Gpu Architecture for noob

Bhairava

Newcomer
Hi all, i have been reading your forums and articles since long time. I'm very intrested in gpu architecture, but i'm a beginner and sometimes i don't understand what your are talking about (vliw, render-to-target, etc). Can you give me a tip about where i can read a good introduction for noob? Thanks.

You might also want to read up on CPU architectures, as the two are related.
For example, the term VLIW that you mention is not specifically a GPU-related term.
It means Very Large Instruction Word, and describes a certain philosophy of designing an instructionset for a processor. VLIW was applied in CPUs long before GPUs became popular.

Start making Opengl/DX apps. That's what I did. Initially you would be using the "fixed function pipeline" but from there you could switch over to programmable pipeline. IMHO, there's no way you can learn about GPU's without learning about the graphics that they are meant to do.

Yeah, well, Scali also has a point there, because once you start learning about GPUs eventually you'll have to/want to start learning about CPUs (and then other components because etc), and then you start programming for them and then insanity follows and you make a 3D Engine in Excel. Or something:D

Start making Opengl/DX apps. That's what I did. Initially you would be using the "fixed function pipeline" but from there you could switch over to programmable pipeline. IMHO, there's no way you can learn about GPU's without learning about the graphics that they are meant to do.

Yea, I suppose it depends on how you approach the subject...
1) Are you interested in just the processing capabilities? Ie, what sort of instructions do GPUs use, how are they programmed, how is this implemented in hardware?
I suppose this is mostly a hardware engineering approach, or perhaps related to GPGPU, rather than graphics directly.

2) Are you interested in how you can render pretty pictures with a GPU? As in, how can you use the GPU's processing power to implement certain effects, how efficient are they at various tasks etc...
This is more about actually writing software for 3D rendering, and understanding the GPU in a practical context.

Thank you all for helping me. I don't want to be a programmer,i dont have time/competence. I'm a game player, i build gaming pc and i'd like to understand something more. I use to read reviews on Anandtech, Guru3d etc., so i know basically what are graphic pipeline, sp, Rops etc. When i read something deeper i don't understand anymore.
I will take a look to the links you provided me and i will follow Scali's raccomandation.
Thanks.

Back