Good books to learn Graphics Programming

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Hello,

Im looking at improving my knowledge in graphics programming. And am looking for good books and in what order should I learn them. What I mean is what topics should I learn and in what order. :)

Thank you for any and all assistance.
later,

You might wanna start with a healthy dose of math. A little bit of physics (optics to be exact) is nice as well.

After that I think there is a book called, Computer Graphics: Principles and applications, which is board favourite. Check out stuff on the web. I think it's gameprogramming.com which has great tutorials for OGL and SDL as well, me thinks.

Thanks saem, for replying. Ive had 4 years of math (calc, diff eq, linear algebra, and few other), physics (optics) is an area that Im not strong in, so i might get something for it.
I think the site you meant was www.gametutorials.com :)
Thanks for suggesting that book. are current topics like shadows, shaders,... and such discussed in this book. I wouldnt consinder my self a newbie in graphics programming, I am pretty good at c++, and can create simple objects, with opengl. Thats where Id like to start picking up my knowledge. If there are any books sites that have tutorials, on:
stencil shadows/reflection, per pixel lighting, shaders,...
what other topics am i missing?

Hope you guys/gal can help me out.
thanks

My recommendations include:

• "Computer Graphics. Principles and Practice". Foley et al. : (The graphics bible)
  • "Advanced Animation and Rendering Techniques" Watt & Watt.
  • "Real-Time Rendering" 2nd edition. Akenine-Möller & Haines.

The "Graphics Gems" series and Blinn's "Jim Blinn's Corner" books are also worthy of a look.

I recommend books that focus on one topic, not just OpenGL or DirectX or Raytracing or etc... since they generally do go into enough depth.

Back