. I'll definitely try that, thanks!

I did try the flat profile last night with CPU fan set to 30% (near silent) and the rest of my fans set similarly quiet but in just a few minutes of gaming the CPU was reading into the 80's so that's a no go.
You using the stock AMD fan too?

3080, but when I had a 1060 it was still 120fps or bust
trying something similar on the 1060 3GB -the model that I had- meant choosing between the best gameplay experience or some eyesight issues. As of currently, I managed to get Doom Eternal running at 165fps like 95% of the time and when I set the display to 60fps in W11, the framerate looks so jerky all of a sudden. It takes some time to "accept" 60fps again, although I consider it an okay framerate.

I had to disable Raytracing to run Doom Eternal at 165fps, but it doesn't matter much in that game. To do so I set the global setting to High -only Ultra Nightmare for textures-, XeSS Balanced -mod- on a native 1440p screen and the game looks gorgeous and becomes a blast to play, sometimes the action just too crazy. Not my favourite Doom 'cos of the "platforming" and sometimes it's tough to find where to go, but at 165fps, makes it easier on the eyes to navigate the map or look for the exact place you must go next.

The RT average is a bit missleading for the 7900 series. We have see very good results, fighting with 3090, but in other games it crumbles pretty hard, so, weird.

But yeah the 4090 is a beast. With frame generation, I wonder if it's best to go 40xx or upgrade your cpu when you're cpu limited...

The RT average is a bit missleading for the 7900 series. We have see very good results, fighting with 3090, but in other games it crumbles pretty hard, so, weird.

But yeah the 4090 is a beast. With frame generation, I wonder if it's best to go 40xx or upgrade your cpu when you're cpu limited...
Did you mean the 3090 Ti? Because even in Cyberpunk and Control, the 7900 XTX is close to the 3090. It's really only in path traced games that it drops below that.

Did you mean the 3090 Ti? Because even in Cyberpunk and Control, the 7900 XTX is close to the 3090. It's really only in path traced games that it drops below that.

No I meant 3090, but I was talking about xt and xtx, it's not that far off anyway.
30xx seems more predictable in rt performances than rdna3, that's all I meant in the end :)

Been offered the chance to swap my 3060ti for a 6900XT with a little cash my end but I'm not not sure what to do.

Raster performance will obviously be a huge increase and the extra VRAM will be useful.

RT performance is generally faster on the 6900XT as it just brute forces its way above the 3060ti.

But, no DLSS is kind of putting me off.

Been offered the chance to swap my 3060ti for a 6900XT with a little cash my end but I'm not not sure what to do.

Raster performance will obviously be a huge increase and the extra VRAM will be useful.

RT performance is generally faster on the 6900XT as it just brute forces its way above the 3060ti.

But, no DLSS is kind of putting me off.

Personally I'd do it, especially if you're getting some cash back as well which can go towards a future GPU purchase. I'm with you on no DLSS being a big put off, but FSR2 is definitely serviceable and proliferating more and more as we move forwards and TAUU will almost certainly be available in all UE5 based titles which is also serviceable. I'd say it's an acceptable price to pay for the extra performance across the board and additional memory.

Personally I'd do it, especially if you're getting some cash back as well which can go towards a future GPU purchase. I'm with you on no DLSS being a big put off, but FSR2 is definitely serviceable and proliferating more and more as we move forwards and TAUU will almost certainly be available in all UE5 based titles which is also serviceable. I'd say it's an acceptable price to pay for the extra performance across the board and additional memory.

I will need to give him cash as the 6900XT was/is a much more expensive GPU than the 3060ti ever was.

He needs to move to a smaller ITX build and the 6900XT he has is massive where as my 3060ti is the smaller ITX version.

I will need to give him cash as the 6900XT was/is a much more expensive GPU than the 3060ti ever was.

He needs to move to a smaller ITX build and the 6900XT he has is massive where as my 3060ti is the smaller ITX version.

Ah, then if you have to add money as well that could change the equation depending on how much he's asking for it. You've gotta compare that cash + the resell cost of your 3060Ti vs what you could pick up in the next few months I guess.

Back