GOW Hands On! - (Looking better than E3!)

1up has just released a hands on for GOW from the latest Final Dev Kits.

It's been up and running for abou 2 weeks, they framerate is close to final, and they've stated the game in it's curretnstate is running on only ONE core. Epic claims it's shoudl looke ever better by the time it's released.

"And it looks better than it did at E3. Not drastically better (or even drastically different, given that the level they showed was one of the levels that was shown at E3), but for those worried about the company not being able to produce the same level of quality in the visuals, this undeniably shows that the game will look that good (or better, if Epic is to be believed)."
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3143680&did=1

No new shots, just impressions

What's new is the fact that last time we saw the game it was on PC, now it's on actual hardware and is looking even better. Alot of people were wondering if the game would take a step down from the PC to Dev-Kit.

but they also state that (in the full article)the framerate is still 'so so' hope they correct that out in time.

either way, looking forward to this, hope it plays well as it looks

"The framerate appears to be improved on the E3 version as well, and though it's still not 100% perfect in all areas -- the game doesn't come out until 2006, after all -- it's clearly well within reach and we don't see the occasional hiccups showing up in the final version at all."

all in all, it's very good news for anyone who can't wait to play what we saw at E3.

scooby_dooby said:
"The framerate appears to be improved on the E3 version as well, and though it's still not 100% perfect in all areas -- the game doesn't come out until 2006, after all -- it's clearly well within reach and we don't see the occasional hiccups showing up in the final version at all."

all in all, it's very good news for anyone who can't wait to play what we saw at E3.

What shocked me is the fact that the game is only using one core. I can't wait to see what a game looks/runs like off of all three.

the devkits had 2 cores(cpu's) to play with .. why would they put it on 1 core....
hmm, maybe its a pc port from the alpha stage....

Maybe, there isn't much going on underneath the pretty graphics. The game looking good could all be a result of the GPU, the UE3 engine relies heavily on shaders afterall. Besides this game is coming to the PC as well, they certainly can't make an engine that can't run on a PC CPU, so it may very well be that the CPU isn't really being pushed, because it doesn't need to be.

Mefisutoferesu said:
Maybe, there isn't much going on underneath the pretty graphics. The game looking good could all be a result of the GPU, the UE3 engine relies heavily on shaders afterall. Besides this game is coming to the PC as well, they certainly can't make an engine that can't run on a PC CPU, so it may very well be that the CPU isn't really being pushed, because it doesn't need to be.

The PC version doesn't need to have all the features of the console version.

Mefisutoferesu said:

There was alot going on in Halo despite it being run on a 733mhz CPU, the AI, Gameplay and Physics were all pretty damn good.

Maybe the CPU isn't a complete dog like everyone thinks, and the GPU is as good as it's rumored?

Scooby, that's true enough, but at the same time that doesn't mean the AI routines were particularly complex... remember the thread about the Killzone AI? Complex AI that eats lots of CPU power doesn't necsearily equal better. Maybe the AI is just as good as H2, but that's doesn't mean there's a lot going on underneath. And, again, you can say the same thing about physics we don't know what level or to what extent they're used in the game -- least I don't. Could be the majority of it is animations with simple ragdoll physics. If the Xbox CPU can do that handily, I don't see why 1 core on the XeCPU couldn't as well. I can't imagine one core could handle all that and say GI or raytraced reflections, but we know that the UE3 engine fakes a LOT of that into simpler algorithms.

Just because there's a lot going on doesn't mean it's bad or, in case jonny referencing me, make the comments something a PS fanboi could only dream up. More isn't alway better. Sheesh.

scooby_dooby said:
Maybe the CPU isn't a complete dog like everyone thinks, and the GPU is as good as it's rumored?
Or maybe the compiler is just damned amazing!

Jawed

As we've seen UE3 running off a PPE too, seeing only one core is needed isn't that surprising. I'm guessing that at the moment it's basically a PC-level UE3 product, with the same level of physics, AI etc. as a single core PC game. Apart from sterling visuals it doesn't look any more of a game than say HalfLife or Doom3 to my untrained eye. I imagine later products will use the other cores to add more in the way of physics and more enemies etc. if these haven't been added to GOW by the time the game sees release. The key point is that this is achieving in a £200 console what it'd take a £1000 gaming PC to manage, and the XB360 isn't even being tapped out.

Actually I was fairly surprised by the fact it was on one core. Sure we've seen a demo of UE3 running on one core, but it wasn't a total game, just 2 people fighting. I'm surprised the X360 can pump out a game of this quality using just one of the cores, I don't know if that speaks to the strengths of the CPU, or the GPU, or both.

As far as people thinking this game is nothing but graphics, are you forgetting what sounds like an amazing storyline? The entire game is based around the single player experience and storytelling, I'm hoping it's much better than a Doom3 type shoot em up.

I think 'not much more than graphics' is more about technical demands without trying to guess the worth of the game as entertainment. We know it looks great. What else is the engine having to do that demands lots of three cores? Has it got for example rampaging armies of 1000 units all needing AI and physics based animation (if not it's one of maybe two games that don't. Even PGR has stupid numbers of people! :p)? At the moment the gameplay from what I've seen is no more than existing games in that there's some dozen units in a fire fight with a bit of small-scale physics. Do we know if there's gonna be more than that?

We know they are pouring alot of effort into the storyline. Have you read the concept slides? This game sounds really really intersting, it's definately not going to be weak on story heavy on action.

Heck, All Halo was was a pretty game with extremely polished gameplay, really good AI and a great story. When all those things come together, it makes for a great hit.

I agree with you though that tthere's no real reason this game should require huge AI or Physics power, it's not one of those games with 100's of characters on screen.

Back